SeeMore SPi Cyber Coach

Awesome looking program. I will definitely be following along. I am sort of in the same boat as jman, as I was going to the same instructor. But I do have options in the DFW area. But this program sounds fantastic. I really like that you can go back and watch the videos over repeatedly, which would help over the course of time.
Good luck with the program.

A great thing about SPi Cyber Coach is that you can add your full swing instructor and/or short game instructor to all of the information as well. Very neat concept.

A great thing about SPi Cyber Coach is that you can add your full swing instructor and/or short game instructor to all of the information as well. Very neat concept.
Wow, keeping it centralized would be awesome!!!

Here is the plan Ben has put together for me for the next month:

In the next few weeks we need to look at creating your putting menu.

I think there are 4 areas that make for good putting. We need drills for each of these areas and we call this your putting menu: 

1) Putting Technique 

2) Putting Feel 

3) Green Reading 

4) Mental Game
We will create drills for each of these areas. 

In the putting technique menu there are 5 main areas we need to look at that make up good putting technique.

Setup Keys 

Face at address (aim) 

Face at impact 

Path 

Tempo

Our goal over the next few weeks is to make sure you have a way of practicing all of these areas.

Today I worked on my set up by creating a Setup Station using a simple alignment stick (I use a driveway marker). I put myself in the proper set-up position and then use the alignment stick to mark the distance between the center of the ball and the front of my shoes. The face of the putter should be smack in the middle of the stance. I used a sharpie to mark that distance and then moved the alignment stick so it is parallel with my toes, placing that mark in the center of my stance. I then marked where my front of my shoes are on the alignment stick. This allows me to make sure I get in the perfect position every time. The instant feedback this provides is great and it was really cool to see the how quickly my consistency improved. I am already sinking far more putts and feeling much more confident over the golf ball. 

The next drill that I worked on today was because of something Ben noticed with my stroke. I tend to make a very short backswing and then use too long of a follow thru to make up for it. This gets my hands and arms too involved which also can lead to some consistency issues.

Ben had be put a ruler down and then make the stroke using the following measurements:

Ball at 10"
Backswing at 24" 

Follow thru at 4"

This has been more difficult than it sounds. With that long of backswing I feel like I need to decelerate the stroke or I am going to crush the putt. After a while I was able to get into a better rhythm and I feel if I can make this change it will really help my game. I have always struggled with my distance control, so if I can quiet my hands and arms just by taking a longer backswing that would be huge.

Looking forward to this weekend, as it will be my first chance to get outside and try the tips and techniques I have learned so far and see what happens.

Hope you drain some bombs!
Love this plan
Here is the plan Ben has put together for me for the next month:

In the next few weeks we need to look at creating your putting menu.

I think there are 4 areas that make for good putting. We need drills for each of these areas and we call this your putting menu: 

1) Putting Technique 

2) Putting Feel 

3) Green Reading 

4) Mental Game
We will create drills for each of these areas. 

In the putting technique menu there are 5 main areas we need to look at that make up good putting technique.

Setup Keys 

Face at address (aim) 

Face at impact 

Path 

Tempo

Our goal over the next few weeks is to make sure you have a way of practicing all of these areas.

Today I worked on my set up by creating a Setup Station using a simple alignment stick (I use a driveway marker). I put myself in the proper set-up position and then use the alignment stick to mark the distance between the center of the ball and the front of my shoes. The face of the putter should be smack in the middle of the stance. I used a sharpie to mark that distance and then moved the alignment stick so it is parallel with my toes, placing that mark in the center of my stance. I then marked where my front of my shoes are on the alignment stick. This allows me to make sure I get in the perfect position every time. The instant feedback this provides is great and it was really cool to see the how quickly my consistency improved. I am already sinking far more putts and feeling much more confident over the golf ball. 

The next drill that I worked on today was because of something Ben noticed with my stroke. I tend to make a very short backswing and then use too long of a follow thru to make up for it. This gets my hands and arms too involved which also can lead to some consistency issues.

Ben had be put a ruler down and then make the stroke using the following measurements:

Ball at 10"
Backswing at 24" 

Follow thru at 4"

This has been more difficult than it sounds. With that long of backswing I feel like I need to decelerate the stroke or I am going to crush the putt. After a while I was able to get into a better rhythm and I feel if I can make this change it will really help my game. I have always struggled with my distance control, so if I can quiet my hands and arms just by taking a longer backswing that would be huge.

Looking forward to this weekend, as it will be my first chance to get outside and try the tips and techniques I have learned so far and see what happens.

Really can't wait to see the improvements long term for you Howzat. I put an alignment rod up the putter shaft and noticed I was a touch off. Quick fix, uh oh. Felt so solid.

This might have to get a hard ponder for the Morgan Cup next year...

Really can't wait to see the improvements long term for you Howzat. I put an alignment rod up the putter shaft and noticed I was a touch off. Quick fix, uh oh. Felt so solid.

This might have to get a hard ponder for the Morgan Cup next year...

I am blown away so far by the amount of info and personalized instruction I have got after just sending a few videos.

I am blown away so far by the amount of info and personalized instruction I have got after just sending a few videos.

Seriously, it's almost seeming like a daily video. That's way above and beyond what I would expect for a cyber lesson. Usually it's here's my video.. Here's the response.. No in between :/

Seriously, it's almost seeming like a daily video. That's way above and beyond what I would expect for a cyber lesson. Usually it's here's my video.. Here's the response.. No in between :/

It has been like 3 personalized videos from him every other day and that is in part I have devoted an hour every other day for practice. Basically he demonstates drills for me to work on. I knock them out and tell him how they went or send him a video showing him where I am at. Next time I go to the site he usually has some video feedback and something else to work on. Very much like facebook we have multiple disscussions going on at once and everything is in one place for easy access and ability to reference the material we have already covered.

That's just so darn cool man. Definitely gotta look further into this

First two rounds in the books using the putting stats card. I am not a guy who typically keeps stats other than my score so I really have nothing to compare these numbers to. I two putt most of the time and would say I average between 34-36 putts a round prior. I was very happy with the amount of 1 putts I had this weekend including several longer ones. I also burned the edges on several of the missed putts.

Round 1 - 10/12
///
Misses Low - 7
Misses High - 3
Makes - 7
Dead Center - 1
Short - 2
Long - 1
Perfect - 7

Putts: 30
GIR: 3
Score: 82

Round 2 - 10/13
///
Misses Low - 4
Misses High - 9
Makes - 5
Dead Center - 0
Short - 4
Long - 1
Perfect - 8

Putts: 33
GIR: 6
Score: 82

Even though I missed a ton of greens on Saturday, draining 7 one-putts, which is unreal for me, saved the round. Two 3-Jacks hurt a very good round on Sunday. I was a little shocked at how much more control I felt over the longer putts with the changes I have made to the stroke. The short ones are not as automatic as I would like and I felt like I was hitting those putts to hard or too soft with no consistency.

I really liked using the putting stat card. After seeing the results from the first round, I maybe over compensated a little during the second round. I found I was burning the edge of the high side on multiple occasions. The ability to look at some real time data allowed me to make some minor changes to the round that I think were beneficial. I would say based on these results alone having a Cyber Coach likely saved me a few strokes already.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Erik! Look's like you're starting to see some good results.

Thanks for sharing Erik! Look's like you're starting to see some good results.

When I found myself in the correct set-up it everything felt so easy and the ball went right were I wanted to to go. I did find myself having issues getting in the right position everytime however. I plan to spend at least 10-15 min. a day just making working on getting into the correct position on top of the 3-4 hours a week I have devoted to practice. I also have the Peter Kostis Putting Professor showing up this week to help work on the stroke.

I'm pretty amazed at the amount of information that is being provided for the cost of the system. I don't know what a lesson costs with an SPi instructor in person, but the amount of information is crazy that you are getting. The fact that you can reference it forever is a huge plus too.

I'm pretty amazed at the amount of information that is being provided for the cost of the system. I don't know what a lesson costs with an SPi instructor in person, but the amount of information is crazy that you are getting. The fact that you can reference it forever is a huge plus too.

I know it has only been a week but this has already surpassed whatever expectations I had going into it. I feel like I am really cheating myself if I am not practicing everyday because my Cyber Coach is there ready to give me daily feedback and really tailor this experience to my needs. At this point I only wish I had a few training aids here sooner.

Here is a video Ben put together for me on the use of a plane board. Some really good info here. I am looking forward to mine showing up this week as I think this is going to be a very effective tool.

[video=youtube_share;Z-EvzgoDrrI]http://youtu.be/Z-EvzgoDrrI[/video]

Good stuff Erik....I like the plane board...I have always been a straight back straight through type putter..may have to look into one myself

Here is the drill I have been doing to for the last few days to get more comfortable rocking my shoulders vs. having my hands and arms do all the work.

Could have used that friendly reminder when I was playing on really fast greens. I wonder if a couple of tees on each side of that would help as a governor on that stroke as well so you don't go slamming into it on both sides?

It has taken a solid week of working on my set-up for 20-30 min. a day but I am really starting to feel comfortable with my stance. Another 30 min. a day working on he 60/40 drill and I am automatic rolling it from 8ft on my mat at home. Now it is time to work on the next phase which will include working on speed control and green reading.

40* and light snow at times today. I did not have a very good round but I had a great time. The greens were playing much faster than they looked and I blew several putts past the hole. I left myself several come backers of 5-9 feet but made almost all of them. I feel fairly comfortable with my set-up but need to figure out how to control the speed. I did make a 21 footer from off the green for a birdie which was cool.

Misses Low - 7
Misses High - 8
Makes - 3
Dead Center - 0
Short - 1
Long - 9
Perfect - 5

40* and light snow at times today. I did not have a very good round but I had a great time. The greens were playing much faster than they looked and I blew several putts past the hole. I left myself several come backers of 5-9 feet but made almost all of them. I feel fairly comfortable with my set-up but need to figure out how to control the speed. I did make a 21 footer from off the green for a birdie which was cool.

Misses Low - 7
Misses High - 8
Makes - 3
Dead Center - 0
Short - 1
Long - 9
Perfect - 5

Howzat - thanks for keeping us posted. Have a good weekend.

Today I am going to work on the speed issues I have been having and try to let the ball fall into the hole. My plane board should arrive in the next few days so I can start on some new drills and move into the next phase of my development. I was fun having my regular playing partners notice the positive changes in my stroke and talking to them about the SPI method.

Minor modification to my Z before I start todays practice using the plane board.

20131021_132133_zps66c10530.jpg

Here is a video Ben put together for me on the use of a plane board. Some really good info here. I am looking forward to mine showing up this week as I think this is going to be a very effective tool.

[video=youtube_share;Z-EvzgoDrrI]http://youtu.be/Z-EvzgoDrrI[/video]
I remember a similar thing when I did my original SPi fitting, I love the hand on drills and tips especially with aides.

I remember a similar thing when I did my original SPi fitting, I love the hand on drills and tips especially with aides.

It is harder than I expected to stay connected with the plane board. I can see how this will be a huge help if I can master it.

Back