Need New Golf Friends

I am fortunate that i have a good 6-10 different guys that i thoroughly enjoy golfing with. We all take golf seriously but are never competitive amongst each other. We're always pulling for each other, praising each other for good shots, or picking each other up after a blow hole.

I do like to go to the local muni and play by myself and if it's busy i don't mind being put together with guys. I used to get frustrated with 3 putts or missing greens but now i focus on contact more. If i pure an iron shot or a putt and don't get the result i wanted, it's cool, i hit a good shot just didn't get the break.....to me, that's the wonderful thing about golf, it's always unpredictable and always will be.

Next time i visit the grandparents in Temple Terrace, I hope i'll be teeing it up with some THP'ers!

I had a an epiphany on the course yesterday. I need new golf friends. Don't get me wrong - I like the people I play with - well most of the time - but they are wrapped too tightly on the course. If someone gets mad, I usually ignore it, but I'm finding that harder to do lately and it is affecting my game. I've decided Aesop was correct - familiarity breeds contempt - on the course at least. I'm thinking I should go as a single and play with strangers for a bit. If they behave badly - no harm no foul because I won't see them again. Any suggestions?

Diane,

In order to avoid the situation that you describe above, I play with 2 different golf groups. Other than one huge annual golf outing with 40-50 people, these golf groups are kept entirely separate. If I ever get a little tired of playing with one group, I am able to just skip a round or two with them and play solely with the other group. This doesn't happen very often but it is, at very least, an option for me.

I have a few guys from work that I play with, but they don't want to play as often as I want to. This fall I've been going as a single pretty regularly.

I had a an epiphany on the course yesterday. I need new golf friends. Don't get me wrong - I like the people I play with - well most of the time - but they are wrapped too tightly on the course. If someone gets mad, I usually ignore it, but I'm finding that harder to do lately and it is affecting my game. I've decided Aesop was correct - familiarity breeds contempt - on the course at least. I'm thinking I should go as a single and play with strangers for a bit. If they behave badly - no harm no foul because I won't see them again. Any suggestions?
I say start going to the course as a single. Who knows, you just might make lots of new friends and greatly expand your social circle.
Thats one of the coolest things about going off as a single. You never know who you are going to meet. Ive been grouped with people from all different walks of life or all different skill levels.

I first posted this in the summer. I stopped playing with a couple of people who would stress me out on the course. I have a smaller group that I play with regularly now and I'm much happier.

I'm much happier.

Glad to hear you're happy, Diane. There's no good reason to spend time on the golf course with people with whom you don't have fun. If I'm not mistaken, we are guaranteed the right to pursue happiness in this country by The Constitution or The Declaration of Independence; one of those old timey documents written by guys in powdery wigs.

Kevin

Glad to hear you're happy, Diane. There's no good reason to spend time on the golf course with people with whom you don't have fun. If I'm not mistaken, we are guaranteed the right to pursue happiness in this country by The Constitution or The Declaration of Independence; one of those old timey documents written by guys in powdery wigs.

Kevin

Yes, but as you know women have a much more difficult time "breaking up" with anyone.

Yes, but as you know women have a much more difficult time "breaking up" with anyone.

Women never seemed to have any trouble kicking me to the curb over the course of my life. LOL.

Kevin

I have gone out as a single and pretty much enjoyed the experience of meeting new people. The one thing I always worry about is that I would get partnered up with someone who thinks he is the next Tiger Woods and would ruin the experience for me by talking to much or being too comperative when I just want to relax and play a nice simple round of golf. In the last couple of months I have gotten some of my co-workers into golf and we have built up 8-10 people who are all of near equal level and we go out and play different courses each week. There is friendly competition but the support is always there and make the entire experience much more enjoyable.

women never seemed to have any trouble kicking me to the curb over the course of my life. Lol.

Kevin

+1

I got two new golf friends this year. Pretty dang good year for golf.

I first posted this in the summer. I stopped playing with a couple of people who would stress me out on the course. I have a smaller group that I play with regularly now and I'm much happier.
Good for you. :D Life is too short to spend your free time with people who annoy you.

Good for you. :D Life is too short to spend your free time with people who annoy you.

You're lucky - it's taken me much longer to realize that, but I finally have.

Good news - found another golf friend that I like to play with so we have a foursome now.

You have another group?

Yes, the other group is for 9 holes. They're all much better golfers, but I play with them early on weekend mornings in the Summer.

Yes, the other group is for 9 holes. They're all much better golfers, but I play with them early on weekend mornings in the Summer.

Oh, okay. I was wondering why you didn't just combine the 2 groups to make a foursome (before you had a full foursome). But that explains it.

Where did you meet the new friend?

Oh, okay. I was wondering why you didn't just combine the 2 groups to make a foursome (before you had a full foursome). But that explains it.

Where did you meet the new friend?

She plays with one of the group in an evening 9 hole group. We each have more than 1 group.

She plays with one of the group in an evening 9 hole group. We each have more than 1 group.

Are these leagues, or just people with whom you have developed a regular routine?

Are these leagues, or just people with whom you have developed a regular routine?

I met some of them in a league - then people brought in spouses and friends. There are quite a few of us in the extended group now so someone to play with is always an email away.

I met some of them in a league - then people brought in spouses and friends. There are quite a few of us in the extended group now so someone to play with is always an email away.

Diane,

My branch of EWGA has a section on the web site where you can advertise for a partner or a fourth for a specfic round. Do you have something similar?

Back