Choosing Your Driver - Does Price Come Into Play?

Price is definitely a consideration when looking at clubs over here in NZ as they are very expensive. take the new SLDR driver I seen the other day in the shop and it was priced at $660 nzd. Another example is the very popular Cobra amp cell driver, it has just had a price drop to $399nzd here but I see it on rockbottomgolf for you guys for only about $130usd. So price is a big point for me anyway, that is why I still have an r11s and probably will for at least another year or two until some prices start coming down.

Price is a consideration, however, I never buy from retail so it isn't as much as a factor.

Yes it is, I don't even consider drivers over $300. I'll just wait until they're on eBay if I like them that much

Sent from my Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that I'm answering the right question, but here goes.

Typically, I am one if those who wait 6-12 months (or more) after a driver release before buying. It's just hard for me to justify spending $300-400 on a single club.

With that said, if I'm buying new, I'm not going to let $100 stop me from buying the right club. Price will still be a factor, but it won't be the determining factor.

This is me exactly.

I'm not sure that I'm answering the right question, but here goes.

Typically, I am one if those who wait 6-12 months (or more) after a driver release before buying. It's just hard for me to justify spending $300-400 on a single club.

With that said, if I'm buying new, I'm not going to let $100 stop me from buying the right club. Price will still be a factor, but it won't be the determining factor.
This is pretty much me.

Every OEM puts out good equipment. If I like the $399 driver I'll hit as many of the $299 drivers I can just to know a less expensive alternative does / does not also work for me. There needs to be a demonstrable difference for me to spend top dollar.

Yes, price is a factor. Once spending $300 it would be silly to pass on superior performance for another $100. However it would have to be truly superior, else lower price wins.

Price is a factor going in and it's pretty much a given that I'm not going to pay retail ($4-500) in an attempt to cover up my shortcomings. There is only so much a club design can do to help me get off the tee or down the fairway. I recently went shopping for a new driver. Went to the local golf store and hit different ones. I settled on the newest Ping (Anser), bought some golf balls as a way of "thanks for your time", and went shopping for the best price for my club choice. It wasn't long before I found the club for well under $200, being sold by someone who bought it new and decided his old driver suited him better.... bought it, had it authenticated by Ping and fitted for my swing. My reasoning is simple, for me.... on average, I get 14 chances, per round, to swing my new driver; how much am I will to spend per slice? The fact is, no new driver at any price is going to miraculously fix my swing. So I error on the side of best price.

I don't think price is really a factor as they're all roughly the sameprice upon release.
I will use the same driver for at least 2 years though.
Personally I can't see thatmuch technology gain from 1 release to the next, a few years give a noticeable difference imo.

Yes. Yes. Yes. If it is my money, brand new driver, current releases, yes. That extra $100 plus taxes is nothing to sneeze at. Heck, I might be playing TPC Las Vegas after a long layoff and need extra balls. LOTS OF EXTRA GOLF BALLS.

The short answer is yes, price is a consideration even in my research.

Price will always be a big factor in any purchase, not just a driver - something would have to perform ridiculously better than everything else for me to even consider dropping x% more on it over the rest of the choices, and even then I would most likely wait until it dropped in price, knowing that the price would come down anyway once the initial hype had run out

It's definitely a factor, I've never bought a new driver. Ebay is my usual shop.

Unfortunately, no. Sometimes I shop around for a club to get the best deal, but I'm at a point that if I find a club I like and hit well, I'll get it. One helping factor is I am friends with the guys at my local golf stores and they give me a discount on pretty much everything and I don't have the fear of paying for a counterfeit off of an online auction site.

12 months ago, no.
Now, yes.

Previously, blinded by marketing and didn't appreciate I don't have the game to take advantage of whatever tweaks/improvements are in a top tier driver.

Now, if in the market, I'd rather get T2, T3 driver and spend the difference on other things.

When Im shopping for a new driver price is a very small factor. With that said I jumped on the R1 the day it was released and its something I will never do again. About a month or two after its release they started showing up used for 1/2 of what I paid for it

If the numbers are that much better no price doesn't matter. But that rarely happens and I normally wait to find a used one.

Yes and no. Depends on how the driver works for me

I have bought a current model driver new off the shelf only once...I will never do it again. I simply cannot afford to.

Price is a major factor. I will definitely choose to buy, or not to buy, based on price. A couple years ago, I was fit for a Titleist driver with an upgraded shaft at a demo day. I didn't buy the driver because it was $800 after upgrade. I went down the line of offerings and found the next best numbers I could get in a stock shaft. I bought the Razr Fit for $350. I always sell what I'm getting rid of to help cover the cost of the new one and I've given myself a budget of $200 after the sale. If I can't get a new one for that, I can't afford it. To be honest, I probably can't even afford $200!!! :)

If I hit it and love it and have the money it could be in my bag soon. I don't replace my driver all that regularly though.

The big thing now though is that the driver is not what it used to be in the game. When you can hit 3 wood off the tee and have a reasonable shot in then it makes the driver a little less important in the game and not a club you want to replace every year anymore.

No, price isn't a huge issue for me. Golf is really the only thing I really spend money on, and if I find something that is the best fit for me. I'm going to get it. ( Now, this is based on current pricing - if driver pricing gets even more ridiculous than it already is, that could change! ) I know if I settle, and don't like what I am settling for, I will regret it and end up spending more when I get a new driver to replace the one I settled for lol!

Yes, price is a factor for me when considering drivers as well as othe clubs.

If it is a driver that I really like and I can't find an older model to save $$, I will consider paying the $399 for the driver. But stock specification and whether I can find a model that fits me (left-handed) will come into play.

Great question and one I've changed my approach on. In the past I just couldn't justify the $399 segments, so I stayed in the $299 camp. However, the more drivers have progressed in technology, the more I see the benefit to the higher priced ones.

This year for example, I went with the standard XHot as it was in my price range, I really "wanted to have" the RFE and was willing to pay the extra $$ for the greater adjustability. But the LM numbers for each in a fitting showed that the XHot was better for me.

Of course I demoed the Optiforce when it came out, and the numbers were great, so the price was justified in my mind and that's what I went with.

I weigh price, but I factor in the stock shaft as well to it and go from there. If the shaft fits me vs having to go something aftermarket, that matters a ton as well.
Took the words right out of my mouth, I think shaft comes into play a bit and then price, usually the price is a bit higher depending on shaft and that may make it a worth while investment.

Back