The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to try the same strategy leading up to the Grandaddy. Once a week will be primarily (if not solely) short game.

I just wish that the jerkface superintendent at the course/range that I use would not use Sunday pin placements for the putting green. Everything is on a severe slope. The putting feels much, much better. But, the greens/holes are so difficult that keeping the putt within 6" is a heck of an accomplishment for a lot of putts.

That's just stupid. We have a similar place here. The practice green is more unduating than any green on the course. Sucks because it rolls nicely and is big, but I think you need to see and hear putts dropping when you practice.

It's really stupid. We have a very similar putting green -- really large with lots of undulation.

I think the idea is to keep the pins towards the outside of the practice green (occasionally, there is one in the middle, where it's flatter), but everything ends up right on a slope. I agree that the lack of feedback is an issue, but it is awesome to see the line and nail a 1-2' uphill bender.

I'll see if the technique carries onto the course. If I'm having trouble, I'll probably ask the pro shop if I can use a teaching green that is a little removed from the course. It looks a little flatter.

You want to practice tough ones too, but sometimes it gets out of hand. On the flip side, the green I used the other day is completely level. Not really ideal either. Should be able to do some uphill/downhill putts. I need to just open a practice facility like my old club had. I miss it.

Had a friendly cash tournament on Saturday so I hit the range briefly on Friday night. Was debating on throwing my DPC's back in the bag because they just look lonely. So I took the 6-8-PW from that set and hit them against the AMP Cells. I hit them both really well and decided to stick with the cells for that next round. But man I forgot how good those DPC's feel with the KBS Tour shaft. It has me pondering those shafts again for the AMP Cells. All in all it was a really good range session, something I haven't had time for in the past month+.

Had a friendly cash tournament on Saturday so I hit the range briefly on Friday night. Was debating on throwing my DPC's back in the bag because they just look lonely. So I took the 6-8-PW from that set and hit them against the AMP Cells. I hit them both really well and decided to stick with the cells for that next round. But man I forgot how good those DPC's feel with the KBS Tour shaft. It has me pondering those shafts again for the AMP Cells. All in all it was a really good range session, something I haven't had time for in the past month+.

Glad you had a good range session. Did it carry over to the course?

Might be fun to see what happens with the KBS's in the Cells

Glad you had a good range session. Did it carry over to the course?

Might be fun to see what happens with the KBS's in the Cells

it did until the final few holes. Had 3 birdies on the day, was 4 over through 13, and finished at +11. I think I just got exhausted by the end of the round. I've only played a full 18 once prior to that since the MC.

I saw a post somewhere on here about a good putting drill and wow did I see dividends this past weekend. The post suggested to warm up before a round on the putting green with very very short putts to start. Make a ton of small 2-3 or even 1 foot putts in a row, get a feel for making putts and seeing the ball go in the hole. Move back a couple feet at a time repeating until you back to baout 20 ft or so. I know this sounds like a no brainer but I did this on Sat and one of best putting days of my life. It really helped me with my speed. Not one 3 jack all day.

I like it msp. Might just try that out next time. I like to make some putts right before I leave. The last thing I did Saturday was drain five 5-footers and tried to remember that feeling when I played.

For me when I am on a roll I feel like I can a putt from anywhere. The thoughts go from cozy this one up nice for a par to trying to make anything you roll. Hitting long drives feels nice but putting for birdie from 20ft tops it for me.

I agree. I like to play inside 100 yards. Probably helps that I'm better at it than elsewhere lol.

Today I work on teeing the ball a little higher and see if I can get rid of the backspin I've developed. According to the Swingbyte, I'm hitting down on the driver anywhere from 5-10 degrees. I need to stop that. My swing speed has increased from about 98 to 103 since the last time I was on a monitor of any sort, so I should definitely be getting more distance that what I'm seeing.

Erica and I changed some things around with work schedules to give the boy a better chance at doing well in school. It's basically going to mean the end of much meaningful range time for me during the work week. She's going to lose out on her gym time as well. We're going to hope for an evening each during the week, but I'm not counting on anything at this point. Hard call, but had to be done.

Hoping I can find a way to keep sharp. Might be time to get a little creative.

Any chance to get up with the sun and hit the range at the crack of dawn?

Erica and I changed some things around with work schedules to give the boy a better chance at doing well in school. It's basically going to mean the end of much meaningful range time for me during the work week. She's going to lose out on her gym time as well. We're going to hope for an evening each during the week, but I'm not counting on anything at this point. Hard call, but had to be done.

Good on ya for doing the right thing! I bet you will figure out an alternative practice plan.

Muggy as all get out today, had to wear two gloves to hold on, but I managed to sweat my way through another good practice hole session. Still working with the abbreviated back swing. Seem to have lost a few yds today, don't know why, but still able to keep the ball on or just off the green from ~100 with my sand wedge. I'll take that any day if I can keep hitting as straight and consistent as I have been.

It's funny because I can hit my 56* 10-15 yds further by taking a longer backswing, but my dispersion goes up about the same amount, or sometimes more.

Family comes first. Keep at it, you'll find a way buddy

Ok boys, take the women and children to higher ground, the apocalypse is near. Cats and dogs will be living together at any moment.

Maybe it has to do with the #TheKing clue being announced tonight, but I had a range session tonight and I hit a draw. Not one or two, and not by mistake. I hit a whole dang bucket of them. Some were pull-draws, some were push draws, but an awful lot of them had the perfect draw flight.

I'm still in shock. Next thing you know, congress will agree on something.

Keep up the Good work Wade.. The draw is awesome but it can get out of hand in a hurry!!!!!

Understood. I'm a bit less worried about overdoing it than most people since I haven't historically been a draw hitter. However, it's exciting to me for a number of reasons:

1) Most importantly, it's not about hitting the actual draw, but about using a more correct swing path, cutting across the ball less, and reducing the amount of spin on my ball. I've been getting so much spin I've been losing massive distance. So even if my ball doesn't draw or still fades some, with a more correct swing path, it's going to go farther and be a more manageable shot shape.

2) I'm excited about the potential of having both shot shapes in my bag. If I can develop it, it can only make me a better golfer. Additionally, I'm of the belief that if one can develop their ability to work the ball both ways, over time, their dispersion error will start to reduce.

Hey - The DreamTeam is family, too.

But, I guess going for "family" family is the right thing to do.

Captain Hawk will be ready to lead the dream team. I have no doubt about that

Truth. He's done a great job already. Just don't tell him I said that.

Any chance to get up with the sun and hit the range at the crack of dawn?

Good on ya for doing the right thing! I bet you will figure out an alternative practice plan.

Truth. He's done a great job already. Just don't tell him I said that.

Now you can't delete it. #internetisforever.

Thanks guys. As the days get shorter, it will make things a little more difficult, but we do have a lighted range. I also have access to a LM and can practice indoors if I want to go that route. Just going to be different.

On that note, one last normal day yesterday so the boy and I hit the range. Typical stuff. Just wanted to hit some balls and build on the confidence I got from Sunday. Short trip to the putting green afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back