Matrix Ozik Altus MFS Hybrid Shafts ("Tie" Series) - THP Review Thread

Looking forward to your thoughts on the red tie and white tie. I have been looking at the original Altus for a G 25 hybrid. This could not be more timely.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks dude. I'm curious as well, eager to SEE the flight differences as its pretty dang cool to think about adjusting the shafts to fit your demands out of each hybrid in your bag based off of flight.

Can't wait to read about these. I LOVE the black tie in my driver and just bought one for my 3wood. I am really looking at finding a shaft for my hybrid that I can trust. I'm curious to hear about the launch and spin with these. Just because I'm a black tie guy for my driver and hopefully my 3 wood, doesn't mean I will be a black tie guy for my hybo. Good luck with the testing!

So cool that Matrix brought this to the hybrids, I've loved the white tie and red tie in woods and black in driver, I have no doubt they'll be amazing in hybrids.

So cool that Matrix brought this to the hybrids, I've loved the white tie and red tie in woods and black in driver, I have no doubt they'll be amazing in hybrids.

It should definitely be interesting, I know what I expect having played the driver shafts all at some time, curious to see how it correlates into these hybrid shafts.

Yep, to say I am excited to hear your reviews on these is very much an understatement Jman. I have a bold prediction that the red tie yields the best results, but certainly expect some positive out of all three.

As noted, I like the simplicity of their system. Low/mid/high.

Should be a good follow. I'm a Matrix homer so I'm very interested in these shafts.

those are some sharp looking shafts! I'm interested to follow along and hopefully tweak my set over the winter.

I loved the original Altus hybrid shaft, I can only imagine these feel great and perform amazingly. Matrix puts out great stuff.

Sorry for the slight hiccup/delay on this everyone, the trip out to Cali kinda shifted things a bit. Good news is grips are in and I can install these tonight, should be on course and range Saturday with all three in 18* heads!

I for one find this delay unacceptable.

Why do I want to try the black one? Whichever is closest to a KK shaft works for me.

Why do I want to try the black one? Whichever is closest to a KK shaft works for me.

Because you're Hawk and you're an animal/bird-of-prey. I'm SO eager to hit them all side by side and SEE each after the other. Its an exciting capability to have for this review.

Indeed it is. I honestly wonder if you'll see that much of a difference outside feel and maybe dispersion. Should be fun to find out.

Sorry for the slight hiccup/delay on this everyone, the trip out to Cali kinda shifted things a bit. Good news is grips are in and I can install these tonight, should be on course and range Saturday with all three in 18* heads!

Can't wait man. I have some hybrid ponders that will be anxiously awaiting your testing.

Indeed it is. I honestly wonder if you'll see that much of a difference outside feel and maybe dispersion. Should be fun to find out.

I boldly predict some pretty sweeping differences in both feedback and flight. Didn't really think about dispersion all that much, but I'm giving my early nod to the hQ3. I bet Jman hits that the best.

For reference sake, because I know THP'ers are always curious (hahaha), these will be going into Cleveland Classic, Bridgestone J40, and Yonex hybrids because in my time with them all I get similar flights out of those heads and the lofts are all there with each-other to keep it as even as possible.

Because you're Hawk and you're an animal/bird-of-prey. I'm SO eager to hit them all side by side and SEE each after the other. Its an exciting capability to have for this review.

I would really love to this info on a Trackman, THAT would truly be a sweet comparison! Still looking to hear your take, but to do this with a Trackman would be even MORE awesome.

I would really love to this info on a Trackman, THAT would truly be a sweet comparison! Still looking to hear your take, but to do this with a Trackman would be even MORE awesome.

Trackman is not a viable option. Sadly I don't have those kinds of funds or local access outside of 2+ hours, plus, when it comes to shafts numbers are nice but they will ALWAYS produce different numbers for each golfer and their unique swing.

Trackman is not a viable option. Sadly I don't have those kinds of funds or local access outside of 2+ hours, plus, when it comes to shafts numbers are nice but they will ALWAYS produce different numbers for each golfer and their unique swing.

Sure I get that, and then after I posted that, I saw you were using different club heads as well...which could also "skew" the date a bit as well no matter how similar the ball flight is. It's all good, you'll be able to see the difference enough to make a great read on the shafts I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing what you find Jman.

Sure I get that, and then after I posted that, I saw you were using different club heads as well...which could also "skew" the date a bit as well no matter how similar the ball flight is. It's all good, you'll be able to see the difference enough to make a great read on the shafts I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing what you find Jman.

It won't "skew" nearly as much as you think IMO. The key to this is do the shaft do what they are categorized by Matrix to do from launch and spin characteristics, by having the same loft in the heads and being able to hit them side by side one after another the minute spin differences will not be an issue, and the launch of all three is incredibly close to eachother. Each will still allow the tracking of if the shafts are what they say they are launch/spin (high/low, mid/mid, low/mid). Numbers are great, but the real focus IMO needs to be do they do what they say IMO. Just my take on it.

So, this week has been chaos, what with the trip and then playing work catch-up on grading and such, oof.

That said, there was also an issue with the Yonex hybrid, forgot that it is actually a .350 (yes, you read that right) shaft diameter. No fears though, I had a buddy loan me his classic 18* so one of those now houses the white-tie and one the black-tie with the red-tie in the J40. All are cured and grips have been installed, all three also play at exactly the same length. Hopefully I can squeeze some range time in prior to parent teacher conferences tomorrow, but I at least have wed, thur, fri off to play golf all day each day.

All three look just as badass as their driver/fairway counterparts when installed, Matrix always nails the aesthetics.

Looking forward to your very detailed thoughts.

Looking forward to your very detailed thoughts.

Hahaha, novella's are all I know!

The ability to hit one after another in sequence has me incredibly excited, its something I wish I'd been able to do in the driver shafts.

Hahaha, novella's are all I know!

The ability to hit one after another in sequence has me incredibly excited, its something I wish I'd been able to do in the driver shafts.

I know and they're great mini novels.

Off topic I've tried to line up my reviews like yours getting as many details as I can think of into the initial review!

Back