Aldila ATX Tour Blue Shaft Review

That's a great looking shaft, loving those graphics. To bad graphics don't help our golf game huh? lol Curious as to the differences you find on the Vector Hawk.

The Tour Blue, along with the Tour Green, are two new premium offerings from Aldila. They've been on Tour for a while now and have some wins under their belt, including The Memorial, where they had 29 in play (counting both green and blue).

I'll be reviewing the Tour Blue, the higher launching of the two shafts - specifically the ATX 65 in stiff.

Here's a little blurb I found about the line. The really isn't much out there about them at this point.

Installed a Callaway Optifit adapter and cut to play at 44.75 inches in the X-Hot. Will be able to test it in the X-Hot Pro as well. Looks fantastic with the Cally heads since the lower portion is so similar to the matte gray the drivers feature. Interestingly, it feels completely different in there than the shaft I had in before and they are both about the same weight. There's some cool technology in this line that I'll be sharing with you in the review.

Some pictures...

DSCN3195-L.jpg

I love the way shafts are being designed right now.. Obviously performance should be key, but having a great looking shaft is awesome.

Can't wait to see the progression for you with this shaft hawk. Like some, I'd be more inclined to lean towards a lower launching, lower spinning offering, but I do think parallels can be made.

Yea the graphics are great. The whole thing looks awesome and I love the blue. The green I could really leave or take based on pictures I've seen, but it still has the same cool graphics.

Should note that both shafts feature much of the same technology. Just a different profile.

Hit a bunch of balls with this installed in two drivers last night - X-Hot (11.5° O Setting) and XH Pro (10.5° S setting). I brought along the White Tie (my gamer) as a 'control' shaft to compare against, but didn't really end up using it all that much. Mainly because I'm lazy and switching shafts isn't nearly as fun as hitting balls.

Not big on saying a bunch after just one range session, but I did have some thoughts to take away.

For whatever reason, it balances out differently than my gamer in hand. No clue why, but it is noticeable when waggling the club. To me, the head seems heavier. That's a good thing in my book.

Felt stiffer than I expected for a tip soft shaft, but I expect those that like firm tips to say it feels soft to them.

I was really surprised just how much ball height and trajectory is dependent on the head I'm using. In the O setting, the X-Hot should play basically the same loft as the XHP in the S setting, but the ball flights couldn't have been more different. Definitely a higher ball with the XH. the XHP had a more penetrating, rising trajectory to it and maxed out in the mid-high range (unless I left the face open too far). Interestingly, carry distance was almost identical between the two though. Go figure. I didn't notice a lot of difference in trajectory between the ATX and my gamer.

Very unique feel to the ATX. It had a very evident kick at impact that I noticed right away. It can be hard for me to describe shaft feel, especially early on, but I'll keep an eye on that as time goes on.

Distance and dispersion were spot on with what I've come to expect from the X-Hot. No real difference there. Didn't notice a difference with the XHP either, but admittedly I've only had the driver for a week.

Based on what I saw I believe I'll take the XH/ATX combo to the course this weekend and see what comes of it. Early results were good. Looks good, feels good, performs like I'm used to.

I am very very interested in this and hope you're able to elaborate after a couple of sessions. Whether you're talking about a whip towards the target after contact, or a shudder as you're making impact? Either way, that's the type of feedback I usually try to shy away from in a shaft because it makes me feel like my timing is off.

Honestly, I'm not so sure, but I will keep it in my mind as I'm playing it.

I like the initial thoughts Hawk.

Are you gaming the XHOT because your more familiar with it?

Do you prefer the higher ball flight that the XHOT is giving you with this pairing over the XHP?

Pretty much because I'm more familiar with it. Gives me a good baseline to start with since I know so well what to expect in terms of distance, dispersion, and ball flight. I'm still taking baby steps with the XHP at this point.

I can understand that Hawk and starting with something your more comfortable with makes perfect sense.

Looks like there are quite a few of these in play this week at the President's cup!

Good eyes Nicey. I've only watched two groups tee off and I've seen two in fairways and one in Haas's driver. All three were Blues.

Last edited:
Did a limited amount of launch monitor testing with the ATX Tour Blue in the X-Hot Pro head tonight. Again, just limited and didn't take the time to compile any averages, but did take note of what trends I was seeing. Anything I'm talking about here is what I'd consider decent swings/decent contact. Just a quick disclaimer that my normal launch conditions are higher launch/lower spin, so take that into consideration. Individual results may vary.

Swing speed isn't recorded with the Vector fyi. All numbers are ball parks based on what I saw.

Launch 15-16
Spin 2200-2400
Ball speeds - 140-145

That put my carry numbers in the 225-240 range on decent swings with ball heights just under 30 yards max. Not bad at all for me. Don't recall exact side spin numbers, but I was consistently sitting in the 15 yard left of center range. Not abnormal for me.

For a lower spin head like the XHP, the 2200-2400 is pretty good for me. While it seems low to many I'm sure, for me that's about the max I'd expect to see from a head like this, even with a 'high launch' shaft. Tells me that I'm getting middle of the road spin and launch action out of this combo (for my swing). As a comparison, earlier in the year I was hitting the Clevleand XL/Asha 4s in the 17-18°/1900-2200 range.

That's about it for now. Shaft felt good. Didn't notice any shuddering at impact that was obvious. Again, will keep an eye on that though.

Hawk those #'s don't look bad, I'm no fit expert by any means.

Launch seems on the mid-high end

spin low-mid

30yds height seems pretty good especially when you say this combo launches lower than the Xhot combo

Hawk those #'s don't look bad, I'm no fit expert by any means.

Launch seems on the mid-high end

spin low-mid

30yds height seems pretty good especially when you say this combo launches lower than the Xhot combo

Yes sir. Not too bad at all. I'd be fine with a little more spin to give me some wiggle room when I miss high/toe, but for good strikes it's good for me. I will put the X-Hot on there next to see what I'm getting out of it.

Yes sir. Not too bad at all. I'd be fine with a little more spin to give me some wiggle room when I miss high/toe, but for good strikes it's good for me. I will put the X-Hot on there next to see what I'm getting out of it.

I'm curious to see the spin jump you get when you put the XH on there vs these pretty damn solid numbers with the XHP. Might put you right in that 2700 wheelhouse, which would be badass with that launch.

I'm curious to see the spin jump you get when you put the XH on there vs these pretty damn solid numbers with the XHP. Might put you right in that 2700 wheelhouse, which would be badass with that launch.

I'm wondering too. The larger/more forgiving head is a big plus too. The one thing I hope I don't see is an increase in LA. That might be a tough one to hope for though. They do go hand in hand most of the time.

I'm wondering too. The larger/more forgiving head is a big plus too. The one thing I hope I don't see is an increase in LA. That might be a tough one to hope for though. They do go hand in hand most of the time.

This is a valid point, you usually don't get one in a head change without the other. But, we can hope.

This shaft definitely is an intriguing one to me, everything about it intrigues me really.

I'll admit I wasn't all that excited about it. Maybe it's that the brand name doesn't have the sexy appeal that a couple others have right now. However, it seems to be performing nicely - helps that the profile is one that fits me most times. Also, it's very widely used on Tour. That doesn't mean anything from a fitting standpoint for amateurs obviously, but I do think it means there's a level of performance/quality there.

I'll admit I wasn't all that excited about it. Maybe it's that the brand name doesn't have the sexy appeal that a couple others have right now. However, it seems to be performing nicely - helps that the profile is one that fits me most times. Also, it's very widely used on Tour. That doesn't mean anything from a fitting standpoint for amateurs obviously, but I do think it means there's a level of performance/quality there.

I agree on all parts, its been a long while since Aldila has caught my eye (VooDoo...maybe the RIP for a bit) but this one for some reason interests me. Maybe it has to do with its profile being in my wheelhouse now.

Helps that it looks cool of course :)

All about having fun!

Some swings the XHP/Tour Blue early in my session today. Can't say I loved much I was seeing, so I put it down and switched heads to the XH. What a difference that made. Maybe it's familiarity, not being warmed up, or weighting, the open face that I prefer, the size of the head, etc - I don't know, but I know I preferred the XH by a long shot. Still though, this thread isn't "Which Driver Head Should I Play", so I'll move on.

Definitely a high ball with the 460cc head. Probably a bit too high at its peak if we're talking perfect numbers, but just a great trajectory and some very solid carry distances. Not a rainbow ball flight, which is a positive for me. Very consistent ball height and shot shape for me as well, so another positive. I did hit some shots with the White Tie as well and (if anything) I may have noticed a slightly lower ball with the Aldila. Maybe. I will say that I was extremely impressed with what I saw today.

As for what I felt, I did notice the 'kick' I mentioned earlier in the thread and it's at impact. It's almost like I can feel the impact of the head and ball in the tip of the shaft. Maybe that will make sense to somebody. Not a negative thing or positive thing in my mind - just an observation. Regardless, love the balance and the whole thing through the swing. It's a great match with the XH head in looks and in balance.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow on the course. If I hit anywhere near as well as I did today on the range I will be happy.

Lower than the white tie but maybe too high for "perfect numbers"? Interesting do you balloon The white tie?

I know this isn't a what head is better test, but I'm curious about what was going on with the XHP head. I know you have limited time with it but how does this shaft compare to what was in the XHP?

The XHP came with a B Asha and it was good as well. Really, all three shafts are very nice and provide similar trajectories. Issue with the XHP is it just doesn't seem very forgiving to me. Very nice when I hit it well, but pretty blah otherwise compared to the X-Hot.

No, I don't really balloon anything with the low spin I put on the ball. I do launch high though, which can make for a pretty high ball. When I say perfect numbers I'm referring to the fancy Trackman chart that gets tossed around every now and then. What I've found is that I don't mind being a little higher than 'ideal' on good swings because it gives me some wiggle room on misses. I give a little to gain a little.

I hit this thing very well today. Good distance, good ball flight, good accuracy. Some of my best drives of the year. I can't think of one negative. Bhilln hit it and (as a longknocker) agreed with me that it didn't feel super soft like some tip-soft shafts can at times. I like the way it feels and the performance is there. I'd play it any day.

Back