Wedge Setup and Why?

The TM ATV wedges have zero bounce on them so might help if you have a wedge setup with some bounce on them..

I use the ATV wedges and like the way they work, I wouldn't say they have zero Bounce, when a few of us tested some that Taylormade sent us, we decided it had relative bounce per position of face rather than zero bounce, zero bounce would be a flat sole like the bottom of a metal cube

9 iron thru LW: 42, 48, 54, 58. I feel I'm more versatile with my PW hence the larger loft gap between 9i and SW. I used to carry a gap wedge at 52 along with 56 SW and 60 LW but realized there was too much overlap in distance b/t the PW and GW. Plus I could never get consistent with the 60. Switching to 54 and 58 setup has worked out well. I essentially have 2 sand wedges (determined by lie and distance) in addition to a lob loft that I'm more comfortable with. It was also helpful to replace my stock PW 46 with a 48. I use the PW or 54 for chipping and 58 for soft shots around the green.
It took some time to figure this out but I finally feel its the right setup for me. I tried not to get too focused on "normal" gap differences and stuck with what worked.

46, 50, 54, 60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So I'm changing to a 50 54 58 setup soon, and I've got two options for probably around the same price. Wanted to know what y'all would do:

Option 1) GW to match my CMB irons (50*), and then 2 Vokeys or Mizuno MP's in the other two slots
Option 2) 50*54*58*, all Mizuno MP's

Thoughts?

Now going 50/54/59/64 :alien:

Since getting the SpeedBlades, I'm currently gaming the 50° awesome wedge, and a 56° Cleveland RTX CB Black wedge. I know it's a big gap, but the awesome wedge is really versatile and I pretty much use it all the time. I play the 56° out of the sand, or for pitches around the green where I need to carry a trap or other trouble.

Since getting the SpeedBlades, I'm currently gaming the 50° awesome wedge, and a 56° Cleveland RTX CB Black wedge. I know it's a big gap, but the awesome wedge is really versatile and I pretty much use it all the time. I play the 56° out of the sand, or for pitches around the green where I need to carry a trap or other trouble.

The Awesome Wedge is TRULY awesome!

I have been tinkering with my bag a lot lately. I currently have 46, 50, 54, 58. I carry a 3H then 4-9i, so I am left without a 5 wood. I have tried my last few rounds to not use the 58, what a difference that made. Much better control on the greens and more bag versatility. So I am going to buy a 5 wood and then depending on course length I will swap out the 58 for the 5 wood.

Quick question for you all. I just received my shiny new AMP Cell irons which came with a PW @ 44 and a GW @ 49. I currently own a Taylormade ATV 54 & 58 and was wondering if any THPers had any thoughts on whether am I better off keeping the Cobra wedges or getting rid of them and getting matching ATV's at roughly 46 & 50, or vice versa and picking up the Cobra SW and LW? I'm thinking it would be better to have all my wedges with the same feel but perhaps I'm trying to talk myself into spending more money (not that I ever find it hard to do so) :)

Cheers all.

I think you should test them out first. Some times we as golfers get in our own way if you know what I mean.

Cool thread. I like seeing what everyone is going with and why. Here is my short range set-up.

43° 9i = 120 yards
48° PW = 110 yards
52° GW = 100 yards
56° SW = 85 yards
62° LW = I need to man up and pull this club from my bag. It has cost me more strokes latley than I care to think about.

I'm using a KBS Tour shaft in my irons and TT Wedge shaft in the 48, 52, 56, and 62° clubs to keep my gaps close.

Quick question for you all. I just received my shiny new AMP Cell irons which came with a PW @ 44 and a GW @ 49. I currently own a Taylormade ATV 54 & 58 and was wondering if any THPers had any thoughts on whether am I better off keeping the Cobra wedges or getting rid of them and getting matching ATV's at roughly 46 & 50, or vice versa and picking up the Cobra SW and LW? I'm thinking it would be better to have all my wedges with the same feel but perhaps I'm trying to talk myself into spending more money (not that I ever find it hard to do so) :)

Cheers all.

IMO, match your "full swing" wedges to your set but your feel wedges can be whatever helps you score.

Cheers all.
Personally I like the setup,you have. But you have to go with what works for you. I've games the sw in the set and it's a good club just a thicker sole and top line. But it still performs well. I wouldn't change the PW in the set, I look at it as one of the irons in the bag.

I've switched from 50-54-58 to a 52-58 setup and I feel more comfortable with it. I use my 45* PW for most shots between 135-100 followed by my 52* wedge for 99-80 and then the 58* for 80 and in. I've had really good results from using the PW more often with 1/2 swings and finesse shots. I don't miss my 54*

IMO, match your "full swing" wedges to your set but your feel wedges can be whatever helps you score.

Personally I like the setup,you have. But you have to go with what works for you. I've games the sw in the set and it's a good club just a thicker sole and top line. But it still performs well. I wouldn't change the PW in the set, I look at it as one of the irons in the bag.

I think you should test them out first. Some times we as golfers get in our own way if you know what I mean.

All the above replies are why I love this forum, there is always someone ready to throw some advice your way and bring things into perspective!!!

Until recently I hadn't thought about treating my lower lofted wedges as "full swing" clubs. Mid-round last week I was 75 yards out from the pin and instead of pulling my 9 iron and reduce my swing as I normally would, I decided for some reason to pull out the PW and swing away......... BOOM..... 2 feet from the pin with a one putt for par! I've got to get some quality range time in and work out my full swing distances to aid with my club selection. This should lead to some swing consistency and relying a lot less on trying to hit shots with 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 swings as I used to do.

Based on the above advice I'm going to keep things how they are, get used to my new sticks over a few rounds and lessons, try not to get in my own way :D, and see how my game progresses.

Cheers all, you've been a great help.

I have these wedges available to put in the bag:
44*, 48*, 52*, 54*, 56*, 58* (my 9 iron is 39*)
If you had to pick from these, and brand wasn't a consideration, just loft, what would your setup be and why?
Thanks

46 pw then 50 55 60

Nice even spread, pretty happy with 4 wedges. Bagged 5 for a while, but it was too much to remember as far as what distance is what.

I kind of grew into my setup. Got the 49° as a gift from a friend and liking it much more than the Burner 2.0 that was part of my set. The wide sole allows it to function almost like a chipper and has proven really reliable around the greens. The rest of my wedges were due to a mix of gaps and wanting clubs that let me hit different shots. The 53°, 56°, and 59° setup I ended up with was pretty unintentional. I very rarely look at a shot and don't think I can play it how I want to based on the clubs in the bag. Whether it comes off like I plan is another story, but I feel like my setup just works. Whether I would set it up this way if I were building my setup from scratch, I'm not sure.

I use a fairly standard 60°, 56°, 52° and PW @ 47° or 48°. Covers all my basis. There isn't ever a clear shot within 150 yards that I can't tackle with one of these bad boys. I'm not a good enough golfer to suffer because I have a 4-5° gap in-between clubs. At my level of play, it's all I need.

I like the set up I have now. PW (48*), AW (50*), 52*, and 56*. This covers my basis in a very level step. I haven't carried a 60* in a low time. I'm confident that I can open my 56*, when I need to, to make the shot I need to make. I need to replace the 52* and 56* this year, just because they are starting to get a little wore down, but I'll keep the same lofts most likely.

Had really poor gaps with the setup I had before I got fit. Nowadays I game a 46* PW with 50* and 54* Scor wedges. Gives me great gaps all the way down to 90 yards. Then I added the 58* ATV. I've got the two Scor wedges for a multitude of shots. Buttery smooth and the V sole really works for me. The ATV I'll pull out for the shots where I need a little more forgiveness on ground interaction. Soggy conditions, high rough greenside, etc. The setup gives me confidence with any condition. It's just execution after that...

When i comes time to look at my wedges, i am leaning strongly to going from 55/60 to 54/58

I currently game my pw and a 52 56 60 vokey wedges. This year I will be going to 50 54 58. With a little distance lost the increased loft will help out. Honestly I could almost drop the lob as it is very seldomly used these days.

Other than PW that comes in my set, I'm gaming 54* & 60*...don't like to have too many wedges in my bag. I tend to tinker with the length of backswing, the power needed, closing/opening club face to do short play.

Back