THP UK Summer Cup Discussion Thread - 29th/30th Sept

Another highly successful trip enjoyed by one and all I think it's fair to say.

Golf courses were in good nick and played well, The Lakes course was actually the preferable of the two for me given that nothing got wet!

Well and truely beat this evening so I will get a post trip report up tomorrow at some point. But for now just let me say thanks to everyone who made the effort, especially those coming from afar - The Dane and Will_I_Dream both travelling long distances in particular. Well done to all the winners, runners up and prize takers some good golf won some good prizes over the course of the two days.

Finally well done to El Bandito as well who held his nerve to take the UK THP Cup home with him - some good golf across two days, well played mate. Although there may be a stewards enquiry into the distribution of alcoholic beverages on Sunday night!

More to follow!

Firstly a massive thank you to Mav and El B for all the organisation, planning, prizes and banter that makes this such a special event,

Secondly well played El B, too really solid days of golf over the last 2 days and you deserve to get your name on that trophy.

To Simon, Will (Ian??), Tony it was great to meet you all for the first of what I hope is many times. To all our regulars great to see you all age on, roll on April.

Tony, I hope all is well at home, pleasure playing with you yesterday. Chris many many congrats.

Thanks again guys

Plus a huge thank you to Richard for the personalised coffee mugs and a very warm welcome to the event!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for a fantastic couple of days golf, banter, fun and drinking...the Jäger Fog has finally dispersed!! :)

Mav, great organising, you are a true legend.

Thank you all for making me feel welcome and warmly received into your group, it really was a great experience.

El B, solid golf both days and a well worthy Champ.

Looking forward to seeing the pics and write ups, catch up with you all later.

...must dash late for a meeting already!!

GEO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
So glad I took today off, needed a good nights sleep, which almost happened.

Well it all started with with a 04:45 alarm on Saturday morning. After a 5hr 45 min drive I roll into Belton Woods. I find myself a nice parking spot, close to the golf shop and bar, then head round to golf bar. Order a coffee to try and perk myself up and figure out where the rest of the guys are. This was my first mistake, everyone else has arrived and is in the hotel bar, a sign of things to come. A warm greeting from everyone at arrival and a personalised mug, three logo'd balls and three THP Epoch tees, all before I've had three breaths. It's then a blur of getting scorecards, some practise putts and on the tee.

Day one's golf was my worst round of the year, so glad I wasn't attending with any high expectations golf wise. I had faint hopes of helping our team in the yellow ball event, those hopes quickly faded. I'm just so glad we managed to find it on every occasion I had tried to lose it :0)
the other guys played some solid golf, some very nice shots. Memories will be the doctor blasting his fairway woods, Rob launching his drive to take the long drive comp by at least 30yds and Dirk's 130 yd bunker shot to 5 - 15ft, the distance varies depending on who's telling the story and how many drinks had been consumed.
The closest to the pin comp hole was unreal, the Doctor got closest, I was second closest yet we still managed 7 putts between us. Guess who four putted.

The evening meal was everything that had been suggested previously, laughs and drinks, El Bandito does not make idle threats and Geo ended up with at least a quarter bottle of Jagermeister soaking his back teeth.

After a few hours sleep back on the tee, I played much better on day 2, 8 points better in fact, I think I liked the Lakes course more than the Woodside. I found my driver in my bag which had been hiding on day one, taking the long drive comp on the day. Pity I still couldn't find my wedges. Played with Mav, Sam and poor Dirk again, the golf standard was high, some very nice golf was played. Sam set the early pace. Mav showing great distance control, stopping a yard short of the water on several occasions. Poor Dirk visited so many bunkers he's probably still finding sand.

Final thoughts, a great group of guys at the event, playing very good golf over the two days. 71 points taking the win and 4 guys two behind on 69 are testament to that.
The wives added a touch of class and glamour.

Thanks to Mav and El B for organising and being the party planners extraordinaire. True testament to an events success is everyone looking forward to the next one.

Absolute pleasure meeting every one of you, hopefully i get the opportunity to play a round with you at any future event.

Last edited:
Just catching up after this weekend (what else are you supposed to do at work?)

Stu, congratulations on the win!! Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm looking forward to the pictures and more recaps.

Definitely need some pics. Glad you boys had fun!

The UK Hackers Assembled on Day 1.

Back Row - Left to Right. Geo375, The Doctor, The Dane, Crag Rat, David L, El Bandito, Rob Newton, Richard Rodgers, Tony Fayle, Martin Newton
Front Row Left to Right. Will I Dream, Sam Guest, Mav281, Ianb281, Dirk St Moritz

Gathered from all over the place, The teams assemble for the starter's briefing.

Huge votes of thanks go to:

Mav281 - Tireless organising again - absolutely fantastic work yet again.
Will I Dream - Making the long trek down from Bonnie Scotland
The Newtons - all the way from the Southwest
And of course to the Dane -

Who left at 0200, drove to an airport at LEGOLAND - (seriously there is nothing else out there but a lego factory) and flew over for an early pick up and couple of days Golf. Good work my friend!

More memories and photos to come - work keeps getting in my way!

Last edited:

After 3 holes, the lightning pace of play was beginning to tell...a queue forming on the first par 3!

The sun was out - and the wind was beginning to gust, making club selection that little bit more difficult...

The course was playing fast - and was generally pretty forgiving off the tee. The course was called the woods - but there were few trees in or close to being in play.

The UK Hackers Assembled on Day 1.

Back Row - Left to Right. Geo375, The Doctor, The Dane, Crag Rat, David L, El Bandito, Rob Newton, Richard Rodgers, Tony Fayle, Martin Newton
Front Row Left to Right. Will I Dream, Sam Guest, Mav281, Ianb281, Dirk St Moritz

LOL at Geo375 getting stuck behind the limb!

So - Day 1. I can only really report on my 4 ball - and focused on playing, no photos I'm afraid.

Mav281 got us underway with the now traditional scuff off the tee. I think it is our glorious leader's way of putting us all at ease:beauty:
Sam - lacking in much golf over the last 6 weeks effectively used the first three holes as warm up - blob, blob, blob.
El B - got off quite steady. Nothing too flashy but nothing too disastrous.
Richard Rodgers - 'Skip'. What a revelation! Without a doubt the fastest player I have ever seen - he makes Brandt Snedeker look like Keegan Bradley. Quite literally pull club, hit ball replace club. All in about the same time as it takes to say it. Several times we all talked over his shot, not realising he had even got to his ball. Some really excellent play from the skipper, impressive to watch.

Mav struck a beautiful chip on 3 to gain 4 points - shot of the day thus far. with the yellow ball in hand.

Later on 17, Sam canned a chip/pitch again for 4 points (it would have gone 30 yards past if it had not smacked the pin dead centre!) Again, yellow ball.

Unfortunately for us - another team was doing even better with the yellow ball.

At the end of an enjoyable day's golf - El B had somehow scrambled into runner up spot behind Geo375. 38 versus 37. Ianb had also returned 37 but was declared third on countback.

Rob Newton had taken the longest drive crown, and Nearest the Pin was claimed by the Doctor.

Now - earlier in this thread - El B had issued a warning on the dangers of being overnight leader........

Purely by accident :)angel:) Geo 375 found himself seated next to El Bandito - Wise old man, prosecutor, judge and jury in the Kangaroo court.

In a change from tradition, Sambuca had been replaced by Jaegermeister. In keeping with tradition, young Geo was fined - (a fine being a generous shot, despatched in the traditional manner)

1. For being a Rookie.
2. For being in the lead.
3. For getting an Eagle
4. Eagle is two under right?

then fines were administered to all and sundry for various and sundry heinous crimes..last to arrive, best bunker shot, worst pants etc....notable were

5. Mrs Mav281 - Rookie (Pinch hitter as designated by wise old man - Geo 375)
6. Mrs Ianb281 - Rookie (Pinch hitter as designated by wise old man - Geo 375)
7. The Doctor - leaving after Day 1 (Pinch hitter as designated by wise old man - Geo 375)
8. Richard Rodgers - leaving after Day 1 (Pinch hitter as designated by wise old man - Geo 375)

The bottle lasted around 10 minutes - and it seemed as though the traditional "equalise the odds" had backfired - with Geo 375 maintaining his happy chirpy persona and the wise old man looking a lot less wise, quite a lot older and ready for bed........

Day 2 dawns - again, some sun and a strengthening wind. todays challenge, 'the Lakes'.

P1000384_zps3bbcc1b7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Martin Newton lashes one up the middle of the first.

P1000382_zpscf7c7b85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Our leader - looking for a hangover cure online?

Congratulations on the win Stu, just puts a bit more pressure on you for the next event :D

Initial thoughts were that the course at times was quite tough with the way the wind picked up and swirled around....I can't remember the last time I have hit a 7i from around 130yds to the centre of the green and still come up short!?!?!

The 4th green (nearest the pin) was a bit brutal as well - Like Will_I_Dream said, both of us were on the green and closer to the pin than the marker yet we took 7 putts between us.....he just tapped his putt from the top tier yet it just wouldn't stop and almost rolled off the front of the green

I hit some good shots and some bad shots, but the round was a lot lot better than I was expecting considering the lack of time spent on the course or range for the last month

I certainly didn't expect the round to start the way it did

Hole 1 - Par 4, 394yds - 5W off the tee, PW to the green and 2 putts for a par
Hole 2 - Par 4, 366yds - 5W off the tee, PW to the green and 2 putts for a par
Hole 3 - Par 4, 391yds - Topped the 5W off the tee and left myself about 180yds to the centre of the green according to the course guide, 7i to pin high and 2 putts for another par

This was probably the best I have started a round for a long time and I was just waiting for it to fall to pieces after that, but fortunately I was able to hold it together for most of the round. There were a few bad holes along the way but that is typical of my game at the moment, with my worst hole being the par 3 15th when I had the yellow ball.....typical....then followed by the 16th when I had it again and I managed a return of 1 point for those 2 holes

All I can say is that the next event can't come round quick enough

Day 2

The final fourball had Geo 375 on 38 points, El B and Ianb281 on 37 and Crag Rat on 36.

Firstly GEO375. What a beautiful swing. Compact, powerful. This is a good golfer.
Crag Rat - more willowy - but graceful and long.
Ianb281. Gave a masterclass in course management. Knows his game, uses his head.

I learnt a lot from all 3 guys - but the lesson that I can implement tomorrow is the excellent course management from Ian.

After 9 holes - the final four ball were all square overall with Crag leading round 2 (from our group)

At last - the plan was coming together! Geo375 felt fine (apart from the slight fog of Jaeger behind his eyes and a slight lack of touch on the greens:bashful:) On the front 9, the guys hit some great shots, with Geo hitting beautiful irons into the par 3s. Fortunately for the rest of us, the greens were fast and tough - and the birdies just would not drop for him - despite some god rolls.

The cunning Jaegermeister plan had Geo pulling driver from his bag (even though the long irons were going straighter and the same distance) - and the odd errant tee shot was costing the low handicapper. Crag Rat and IanB both produced blobs out of nowhere - giving El B a slender advantage.

IanB then produced another blob, but gritted his teeth - and came on a back 6 charge befitting his name (Bullock) with a series of three pointers.

El B: looking back, there are two specific 'breaks' that saved the round. On a par 4 with rough all down the right, El B pulled the tee shot straight into it. The rough had been cut, but the cuttings left there - the it was quite literally needle in a haystack time. IanB281 fixed his eye on the spot that the ball went in, and never took his eyes off the spot until he got there. After 30 seconds, Geo375 dug deep and identified El B's ball. Horrible lie, but El B was able to wedge back to the fairway, on in three, two putt - 5 for 2, no damage done.

A couple of holes before - another pull. this time clipped some leaves - and seemed to be going straight right. Most likely resting place seemed an adjoining fairway. It was nowhere to be found. Undeterred, Crag Rat mused that perhaps some more trees had got involved. He checked the fairway bunker, where the ball seemed to have rolled in backwards - at least 30 yards left of where I was looking.

Thanks Partners!

The first lucky break was on the hole known to us as the "bast*** 10th". Par 4. Approach to a raised green. Water in front. Water left. Water behind. Jungle right. I came in from the right, hit the green and skipped off back left. Wet I thought. Actually, a combination of a path and a tree stopped the ball on the path. My nearest relief was pretty much in the water, so blading it off the path was my best option.

So...in the end El B came out on top by a couple of points - but if there was ever a score achieved through teamwork - this was it. IanB281, Geo375 and Crag Rat all saved me points, and the golfing gods themselves were smiling upon me.

What a unique game - where I can identify exact moments where my competitors saved my score - to their own detriment. Gentlemen all three of them.

LOL at Geo375 getting stuck behind the limb!

I was trying to move to a better spot but the cameraman was to damn fast!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

P1000389_zps58b95bc9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When Rob sets his jaw....that ball stays hit!

P1000386_zps50a3d30c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Danish Quickstep

P1000379_zpsb113a333.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Dirk St Moritz 'Backscratcher'

Just catching up after this weekend (what else are you supposed to do at work?)

Stu, congratulations on the win!! Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm looking forward to the pictures and more recaps.

DufferToo. Thank you.

A combination of great playing partners, some very lucky breaks and gritty, underhand matchplay (filling your opponent with Jaegermeister the night before) nudged me over the line.

One of the funniest moments for me - had to be the Dane. He and I have an odd golfing rivalry (he is the better golfer by the way) - in the UK he has never beaten me, in Denmark I have never beaten him. Currently - I am Champ in Sweden. On day 1 - I was 3 points ahead of his very creditable 34 points. On day 2, he went one better with 35 on a harder course. So - waiting for the last group, Tom was leader in the clubhouse. Justifiably, he felt he was in with a chance of overtaking me. In fact - he did beat me by a point on the second round - but there were no prizes for the second round - there were for the first and for the combined - and on the combined he still trailed by two...I'm not sure, but I think I have may have heard the Danish phrase for "I can't believe it you lucky *********"

So - my haul for the trip:

P1000399_zps6a2aefff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

On the left - my winners trophy which will undoubtedly be taking pride of place on my desk, on the right my runners-up statue for Day 1 - and in the centre, the magnificent THP UK, Hackers Cup - which should, by tomorrow bear my name beneath that of Crag Rat and Burgerbudge. The cup will reside with me 3 months or so, at which time - I will kill off my El Bandito profile and disappear....returning incognito and hiding the cup in my basement:alien2: Its mine I tell you MINE!

Additionally, a couple of sleeves of balls came my way from Day 1, and nice little white envelope of cash from Day 2 which La Bandita thanks everyone for. I was also the recipient of a superb personalised mug from Richard Rodgers (Top man and Speed Golfer!) - which I will endeavour to photograph once I get back to the UK.

Actually the Cup will be competed for again at the Autumn / Winter Cup - whenever that may be.

A fantastic couple of days - made entirely by the great bunch of guys and gals that came along - and the huge time, effort and patience put in by MAV281 in making it happen. I look forward to relinquishing my hold on the trophy at the next one.....

DufferToo. Thank you.

A combination of great playing partners, some very lucky breaks and gritty, underhand matchplay (filling your opponent with Jaegermeister the night before) nudged me over the line.

One of the funniest moments for me - had to be the Dane. He and I have an odd golfing rivalry (he is the better golfer by the way) - in the UK he has never beaten me, in Denmark I have never beaten him. Currently - I am Champ in Sweden. On day 1 - I was 3 points ahead of his very creditable 34 points. On day 2, he went one better with 35 on a harder course. So - waiting for the last group, Tom was leader in the clubhouse. Justifiably, he felt he was in with a chance of overtaking me. In fact - he did beat me by a point on the second round - but there were no prizes for the second round - there were for the first and for the combined - and on the combined he still trailed by two...I'm not sure, but I think I have may have heard the Danish phrase for "I can't believe it you lucky *********"

So - my haul for the trip:

P1000399_zps6a2aefff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

On the left - my winners trophy which will undoubtedly be taking pride of place on my desk, on the right my runners-up statue for Day 1 - and in the centre, the magnificent THP UK, Hackers Cup - which should, by tomorrow bear my name beneath that of Crag Rat and Burgerbudge. The cup will reside with me 3 months or so, at which time - I will kill off my El Bandito profile and disappear....returning incognito and hiding the cup in my basement:alien2: Its mine I tell you MINE!

Additionally, a couple of sleeves of balls came my way from Day 1, and nice little white envelope of cash from Day 2 which La Bandita thanks everyone for. I was also the recipient of a superb personalised mug from Richard Rodgers (Top man and Speed Golfer!) - which I will endeavour to photograph once I get back to the UK.

Actually the Cup will be competed for again at the Autumn / Winter Cup - whenever that may be.

A fantastic couple of days - made entirely by the great bunch of guys and gals that came along - and the huge time, effort and patience put in by MAV281 in making it happen. I look forward to relinquishing my hold on the trophy at the next one.....

Superb Stu and well deserved mate - it's so good to see people taking pride in their victory and showing off their winnings :thumb:

Both Mrs IanB281 and Mrs Mav have confirmed they very much enjoyed the trip. I am not sure if Mrs Mav will be able to grace us with her presence should we hold a winter cup, and there's even less chance if the next meet is around April as she'll be struggling to get in the damn car by that stage - but both have said they would join us again for a future event at some point.

Superb Stu and well deserved mate - it's so good to see people taking pride in their victory and showing off their winnings :thumb:

Both Mrs IanB281 and Mrs Mav have confirmed they very much enjoyed the trip. I am not sure if Mrs Mav will be able to grace us with her presence should we hold a winter cup, and there's even less chance if the next meet is around April as she'll be struggling to get in the damn car by that stage - but both have said they would join us again for a future event at some point.

La Bandita greatly enjoyed their company - and said she would definitely come again - she is even pushing for more time for pampering, chatting, etc... etc...:bananadance:

Fantastic news for you and Mrs Mav - quite a shock I'm sure - but Mrs El B and I are both absolutely delighted for you. Timings suggest to me that you have more chance of squeezing something in pre Christmas than post!:clap: Thanks again for all of the hard work buddy!

Stu, is that the start of the UK THP golf trophy collection....are you going to have enough space to keep all of the trophies you are now expected to win :D

I obviously missed something after I left....congratulations to both of you and hope everything goes well between now and the big day

Stu, is that the start of the UK THP golf trophy collection....are you going to have enough space to keep all of the trophies you are now expected to win :D

I obviously missed something after I left....congratulations to both of you and hope everything goes well between now and the big day

I think that one came out first thing on Sunday morning but a lot of people had got up to go and get their stuff.

Mrs is now expecting our second which we are both thrilled with. Has come as a bit of a surprise given our first has just turned 6 but none the less we are both thrilled and looking forward to another round of sleepless nights, dirty nappies etc etc.

Congrats El B! That's a great looking trophy right there.

Originally posted in the UK Summer Cup Review thread

Well guys I have finally managed to find 10mins to sit here and put finger to keyboard.

Only playing on the Sunday might have seemed a waste to some folks, but all I can say is 'what a fantastic day'. Well worth the 2hr drive to have a day out with such a great bunch of folks.

This was my first THP outing so didn't really know what to expect, apart from the fact that I knew full well there would be plenty of laughter and p**s taking. It certainly lived up to that.

When I arrived I was approached in the bar by a young guy called GEO375, also known as Simon. It turned out that the rest of the gang were in the main bar and not where we had been told to wait by the pro shop staff. Not to woirry. but think you should issue red carnations or something next time MAV so that newbies will know who we are.

Once everyone was together the banter started and gifts showered.

I was only too pleased to create the mugs for each of you and wanted to put something of THP into the mix, which is why I put the 3 THP tees in each mug. Yes my tee stock is depleted somewhat, but it was well worth it to introduce you all to these fantastic tees. After using these for some time now I don't use anything else so when the store gets some more in, make sure you place an order with GolferGal.

I was Cap of my team, but sadly played some real crap golf. It was great to be in a fourball with MAV, El Bandito and Sam Guest. Three real characters that play golf for the right reason. To enjoy themselves.

Well done to the winners on Sunday and Monday. Simon, you knew darn well that they would stoke you up with alcohol on the night so that your golf was impaired on Monday. Well done Stu for the overall win.

Thank you MAV for organising the event. It will not be my last.

Back