suggest a 2nd set of irons.

semi

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking for a second set of irons. I recently bought Ping G25's which I do like, but I have a vacation home that is one block from a 9 hole course. When I go up there, I usually fish, kayak etc... and don't always want to be lugging my clubs up with me as they fill up my car. If the family goes, there is no chance of bringing my clubs due to space. That being said, I am looking to spend about $250 or less on a decent set that I can keep up north in the event I have time to golf or if the weather is cooperating. I am looking for NEW clubs but would consider a website that had great condition clubs used.

all set with a driver, just need irons. Any suggestions? I don't have too many golf stores around me except the big box stores like Sports Authority and there is a golfsmith a number of miles away. Just need suggestions on clubs that are pretty good in this category. I am a 20 hdcp, but getting better. I use stiff shaft now and am looking for GI club that is forgiving. Any suggestions of where to start?

There are literally hundreds of sets that fall into that price range.
If you like your G25s, I would probably suggest something like that.
Perhaps the G series that is one-two years older (G20 or G15).
Every brand will have something that fits into this category.

Older Adams and Wilson Staff irons can be had quite cheap.

I got my Amp Cells new, for less than $250 on eBay. They're going to become my travel set once I pick up a set of Speedblades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I was at the golfsmith and they didn't have any clubs under $399 except some trade ins that looked like they went thru a tornado. I found Adam's Tight Lies online but not sure if they are decent.

Wilson Staff Ci11. Can be had for under 300 new.

Or a set G25 clones....

Echo others and say Wilson Staff, either Ci11 or Di11. Ci's can be had for right around $250 new, Di's for less than $200.

Even though you say new there are some very nice used sets in the marketplace that would work very well for a second set.

I understand your use case, and frankly think it makes a lot of sense. When that car gets loaded with the family stuff, somehow dad's clubs seem to take up a lot of space.

As JB mentions, the world is your oyster on older sets if your iron budget is $250. You could probably find 3-4 year old clubs in very good condition in most OEMs on the US market. I exclusively purchase used and have gotten many a club (for a certified seller) that looked like they'd only been hit taped up.

You and I play at about the same level. I think the Callaway irons are nice because they're forgiving enough for our level, but I also see people with much lower handicaps playing them. You could probably find something like a set of Diablo Edges (or possibly Razr HL) that also comes with hybrids in the 3 and 4 for your budget. If you've got the driver, all you'd need is a SW and a putter and a bag.

where can clones be found?

Some cobra sz irons would be a good buy. Lol. $250 is a tough one but I've built a few bags up $400

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Back