The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I see that Tiger has been awarded "Athlete of the Decade" by the Associated Press, beating out Armstrong, and Federer. Good news is always welcome.......:D

Where in the blue hill did I do anything of the sort? I speak about how the media is completely different back then. Perhaps its time for you to move along.

I must have missed where you criticized the previous poster for dragging the name of the most beloved golfer in the history of the game through the mud, based on nothing but what he claims "old timers used to say about him". The off field exploits of Mantle, Ford, Martin, Hornung, Karras, etc. were well publicized back then. I was there. I remember. There was a boys will be boys attitude towards them. Nothing of the sort was whispered about Arnie. I've been a fan for 50 years. Why is it ok for him to shred Arnie's rep based on rumors but we should take a wait & see approach to Tiger in the face of police & hospital reports and a mountain of evidence ? Tiger may be a better golfer than Arnie ever was but as a human being he's a hacker compared to the King and Arnie does not deserve to have that post pass unchallenged.

I must have missed where you criticized the previous poster for dragging the name of the most beloved golfer in the history of the game through the mud, based on nothing but what he claims "old timers used to say about him". The off field exploits of Mantle, Ford, Martin, Hornung, Karras, etc. were well publicized back then. I was there. I remember. There was a boys will be boys attitude towards them. Nothing of the sort was whispered about Arnie. I've been a fan for 50 years. Why is it ok for him to shred Arnie's rep based on rumors but we should take a wait & see approach to Tiger in the face of police & hospital reports and a mountain of evidence ? Tiger may be a better golfer than Arnie ever was but as a human being he's a hacker compared to the King and Arnie does not deserve to have that post pass unchallenged.

My claims are from 2 "old timers" who golfed with Arnie on both the PGA and Champions Tour and knew him on more than a fan level, where does your information come from?

My claims are from 2 "old timers" who golfed with Arnie on both the PGA and Champions Tour and knew him on more than a fan level, where does your information come from?

Did you confirm that information with two unbiased sources? LOL.

Kevin

Did you confirm that information with two unbiased sources? LOL.

Kevin

Nope! But then again I didn't think an off hand remark would rile someone in such a way to get a response like that. People and their idols/hero's are amusing.

How's business? I'm ready to call it quits for the rest of the year. I have made double my minimum already for the month and far exceeded what I expected for the year and still turning down work everyday. We are thinking of heading to Lake Tahoe for the rest of year and just go skiing through the holiday. Probably head out on Monday for a week. I have a golf tournament on the 27th I have to be back for. Playing all our 27 holes from the tips in a 2 man scramble with tight pins and double rolled greens.

I love this email that Golf Magazine just published in their latest issue (must have been at print before the Tiger mess);

"And off the course, there is no other person who defines "gentleman" any better than Tiger Woods, so we all have a long way to go before beating him-anywhere."

I guess if being a gentleman is screwing around on your wife and 2 kids for the last 3+ years than yes, I have a long way to go to beat him off the course. I bet M. Swanson would want to have that email back now.

Nope! But then again I didn't think an off hand remark would rile someone in such a way to get a response like that. People and their idols/hero's are amusing.

How's business? I'm ready to call it quits for the rest of the year. I have made double my minimum already for the month and far exceeded what I expected for the year and still turning down work everyday. We are thinking of heading to Lake Tahoe for the rest of year and just go skiing through the holiday. Probably head out on Monday for a week. I have a golf tournament on the 27th I have to be back for. Playing all our 27 holes from the tips in a 2 man scramble with tight pins and double rolled greens.

Business is steady. Not getting rich, but making a living without a ton of stress. Relo work is down all over, and I'm no exception. I usually do 90-110 relos every year. This year 60 or so it looks like. That's hurt a bit, but will come back.

Now, back to TIGER WOODS.

Kevin

Your offhand comment is based on hearsay then. So you trashed the reputation of Arnold Palmer based on what 2 "old timers" told you. My problem with that is you comparing him with Tiger. Tiger's behavior is well documented and now admitted (I got that information from countless news sources and his web site). Yours is based upon what 2 old-timers think they knew about him. Do you think it's fair to spread rumors based upon that ?

Your offhand comment is based on hearsay then. So you trashed the reputation of Arnold Palmer based on what 2 "old timers" told you. My problem with that is you comparing him with Tiger. Tiger's behavior is well documented and now admitted (I got that information from countless news sources and his web site). Yours is based upon what 2 old-timers think they knew about him. Do you think it's fair to spread rumors based upon that ?

FYI - If Vegan's old-timer sources heard it from Arnie himself, that is not hearsay.

So because I did not criticize him for bring Arnold Palmer up, you believe that is bias. You have a bone to pick and you think this thread is your spot to do it. I thinks its time for you to head back to where you came from. Its clear why you are here.

Since the rumor is accusing Arnie of bad behavior, wouldn't it be heresy?

Now back to TIGER WOODS.

Kevin

So because I did not criticize him for bring Arnold Palmer up, you believe that is bias. You have a bone to pick and you think this thread is your spot to do it. I thinks its time for you to head back to where you came from. Its clear why you are here.

LOL why did I unsubscribe to this thread.....this is getting good..:popcorn:

FYI, it's the very definition of hearsay -

"Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor"

I want to start by saying that I like Arnold Palmer. I think he did some great things for golf. But, there are not anonymous people saying that they felt Arnie took liberties with the rules. In Ken Venturi's book “Getting up & down: My 60 years in golf" he claimed that Arnie knowingly took an illegal drop. Venturi still do this day thinks he was robbed of a Masters.

Certainly this is only a singular case and only one side of the story, but not all of it is hearsay.

I really hope Arnie doesn't keep getting tossed around in this conversation. This is about the disappointing actions of Tiger Woods, not what Arnie may or may not have done in almost 70 years in the public eye.

I don't really want to know. Whatever he may or may not have done, he kept it quiet enough. Maybe he was born at the right time. Nothing anyone else has done makes Tiger's actions any more palatable, at least to me.

Besides, Arnie is way cooler than Tiger. Way. Cooler.

Kevin

I really hope Arnie doesn't keep getting tossed around in this conversation. This is about the disappointing actions of Tiger Woods, not what Arnie may or may not have done in almost 70 years in the public eye.

I don't really want to know. Whatever he may or may not have done, he kept it quiet enough. Maybe he was born at the right time. Nothing anyone else has done makes Tiger's actions any more palatable, at least to me.

Kevin

I agree with you Kevin. However, you forgot to mention one thing - when he was younger - Arnie was hot.

Let's definitely try to stay on topic here folks!

There have been some well stated opinions here and at the end of the day it is really not that important to me what anyone else does. Let's try to keep things civil and be respectful to each other and the conversation will be more enjoyable to everyone. This is a golf community and I hope everyone here would be as respectful to each other in the forum as you would be on the golf course.

Last edited:

The fact that you are supposedly this great Arnie fan and don't even know he admitted to "being less than faithful" to his wife is hilarious!

The fact that you are supposedly this great Arnie fan and don't even know he admitted to "being less than faithful" to his wife is hilarious!

I didn't know that. Would it be rude to ask you to provide a source for your information ? The quotes you surrounded it with make it look very official and while I'm not doubting you I'd be interested to read up on it myself. I know he regretted not being able to spend as much time with his family as he would have liked and not being the best husband and father, but this admission of unfaithfulness is a new one on me.

I want to start by saying that I like Arnold Palmer. I think he did some great things for golf. But, there are not anonymous people saying that they felt Arnie took liberties with the rules. In Ken Venturi's book “Getting up & down: My 60 years in golf" he claimed that Arnie knowingly took an illegal drop. Venturi still do this day thinks he was robbed of a Masters.

Certainly this is only a singular case and only one side of the story, but not all of it is hearsay.

Yes that's one very well known incident where Arnie at The 1958 Masters, after plugging behind 12 and being told he was not allowed relief, made double with the plugged ball. Arnie strongly disagreed with the rules official, said he was going to take a drop anyway and play it and let the rules committee sort it out. He made par with that ball. The rules committee found in Arnie's favor by the time they got to 15. Remember that Arnie was just another guy at this point. To this day Venturi thinks he was robbed. The rules committee at Augusta felt otherwise.

The fall out continues;

Terms of Service

It's going to be a whole new world financially on the tour. Especially if he doesn't come back. I think Nike may be the only one to stick with him after it's all said and done. He'll get other sponsorships if he comes back as strong as ever but he'll never be the $100 million man again.

The fall out continues;

Terms of Service

If advertising costs go down, shouldn't the cost of equipment go down? I mean, theoretically? Same as if the prize money goes down? In the end who was paying for the purses anyway? The people who buy the products.

Doubt it will happen, at least much. But it should.

In Ken Venturi's book “Getting up & down: My 60 years in golf" he claimed that Arnie knowingly took an illegal drop. Venturi still do this day thinks he was robbed of a Masters.

Venturi also never backed down on his contention that the Tiger boulder ruling was improper, regardless of the fact that the same situation was documented as a Decision long before Tiger made use of it. Venturi is not a good reference for rules questions. :rolleyes:

Kevin

Tiger may be the better player, but Arnie was the better personality... still is. :D

If Elin is truly packing up and heading back to Sweden to await divorce proceedings, then I don't think it will be as long as some people think before Tiger is back on Tour looking for solace in competition.

Back