Wedges & Full Swings

Unless the conditions are special - very soft, sloping greens and other instances where a lot of spin is a bad thing, I'll rip at it with the wedges as often as I can. If I have 100 yards, which is my full 58* or one "gear" down on my 52*, I'll always hit the 58*. Softer swings tend to get too cute for me and I'll get more dispersion.

Wedges & Full Swings

Cool. Thanks for the reply. Good luck with getting it worked out.

Saw my instructor Friday swing flaws were picked apart and fix in the works.

Over my last two rounds I have had more full swing wedge distances than I have all year. I screwed up most of the by coming under the ball leaving me coming up short.

Time to get some work in with full swings.

This thread has both improved & ruined my wedge shots!
Since reading it, I am now hitting 75% shots almost all the time. I am generating more spin(serious zip y'all!) and lower trajectory. More accurate than I have ever been.
the downside is I am not used to having to aim left of every flag to cover that hard spin & I am struggling to hit it beyond the pin so it comes back. Not trusting yet.
this has been like asking me if I am using my right eye or left eye more when I putt! :banghead:

I never swing at 100% with the wedges. If I feel that Im at the limit of a certain wedge, I will club up and swing easier. With short irons and wedges, its all about accuracy and precision and you are never going to achieve that if you are swinging at your maximum.

The shot is totally dependant on the course for myself, the courses I tend to play have hard surfaces and the required approach shots tend to be chip and runs to the hole. On a wetter/softer course I like to hit full wedge shots to get the stop on the greens and the distance control is pretty much bang on every time.

I played in a scramble yesterday and hit many 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 shots while my playing partners hit full wedges on all the shots. I was far more accurate with my touch shots then they were with full swings.

Less movements, less room for error and aggressive passes at the ball with controlled motion.

Very rare doing full swing with wedges 54 and 60... almost never in 2015 -2016. However, I do full swing only in bunker. Near to the green, I usually do half swing or soft swing with my GW ( 49* ).

Full swing, half swing, putting stroke...if there's a wedge in my hand the result will probably be catastrophic.

My wedges are for up close & personal work, hunting for turkeys on the green. Other than PW, everything else is 1/2 - 3/4 swings, unless a high flop shot is needed with the lob.

I'll full swing my 54/55*'s regularly. It's a solid 90-95 yard club and I'm pretty accurate with it. So if I'm aiming for 100 yards out and go a bit past, I like that option sometimes. I'll use the 58/60*'s sparingly. Maybe a few times a year if I'm close to the green and need to get over trees and such. Other than that I love 3/4-1/2 shots with them and have become very accurate and comfortable with those types of shots.

Saw my instructor Friday swing flaws were picked apart and fix in the works.

Over my last two rounds I have had more full swing wedge distances than I have all year. I screwed up most of the by coming under the ball leaving me coming up short.

Time to get some work in with full swings.

Seeing this now is funny cause I couldn't tell you the last time I took a full swing wedge shot. The most I take anymore is 3/4 and I'm way more accurate both left to right and yardage wise than I've ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3/4 and 1/2 swings for me. Rarely do I use a full swing with my wedges. For my set PW I do use a full swing more regularly. Probably half of my shots with it are a full swing.

I full swing through my 54, and use other swings in those clubs too my 58 is greenside only

I never go more than 3/4's.

I will full swing my 52* often. my 56* is pretty much my sand wedge or deep rough/very soggy ground due to the high bounce.

My 60* is probably my most used wedge. I will full swing from 75-60 yards. mostly use it for greenside chipping or playing a short flop.

I rarely use a full swing with wedges because I tend to generate too much spin. I had 110 the other day and hit a hard SW that spun back to 20 feet but landed inside 10'. I prefer 3/4 knock downs that hop and stop

I stopped full swinging my 58/60 finally and it's really improved my game. I will full swing my 54 still though.

I'm not sure if I love full swinging my wedges or if I simply 3/4 swing all my irons, but either way I swing them the same if the yardage dictates it. I love a nice high launching and spinning wedge into our rock hard summer greens.

The majority of the time I hit all my wedges 1/2 to 3/4. However I am not opposed to hitting them full especially if I need to go over something.

Back