Worst equipment decision you have made...

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
With all of the other threads popping up about best equipment for your game and "ego" when it comes to equipment, this thought popped in to my head...

What is the worst equipment decision you made, and why?

For me, it was when I was getting back in to the game and really was struggling with a big slice. I went to Edwin Watts and listened to the guy working there, who informed me that the TaylorMade Superfast 1.0 would limit my slice. Holy crap was he WRONG. However, I played that driver for a good while thinking it was the ticket, all because I listened to someone trying to SELL me something, not trying to help me improve and find the right fit for me.

With all of the other threads popping up about best equipment for your game and "ego" when it comes to equipment, this thought popped in to my head...

What is the worst equipment decision you made, and why?

For me, it was when I was getting back in to the game and really was struggling with a big slice. I went to Edwin Watts and listened to the guy working there, who informed me that the TaylorMade Superfast 1.0 would limit my slice. Holy crap was he WRONG. However, I played that driver for a good while thinking it was the ticket, all because I listened to someone trying to SELL me something, not trying to help me improve and find the right fit for me.

I would have to say that my worst decision was buying a set of Callaway Razr X irons without being fit for them. I assumed the length would be the same stock length as my previous set. All I did was thing the ever loving crap out of them and just could never get comfortable with them. Fitting is such an important aspect that is overlooked so often.

Worst equipment decision was easily purchasing the Mashie 1h a few years back. It was short of the tee and awful from the fairway, it was a hook machine. I just couldn't get that club to make any sense for me. It lasted for 3 weeks in my bag before I traded it in.

Worst equipment decision was easily purchasing the Mashie 1h a few years back. It was short of the tee and awful from the fairway, it was a hook machine. I just couldn't get that club to make any sense for me. It lasted for 3 weeks in my bag before I traded it in.
I made that mistake as well. I couldnt hit that one at all. Yet, I kept it in the bag and tried to force it.

My year+ long dive into Scotty Cameron. Bought the brand, not the putter type, and fought bouncing putt after bad missed putt while hitting 15 greens and still not breaking par.

Worst decision ever. Not the first time I've purchased a golf club to try and fit in though. I imagine it'll be the last.

Getting rid of my Titleist 910D2 driver

Havent found one I love since then

Easily purchasing my Cleveland FL15 3w without being fit for it. I was fit for the SL290 I currently play so I just figured the same shaft, etc in the 3w would be fine. Big mistake I am afraid to even pull it out the bag anymore.

I made that mistake as well. I couldnt hit that one at all. Yet, I kept it in the bag and tried to force it.

It was such a poor thought process from me. ugh. I could have just lit some cash on fire. It would have been over quicker and been less painful.

mines was buying a callaway optiforce driver without testing, could not hit it straight so got rid of it after 1 day and lost a fair bit of money, lesson learned now.

X-flex Oban Devotions and dropping to a9.5 driver head at one point. So freaking asinine for me.

For me it was a custom Scotty Cameron Kombi putter. And to compound my bad decision, I added a custom Scotty headcover as well. I thought it looked good and felt good, but when I got it on the course I just couldn't do anything right with it.

Playing hand me down equipment that doesn't fit my game.

I've done it multiple times over the years with stuff from my father in law, and in the end it didn't fit my game and probably took up space in my bag with clubs that I never hit and shouldn't have had in the bag to begin with. For a little while it was a set of Titleist CB irons, I was thinking to myself, gosh they are so expensive why wouldn't I want to play them, and they didn't fit my game at all, nor could I even hit them.

My 4 year adventure wasting time with long and belly putters. Putted worse and wasted hundreds of extra hours on the putting green. Any improvement on putts under 10 feet came at the expense of bigger misses on putts over 35 feet and an increase in my 3 putts. Net result was I added about a stroke to my putting average. Came to my senses and went back to conventional putting about 6 years ago.

My 4 year adventure wasting time with long and belly putters. Putted worse and wasted hundreds of extra hours on the putting green. Any improvement on putts under 10 feet came at the expense of bigger misses on putts over 35 feet and an increase in my 3 putts. Net result was I added about a stroke to my putting average. Came to my senses and went back to conventional putting about 6 years ago.

This is a lie. Anchoring a putter is an unfair advantage that makes everybody who uses them instantly better at golf. :alien:

Buying the original Nike Slingshots without a fitting. Damn you Frank and Charles Barkley.

Getting rid of my J38's with Xflex Aerotechs....for blades/mbs

In 1998, I just had to play a Titleist 975d in 7.5 with an X-100 shaft. My back still hurts thinking about how hard I had to work to hit that driver.

LOL so many. Let's see.

Installed both S300's and PX's in my irons is probably the worst one to date.

Getting back into the game last year, kitting out through ebay as I had irons but no woods.
Filter = golf, woods, 1 wood, mens, rh, used.

Pick up a Callaway X something driver.

Hit it well, loved it, even tho it sounded like a a coke can on a stick.

Then it was pointed out to me it was a ladies club.

Despite playing it well, couldn't bring myself to use it again, pure ego but I didn't want to be known as the guy who played a ladies driver :eek:

Now I'm on here and research thouroughly, no regrets since thanks to the reviews and comments :)

Switching from my mid mallet redwood to a heal shafted TaylorMade ghost or switching from my Callaway x-tour irons to a smaller profile srixon 701tours. Talked myself into thinking they would be right for me, more work ability.

i missed more putts and more greens with that setup

ending up with PX iron shafts. Also switching from a driver I was really comfortable with to the SuperTri. Just never got to that same level of comfort and my tee game went south.

mines was buying a callaway optiforce driver without testing, could not hit it straight so got rid of it after 1 day and lost a fair bit of money, lesson learned now.

One day? Wow. I think I'd have a pro evaluate the issue or try another shaft before dumping a driver after one day.

Going with some Ping iron knockoffs in the early to mid '90s. My game went up a level when I bought real Titleist DCI's in '98.

ending up with PX iron shafts. Also switching from a driver I was really comfortable with to the SuperTri. Just never got to that same level of comfort and my tee game went south.

You not only stalk me, you copy me haha!

Also, choosing the low lofted Mashie 3 wood was dumb. I went with the old stupid thought that lower loft = farther ball. It wasn't unplayable, but a stupid move nonetheless.

You not only stalk me, you copy me haha!

Also, choosing the low lofted Mashie 3 wood was dumb. I went with the old stupid thought that lower loft = farther ball. It wasn't unplayable, but a stupid move nonetheless.

As soon as I can get a shaft I like in those AMP Cells, the PX's are coming out.

I also have the 14 Mashie 3 wood. Loved it off the tee. Struggled this year with it and it got regulated to the hoard.

Back