A tough pitch/chip - how would you play it?

SkiBumGolfer

Tremendous slouch
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I was practicing short game yesterday, and this particular shot confounded me. The ball is the red dot, the pin is the yellow square outlined in blue (excuse the crude sketch):

awkwardchip_zpsfe6020f9.jpg

Except with the opposite break (i.e. breaking downhill toward the flag, and continuing downhill after the flag). So basically you have to use a higher lofted wedge to carry all the fringe in front of you and land it just as the green starts, so it checks and rolls slowly down the hill and ends up close. If you short it, you're still in the fringe and have very little chance of making the putt, and if you hit it a little too far, you blow it by the flag.

How would you guys approach this? It struck me as a really tough shot - kicked my butt on the practice green.

If its that hard, I would play to the middle of the green and try and make the putt.

First thought is a 7 or 8 iron to just lift it over the corner but can't visualize the break from the description and pic, to me, the arrows should be pointing downhill so my brain isn't dealing with it!

If its that hard, I would play to the middle of the green and try and make the putt.

Yep. You don't want to leave it short off the green and have a tougher next shot. You don't want to put it long off the green either, pin is awful close to the back edge. Yet hitting it in the center looks like you are left with a huge breaking putt.

Although unless there is some extra stuff going on there that we don't know about, I would probably take my 54° wedge and try to get it somewhat close that way with a pitch shot.

I would probably go for because I am usually able to check up my pitch shots pretty good. I would aim 2 yards left of the flag and try and land it about 1 foot on the green and let it roll out. Should catch that side hill and release towards the pin.

I would be ok with having an uphill come backer...as long as Im not a mile off the green.

I would take my highest loft wedge and open it up some and try and flop about 2 feet on the green and let gravity do the rest for me. Unless you just completely fat it i don't see it hanging up in the fringe as long as you actually get it to the fringe and don't leave it in the long grass short of the fringe. And I don't really see it running out well past hole unless you fly it to far which would probably be about 5 feet and beyond. Worst case if you run it by you have an up hill putt for par.

I would probably go for because I am usually able to check up my pitch shots pretty good. I would aim 2 yards left of the flag and try and land it about 1 foot on the green and let it roll out. Should catch that side hill and release towards the pin.

I would be ok with having an uphill come backer...as long as Im not a mile off the green.

Exactly what I was trying - I just need to not get afraid of it I guess. You're right, better to be long.

I would take my highest loft wedge and open it up some and try and flop about 2 feet on the green and let gravity do the rest for me. Unless you just completely fat it i don't see it hanging up in the fringe as long as you actually get it to the fringe and don't leave it in the long grass short of the fringe. And I don't really see it running out well past hole unless you fly it to far which would probably be about 5 feet and beyond. Worst case if you run it by you have an up hill putt for par.

I hadn't tried opening it up - this is a great idea. I'll have to try this when I get back over there.

Yep. You don't want to leave it short off the green and have a tougher next shot. You don't want to put it long off the green either, pin is awful close to the back edge. Yet hitting it in the center looks like you are left with a huge breaking putt.

Although unless there is some extra stuff going on there that we don't know about, I would probably take my 54° wedge and try to get it somewhat close that way with a pitch shot.

So now I see the arrows point UPHILL, not downhill. I'd still probably take my 54° and try to land it just on the green and let it roll toward the hole.

EDIT: brain fart

Last edited:

That's basically what I was thinking, too. Looking at your picture, I would see a natural back stop until I'm past the pin. If I have a decent lie, I'd grab my 56* and maybe open it up a little (not much) and try to land it up just a little short of the flag. The green slope and my spin should help it check up. If it rolls past, I still have an uphill put coming back.

If the lie it not going to let me hit that shot, then yes, play for bigger part of the green, knowing that I'll probably have a right to left putt to make which is a bit easier for most right handed golfers to make than left to right.

Depends on the lie. If I can comfortably get under the ball, I open up my 64° and flop it close to the hole. If sitting down, I probably don't get aggressive unless just a fun round, I go as close to the hole but toward middle as I feel confident to 2 putt.

So now I see the arrows point UPHILL, not downhill. I'd still probably take my 54° and try to land it just on the green and let it roll toward the hole. Even if you leave it on the fringe, it's still uphill from there.

I think he was saying it was this picture, EXCEPT that the arrows are pointing the wrong way. I may be wrong, but I think he's saying it is truly a downhill chip.

As for my approach, I would chutt the hell out of that thing! Less risk of hitting it thin or fat.

I think he was saying it was this picture, EXCEPT that the arrows are pointing the wrong way. I may be wrong, but I think he's saying it is truly a downhill chip.

As for my approach, I would chutt the hell out of that thing! Less risk of hitting it thin or fat.

Yeah, I think so too, that's why I made that second post. And then I had a brain fart and went back to thinking the arrows pointed downhill! Oops!

Cut lob, hit hard for spin, land it below the flag. I would do all I could to have an uphill putt.

I'd play a 54* and put it very slightly forward in my stance and play a dead handed chip, very little spin and land it only a couple feet on the green and let gravity do the rest. At worst I'd end up with an uphill putt that I have a pretty good read on.

Skull, chili-dip, chip, three putt.

I'd go left of the pin and take what I get.

Chip straight right let it roll to the pin. I'm ok with just passing the flag because I'm good at putting back up hill.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Flop shot.

So I was practicing short game yesterday, and this particular shot confounded me. The ball is the red dot, the pin is the yellow square outlined in blue (excuse the crude sketch):

awkwardchip_zpsfe6020f9.jpg

Except with the opposite break (i.e. breaking downhill toward the flag, and continuing downhill after the flag). So basically you have to use a higher lofted wedge to carry all the fringe in front of you and land it just as the green starts, so it checks and rolls slowly down the hill and ends up close. If you short it, you're still in the fringe and have very little chance of making the putt, and if you hit it a little too far, you blow it by the flag.

How would you guys approach this? It struck me as a really tough shot - kicked my butt on the practice green.

I like that it's all uphill to the hole. I'm playing a lofted pitch that lands short, and either stays short or tucks by the pin. Nothing worse than going long here for me, giving me a firm uphill putt for ideally a par.

@Canadan, if you check again he says it's downhill all the way to, and after the flag.

Skull, chili-dip, chip, three putt.

Yep, that's exactly what I would do too, only I would top the first one for 2 yards, then skull it.

Tapatalking on my IPad

Correct. It runs hard down the slope to the hole.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm gonna be trying this one with a few of the mentioned methods in addition to my initial strategy, and see what works best.

chip it on with an open 56 or 60 and use the slope to funnel the ball to the hole

Back