Worst equipment decision you have made...

Any time I think about replacing my Nike Machspeed Hybrids.

I've tried a bunch of different ones. Bridgestone J38, Nike VR, Cobra Baffler, Cobra Amp, Titleist 910, Srixon ZTX, Adams Super Hybrid and every time I end up going back to my Machspeeds.

I don't know what it is but they're just amazing for me and any other hybrid just ends up being a waste of money

Selling my CB3s... by far the biggest regret I have ever had.

I better fall in love with these J38s really quick.

Selling my Ping s56's. I miss them.

Too many to list.
Going back to the early 1990s when I bought a set of Wilson blades that included a 2-iron.
2-IRON! What was I thinking?
BLADES! I'm a hacker. Yes, I was sober at the time of this purchase.
A few years ago I tried my hand at recreational club building as a hobby during the winter. I classify most of these of clubs as experiments. Some worked out OK; some were disasters.
In the last 10 to 15 years I've ho'd so many irons I can't remember them all, and there are times when I wish that I had kept my old Cleveland TA-5s for more than 3 seasons.

buying sticks with regular flex shafts

I don't know that I've made any bad equipment decisions but the one I might want back was the G20 driver purchase. I got too excited to get the club in my hand so I didn't get fitted. I ended up with a really solid driver that just happened to be very wrong for me - too little loft and that driver seemed to have a case of The Rights, definitely not something my game needs.

Playing the TM Burner Superfast 2.0 my father in law gave me so long with the stock regular flex shaft. Finally dropped it off yesterday to put in a stiff.

Callaway C4 driver. It was so bad, they bought them back.....

i'd say getting my hybrids in Stiff's. other than that i havn't made too many horrible decisions.

Itsy Bitsy Spider, I could leave it short from the edge of the cup, or blast it right through the break, take your pick. Never did have decent distance control with that thing. Direction good - distance bad.

Mine so far would have to be reshafting my old nickents to regular flex on a recommendation from someone I thought I could trust, but was sadly mistaken. those shafts were just not good for me and it sucked.

Searching for more distance back in 2009 after hitting 70% of fairways for two straight summers. The 2 deg. open faced 08 Burner was long but I never could keep it in play. I sole my old Adams driver to a buddy. He won a long drive hole at his company outing this summer with a 7 year old club...

Selling my R11 driver. Haven't found a consistent gamer since.

Mine was playing with a set of Ping Zings until early 2011. I quit playing competitive softball to focus on golf and got fit witha set of Jpx800 pros and it was like flicking a light switch. Within 5 months, my handicap went from 16 to a 6 and now sits around 3..

The clubs were really offset. I always wondered why my pw had a draw???

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Bought a set of (over priced) RBZs without ever seeing them (let alone swinging or being fitted for them.) I had them about six months before I finally tossed in the towel.

I haven't been playing long enough to have too many bad decisions yet. So far I wish I would not have purchased my RBZ 19* 3H. I just can't hit the club for some reason. I've tried setting up with it like I do with my irons, my driver, and everywhere in between and just can't make it work. I've used a couple of different fairway woods and don't have any problem hitting with them.

Bought a set of (over priced) RBZs without ever seeing them (let alone swinging or being fitted for them.) I had them about six months before I finally tossed in the towel.

That's funny. I did the same thing about a month ago and love my RBZ's.

Letting my wife hit my Adams a12OS hybrids. I am never getting them back,

I haven't been playing long enough to have too many bad decisions yet. So far I wish I would not have purchased my RBZ 19* 3H. I just can't hit the club for some reason. I've tried setting up with it like I do with my irons, my driver, and everywhere in between and just can't make it work. I've used a couple of different fairway woods and don't have any problem hitting with them.

One thing a lot of people do with hybrids that kills them is they swing it like a fairway wood. Try setting up and swinging at it like an iron. The more you swing down at it, the better contact you'll make

My TaylorMade 2011 Rescue/Utility. Not that it's a bad club or anything, it hits great and has awesome pop off the face, but I never used it. I have a 5W that is only 1* higher than my TM hybrid that does the job well. It was more or less a "I want a hybrid" and a waste of money for something I did not need. Good thing I bought it used. I should probably post it in the marketplace section and get some coin back.

One thing a lot of people do with hybrids that kills them is they swing it like a fairway wood. Try setting up and swinging at it like an iron. The more you swing down at it, the better contact you'll make

I've attempted to set up with my hybrid like I do with irons and have yet to be successful. At the range I usually hit 8 good shots out of 10 with my irons and more like 1 good shot out of 10 with my hybrid. I haven't totally given up on it yet though. My irons are steel shafted and the hybrid is graphite, so I'm sure the difference in shafts has me swinging the club a little differently from the irons. With it being a little longer I may be setting up to far from the ball too. I have a tendency to reach for the ball with my driver, so maybe I'm doing the same thing with the hybrid. Thanks for the input though.

I bought a TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour driver early this season. I hit about 6 drivers for what seemed like hours at GolfSmith. The TM was the clear winner in virtually every category...including dispersion. Not only the longest, but by far the most accurate.

After a couple of months, I simply could not hit the fairway more than once or twice a round. When I did, it was crushed (for me) 280-300. I fought that thing on the range a lot too. I thought I'd had the same head and shaft that I demoed...but for some reason it was way worse than my old driver.

I traded it in for a Callaway RFX, and the accuracy difference was immediate and staggering. My misses are typically still playable just off the fairway. 280 is typically the long drive for me now...averaging probably closer to 260ish...but I'll take the fairway over OB any day.

In hindsight it was a bad decision, but I'm not sure that I won't make a similar mistake again. I'm still a bit perplexed about the night and day difference from testing off a tee in a simulator, to the actual club performance after purchase.

I've attempted to set up with my hybrid like I do with irons and have yet to be successful. At the range I usually hit 8 good shots out of 10 with my irons and more like 1 good shot out of 10 with my hybrid. I haven't totally given up on it yet though. My irons are steel shafted and the hybrid is graphite, so I'm sure the difference in shafts has me swinging the club a little differently from the irons. With it being a little longer I may be setting up to far from the ball too. I have a tendency to reach for the ball with my driver, so maybe I'm doing the same thing with the hybrid. Thanks for the input though.

Try slowing down your swing just a tad instead of swinging it as you would with your irons. I finally had to slow my swing down and I placed the ball in the center of my stance. I was finally able to hit my 3h better that way. Now this works for me on this club. Practice with it, can't hurt at this point.

Back