GHIN counts your ten best scores out of your last twenty rounds. The index is designed to be a 'potential to score' more than what you SHOULD score every time out on course.

Maybe it's doing the same thing using SwingbySwing... Either way, Congrats on 0.5!!!!!

thanks but my last entry was in june .. in all honesty the best 10 out of my last 20 there are probably a bunch of 76-79 so I think it would be fair to say im playing more like a 4 or 5..idk I think im gonna sign back up for usga and get an official ghin again.

thanks but my last entry was in june .. in all honesty the best 10 out of my last 20 there are probably a bunch of 76-79 so I think it would be fair to say im playing more like a 4 or 5..idk I think im gonna sign back up for usga and get an official ghin again.

OOB calculates exactly the same as GHIN, if you just want to know the number and don't care about the official status. I used to use SBS, but you're right, something is screwy with their formula.

OOB calculates exactly the same as GHIN, if you just want to know the number and don't care about the official status. I used to use SBS, but you're right, something is screwy with their formula.

lol ok I thought I was alone haha maybe they are trying to boost egos! I think I do want a ghin.. I can use that to gauge when im ready to try out for the senior tour lol

lol ok I thought I was alone haha maybe they are trying to boost egos! I think I do want a ghin.. I can use that to gauge when im ready to try out for the senior tour lol

Do it!!!

...or if not, at least the Senior Am haha

I'm shorter than you, so I'd probably modify this and play to about 90 yards (my full 58* is more like 80 yards), but the idea is excellent. Especially considering my current distance does not frequently allow me to go for par 5's in two anyway - why mash it up there with a 2h or 3w and chance missing it (which I have done NUMEROUS times) when I can hit less than that? Will try to think about this next time out, thanks Dan.

At the end of the day, I think it's important to analyze what the more effective shot is for you into par 5s. Are you better with a half wedge or a full wedge? Is the trouble around the green worth an attempt at reaching it in two? Where your best shot into the green lies, how safe is the landing area?

The par 5s at my course are all quite a bit different from one another. The first plays 540 on the card, and here's a diagram of what I am talking about..

Par5play.png

The red line indicates my driver length and best case scenario. The yellow circle indicates my potential miss because I play a draw if not a pull draw. As you can see, my potential for error there is high, by going left into the heather which is an absolute disaster right there. Basically better to lose your ball than find it. Even if I do make my perfect shot with driver though, I still have to hit around the tree that makes the turn with the hole. With something likely in the 220-240+ range to the hole, it's a forced shot shape that starts the ball over another tree and OB before turning back into the hole to roll up and avoid the greenside bunkers. The shot is basically impossible.

What the blue lines represent, is how I now play that hole. I take my three wood and hit it out to the middle with room to miss left with my standard shot shape. from there, it's usually a long iron, typically a 5-6 iron and sometimes a 4 iron out to the 100 yard marker, or slightly less or more depending on hole location. Then an easier wedge because I am playing from the left side so I am playing to miss right/left as opposed to the right side of the hole, which would force me to get the line right and be flexible on number.

it's all about picking your spots to score and go for it. In this case, I haven't been in the heather on the left since April because I typically can't reach it with a three wood, and more often than not have at worst a PW in my hands going for the green to attempt a birdie. this, to me, is what makes me a better golfer (as compared to 2012 Canadan).

Last edited:
Dan,

I have been in your shoes before brother. Though, sad to say I'm not there anymore. Back when I first finished up a K-State, I accepted a Pro Shop position at a golf course near Manhattan while my wife finished college. I was there for a few months when they offered the Asst. Golf Pro position to me, and I gladly accepted. It was a dream fulfilled at that time. It also came with (in my mind) more pressure to preform on the course like a "Pro". I was on the range and putting green a ton, and the course just as much. I watched my handicap go from 2.1 down to a 0.8 before the winter came. I SOOOO wanted to get to a "plus" handicap like my good friend who was the Head Golf Pro. I was sooooo close I could taste it. I had a bunch of rounds at par, or 1 under or 1 over...but I knew I needed to get lower. Not for lack of trying, but one day I was sitting on the 18th tee box and I knew all I needed to do was get a birdie for 69, and I sore in my mind that would tick me over to a "plus". I got my birdie, but the math wasn't there, and I never....at least to this day...have got to my "plus" handicap.
No, I don't get to play as much as I use to. Not for lack of wanting, but family and life in general. I see streaks of my old game when I play, but not the consistency I use to have, or the lines of birdies you mentioned.
Honestly, I think it will take being picked for a larger event like the MC or TheKing to get me back to that form. I think then, my wife would let me (at least until the event was done) really focus on my game again, so I can play as well as I would want to. I know that sounds selfish, and maybe it is, but I'm confident I can get back to that form again.
I look forward to following you progress. I too, love watching and playing with good golfers. It's a joy to watch a guy who knows how to play, play well. It always drove me to do the same. Sometimes those cards come up, hopefully in 2014 they will again, for both of us!

Awesome Dan, after seeing your game in person, I know you'll be able to reach any goals you put in front of yourself. You've got game man, I'm envious!!!

At the end of the day, I think it's important to analyze what the more effective shot is for you into par 5s. Are you better with a half wedge or a full wedge? Is the trouble around the green worth an attempt at reaching it in two? Where your best shot into the green lies, how safe is the landing area?

The par 5s at my course are all quite a bit different from one another. The first plays 540 on the card, and here's a diagram of what I am talking about..

Par5play.png

The red line indicates my driver length and best case scenario. The yellow circle indicates my potential miss because I play a draw if not a pull draw. As you can see, my potential for error there is high, by going left into the heather which is an absolute disaster right there. Basically better to lose your ball than find it. Even if I do make my perfect shot with driver though, I still have to hit around the tree that makes the turn with the hole. With something likely in the 220-240+ range to the hole, it's a forced shot shape that starts the ball over another tree and OB before turning back into the hole to roll up and avoid the greenside bunkers. The shot is basically impossible.

What the blue lines represent, is how I now play that hole. I take my three wood and hit it out to the middle with room to miss left with my standard shot shape. from there, it's usually a long iron, typically a 5-6 iron and sometimes a 4 iron out to the 100 yard marker, or slightly less or more depending on hole location. Then an easier wedge because I am playing from the left side so I am playing to miss right/left as opposed to the right side of the hole, which would force me to get the line right and be flexible on number.

it's all about picking your spots to score and go for it. In this case, I haven't been in the heather on the left since April because I typically can't reach it with a three wood, and more often than not have at worst a PW in my hands going for the green to attempt a birdie. this, to me, is what makes me a better golfer.

Well said. I'm all about getting a PW or 52* wedge in my hand, because I hit those the best, and like most, my distance control with half wedges is iffy. To go through the exercise with your hole here, I play a slight fade with most clubs, and being that my driver distance is about 250, I'm gonna be aiming at the left of your 3 wood miss zone with my driver. Then hit a 3 hybrid or 4 iron up the left side to allow for fade, leaving me around 95 yards to gun for the pin. Although I'd probably play this hole a tee shorter than you, so maybe I hit the 3 wood off the tee instead.

I need to do a better job of this when on the course though. Particularly thinking about the misses, and especially if I've had a bad hole or two - I get stupid and try to force it sometimes after those types of holes, instead of keeping the big numbers out.

You've put in a ton of work dude and its paying off big time for you dude! I believe you'll get to that + handicap soon dude.

Keep dropping scores like you have been and you'll be a pluser in no time!

This is a great, inspirational thread.

I've only recently come to the conclusion that there may be some slight chance of me getting to scratch within 2-3 years if I really work at. Over the past several years, I had kind of gone away from the game. This year, I've made a real effort to play more. Generally, that means 1-2 times per week, which is really about as much as I can manage between work and family. But it has really paid off. Within the last few weeks, I've shot my best 18-hole round ever, a 72 (+1), and last weekend was -2 on the 15th tee before two stupid swings resulted in consecutive doubles. These last few weeks are the first time I've ever really thought that maybe I had the potential to score well and my handicap has come down to a 5.3 from a 9 to start the summer.

A lot of my better scoring has been due to better putting, but I know that to really improve, I need to spend more time practicing. I hope to really be able to practice my short game over the winter because putting is something I can do at home, even if it is not exactly like the real thing. Practicing on the range is tougher for me due to time contraints and is something that really has the potential to hold me back. Like others, I have swing flaws creep in and without practice, I end up just trying to play with them. For example, even as I've begun scoring better, I have started leaving the club face wide open on my driver, resulting in a big push fade miss that I'm not used to (I usually play a slight draw) and I'm not really sure how to get rid of it.

But long story short, even if it is a little while before I can really dedicate myself to give scratch a real effort (if I ever can), it's awesome to hear these stories!

Dan I've told you numerous times you have the game to take this to another level beyond the scratch goal. You have a repeatable swing, distance and a golf head. I've never played with you so I don't know how you manage your game, putts or short game. I assume its pretty tight with some of the scores you out up.

But you're a head case when I comes to your swing. I feel you are looking for that percent move or position. When you should be grooving your repeatable swing. We all miss in the course of play, it doesn't warrant a rebuild of the swing. Stop focusing on the swing and pay closer attention to the result. Because you hit a lot of quality golf shots with your action, I'm sure of it.

Keep the stance, grip and posture together and you'll be find. You'll start scoring and the cap wil fall. More importantly you'll learn how to manage the swing you have when I goes sideways. I have no doubt you can do what you setting out to do.

Dan I've followed your game since arriving here at THP. I've played a round with you in Atlanta, I have no doubt you possess everything you need to go +. It's a matter of time as far as I'm concerned. I can only dream of the chance to sniff at sub 5 at this point. But you've been an inspiration for me to get better. Keep getting after it buddy

Dan I wish you all the best on accomplishing such an awesome goal. Wow what a feat it would be even still being a .5 index has to feel pretty special also. Congrats on that amazing achievement. I havent meet you in person yet, but I have really enjoyed talking hockey with you and look forward to the Fantasy season that is fast approaching.

On another note wanna come to DC and give me some lessons? Haha keep after it man and you will make it happen!

Just read this thread for the first time. With that 68, you are going to get there.

You work your tail off and deserve this. Can't wait to share a round of golf with you buddy!

Dan I've told you numerous times you have the game to take this to another level beyond the scratch goal. You have a repeatable swing, distance and a golf head. I've never played with you so I don't know how you manage your game, putts or short game. I assume its pretty tight with some of the scores you out up.

But you're a head case when I comes to your swing. I feel you are looking for that percent move or position. When you should be grooving your repeatable swing. We all miss in the course of play, it doesn't warrant a rebuild of the swing. Stop focusing on the swing and pay closer attention to the result. Because you hit a lot of quality golf shots with your action, I'm sure of it.

Keep the stance, grip and posture together and you'll be find. You'll start scoring and the cap wil fall. More importantly you'll learn how to manage the swing you have when I goes sideways. I have no doubt you can do what you setting out to do.

I've taken our chats to heart buddy, believe me. The more I play the more I am committed to my swing.

Dan I've followed your game since arriving here at THP. I've played a round with you in Atlanta, I have no doubt you possess everything you need to go +. It's a matter of time as far as I'm concerned. I can only dream of the chance to sniff at sub 5 at this point. But you've been an inspiration for me to get better. Keep getting after it buddy

You're easily a 5 buddy. You just need to trust in it!

Dan I wish you all the best on accomplishing such an awesome goal. Wow what a feat it would be even still being a .5 index has to feel pretty special also. Congrats on that amazing achievement. I havent meet you in person yet, but I have really enjoyed talking hockey with you and look forward to the Fantasy season that is fast approaching.

On another note wanna come to DC and give me some lessons? Haha keep after it man and you will make it happen!

haha, I'd settle for a round together and some great golf chat!! For those who haven't met me in person, fair warning, I don't really shut the golf talk off...

Just read this thread for the first time. With that 68, you are going to get there.

You work your tail off and deserve this. Can't wait to share a round of golf with you buddy!

That will be a BLAST Cookie!!

Canadan;2439483 You're easily a 5 buddy. You just need to trust in it! !![/QUOTE said:
i have the solution, move closer to Canadan and watch the cap go down....genius!

Great thread Canadan. I'm looking forward to meeting you in October in Cleveland. It sounds like you've put a lot of time into improving your game and it's definitely paying off. I can relate to this thread on many levels. I've had my bouts with anger on the course and it did nothing but hurt my game. I'm at a 4.7 index so I still have a ways to go to hit scratch. My only advice for you is to not put to much pressure on yourself to "hit that magical number" this year. Living in Ohio it can be tough over the winter to stay loose so you can come out firing in the spring. Whatever happens in the remainder of the season, just stay positive and keep up the good work. Don't get me wrong, I hope you get there sooner than later! Good luck.

Great thread Canadan. I'm looking forward to meeting you in October in Cleveland. It sounds like you've put a lot of time into improving your game and it's definitely paying off. I can relate to this thread on many levels. I've had my bouts with anger on the course and it did nothing but hurt my game. I'm at a 4.7 index so I still have a ways to go to hit scratch. My only advice for you is to not put to much pressure on yourself to "hit that magical number" this year. Living in Ohio it can be tough over the winter to stay loose so you can come out firing in the spring. Whatever happens in the remainder of the season, just stay positive and keep up the good work. Don't get me wrong, I hope you get there sooner than later! Good luck.

Absolutely the 12th will be a blast dude!!! I played some great golf yesterday and just had fun with it.. I'm coming to terms with the idea that scratch should come while having a great time, not freaking out, and it really only made me crazy on the 18th. It's good stuff.

One of my biggest issues is not letting bad holes ruin my mindset. After a bad hole it's hard to think positive. If I threw a couple bogeys on the card early in the round I would think to myself that the round was over and it was down hill from there. My new mindset is to try and get those strokes back, stop the bleeding with a few pars and maybe throw a couple birdies in. It doesn't always go as planned but I play much better when I'm not kicking myself.

I heard a interesting concept today on MD. Dr. Gio V. was on and he was speaking about playing better bad golf before you can play better good golf. Summarized, letting go of bad shots immediately. According to him there is a physiological reaction when you dwell on the bad shot.

I want to find out more about this and may seek his council. I think his principals will spill over into everyday life.

Congrats Dan. I hope you get there soon. I have found the days I play better are when I am loose yet focused. In other words having fun but not getting loosey goosey. I hope we get teed up together in Vegas.

I heard a interesting concept today on MD. Dr. Gio V. was on and he was speaking about playing better bad golf before you can play better good golf. Summarized, letting go of bad shots immediately. According to him there is a physiological reaction when you dwell on the bad shot.

I want to find out more about this and may seek his council. I think his principals will spill over into everyday life.

I think we all try to do this (at least I try to) but that can be hard, to say the least. Just because it's human nature. I always felt like I needed to hit a good shot, right after a bad one to get me back on track. Which is easier said, than done. It is a good principal to carry with you for everyday life though.

I think we all try to do this (at least I try to) but that can be hard, to say the least. Just because it's human nature. I always felt like I needed to hit a good shot, right after a bad one to get me back on track. Which is easier said, than done. It is a good principal to carry with you for everyday life though.

As I have gotten older my goal has always been to be a good positions after a bad shot. I've tried to make the conscience effort to hit a 'good' shot and it was always more pressure. When I let the technique be my focus my recovery is always better.
I have learned to let go but I think there is more to it than that. I hope a few session will show me what I am missing in golf and life.

As I have gotten older my goal has always been to be a good positions after a bad shot. I've tried to make the conscience effort to hit a 'good' shot and it was always more pressure. When I let the technique be my focus my recovery is always better.
I have learned to let go but I think there is more to it than that. I hope a few session will show me what I am missing in golf and life.

That's good advice and a great way to look at things, Tadashi!

Congrats Dan. I know that this has been a goal of yours for awhile and its been fun to follow from afar and up close. While I think I'm leveled off and won't get much better its great to see you really succeed and continue to get better. If you ever need a looper just let me know...lol

Back