Wedges & Full Swings

I used to hit my SW full at 100yds or anything close, but lately I have noticed that the only thing swinging full accomplishes is hitting the ball higher. So I have learned to back it down to about 80%. Much more accurate which is way more important at short range.

I never use my wedges for full swings. At a full swing distance for my 58°, I much prefer a partial swing with my 54°. At a full swing distance with my 54°, I MUCH prefer a partial swing with my AW that came with my iron set. I love the heavier wedges for partial shots and chipping, but I hate the heavier weight with full swings. I can't swing it as consistently as I can a regular iron. Plus I'm usually pretty dead on with a partial AW, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I sometimes use full swings on my wedges. I am more dialed in on distance with a full swing. For example, a full swing 60 degree wedge goes 120 for me (kidding!), it really carries about 60-65 yards with about 5 yards of roll. My 56 degree sand wedge is about 85-90 with roll. If I need 60 yards to make the green and another 5 to get to the flag, I will probably just go with a full swing with the 60 as opposed to trying to calculate taking just enough off a SW to make it get there... One caveat is the lie, if it is a hard pan/poor lie I will probably ditch the lob wedge and go with the sand wedge.

Since going more with a 54 and 58 setup I use a lot of full swings. However this year since I had a large gap in my wedges at one point(49-57) I started working on more of the pelz system with my PW and AW to start getting me the desired distances. Not it all depends on the situation because I feel I can control my distance pretty well with a 3/4 PW or AW. Also I have not been seeing my anticipated yardages with the ATV wedges.

Not often. I started using 10 o'clock, 9 o'clock,etc... For short game I've found that I can cover all distances from 120 to 75 accurately with my PW now. Other wedges I use when I need a faster stop on a short side pin, or to get over a tree, but full swings are rare.

Inside 75 is same criteria, generally use my 50 gap 75-50, more loft if I need a softer/shorter show.

Other wedges I may use for a harder swing out of rough, but that's as close as I come to a hard swing with a wedge.

My short game has improved a lot since adopting this instead of trying full swings with different wedges.

I use my 53* wedge from 100-110yds and my 56* from 85-100yds full swing but choking down on the grip for change in yardage.

Great thread. When I went to a 4 wedge set up I didn't even really think about what I was doing. I just started hitting them full when at the right distance. I really need to go back and hit 3/4 shots with different clubs. I lost accuracy without even thinking about why. Just another reason I like this place!

I use a full swing with my 56 degree quiet a bit because there is a par 3 that is just the perfect distance for that club with a full swing.

All the time. I try and get from 80-115 yards out on many holes, which are full wedge shots for me.

I use them quite often for full swings. Actually, just about every opportunity I get for it, I will pull a full swing with my 50/54/58.

Same here... I actually am pretty fearless when it comes to being aggressive with my wedges - have a lot of confidence in them. Especially my 60'. That said, I have no problem easing off my 60 when needed.

I use my 58* for full shots between 90-100 and 52* for anything from 100-115 when possible. I play a lot of punchy shots too, but it really depends on the lie and such.

I go for a full swing with a 50* with a 110 to 120 yds shot but for the other wedges 54* or 58* mostly it's a 3/4 swing depending on the shot needed.

I typically take a close to full swing, but the swing is very much within myself... i.e. the swing itself is close to full, but my transition / swing aggression is way less than with other clubs.

To manage my distance gaps I tend to choke down the grip as required, generally using the same swing.

Distance are:

Pw: 125-105
52: 100-80
56: 75-60
64: 55-40 (rarely used in that capacity)

I also use a full swing with my wedges any chance I get. I'm confident with my current 50° (120) and 56° (100) and also like to choke down and take full swings as the yardage dictates. I have found that, for me, trying to take something off a shot on a PW or any other club for that matter leads to more misses and less consistency into the greens.

I understand everyone does what works for them but as I was reading through this thread I am shocked to see guys able to hit a full PW or AW but not their scoring wedges because they feel so different. Your scoring wedges should blend into your set - if they don't work with the rest of your set then you might consider getting a set of wedges that better match your other clubs so you can be confident through the set. When I test wedges I always A/B them with my PW for feel and to check gaps.

I don't take those shots frequently because I like to plan holes so that I have a 9 iron or PW in (my most accurate clubs).

I find that I haven't had great control on full swings with my wedges lately. From about 50 - 60 yards I'm really good (3/4 58*), and from about 100 yards (easy PW) I'm good, but in between has been tough. I know that a lot of it has to do with my 6* gaps, which I intend to remedy soon. The other thing is a tendency to catch wedges fat, which I will need to work on.

Always. I'll open up my 60* for closer shots and if I'm too close for that then it's chipping range with a lower lofted iron. Eventually I'll start working on partial swings with them but for now I can do just about any shot I need with this technique and be pretty happy with the results.

I'll use a 3/4 swing with the 56 and 62 almost every time. The only exception is when I'm in some deep rough or need to spin the ball more than normal, then I'll take more of a full swing with those 2.

I like to use a full swing with them every chance I get... my only issue is that since my recent swing change I hit the ball very high and straight but as i often short.

I rarely hit a wedge(PW, GW, SW, LW) with a full swing.... I find that I usually get the same distance out of them when I do anyway. The shorter swing allows for a lot more control and better results hands down.

I understand everyone does what works for them but as I was reading through this thread I am shocked to see guys able to hit a full PW or AW but not their scoring wedges because they feel so different. Your scoring wedges should blend into your set - if they don't work with the rest of your set then you might consider getting a set of wedges that better match your other clubs so you can be confident through the set. When I test wedges I always A/B them with my PW for feel and to check gaps.

For me at least it's not a gapping issue with full swings its accuracy over distance. I use partial swings for accuracy distance control and left right accuracy plus turf interaction.

Heck the only clubs in my bag I full 100% swing are driver & 3wd which I have the least control over. When I hit irons I go for a smooth controlled swing that leaves something in the tank because I'm much more accurate this way and only loose about 5-8yds off a full swing.

I rarely hit a wedge(PW, GW, SW, LW) with a full swing.... I find that I usually get the same distance out of them when I do anyway. The shorter swing allows for a lot more control and better results hands down.

What about with your new SCOR's?? Have you got them yet, and are they easier with a full swing?

Rarely ever, if I need to max out my gap wedge which for me would be near 100 yards, then I might on rare occassion, but more and more I've found myself hitting a 3/4 PW from that distance.

I am a big fan of the 3/4 shot. I feel like with that shot I can control the ball much better. I don't mind the full swing either, but I don't prefer it. I always feel like I have to muscle up a 52, because my PW is 46 and too much club inside 135 yards. But I really only feel comfortable with the 52 up to about 120 yards, so that 15 yards has always been a problem. I just bought new Vokeys though and went with the 50/54/58 set up. Can't wait to play em.

Back