Golf Company Presence

I really don't care about the so called Social Media stuff. If they answer the phone or email promptly, offer good customer service, and partner with retailers that is good enough for me. Let the product speak for itself. If I swing and hit it and it feels, sounds, and does what it should then it will be on my radar. I like to spend some time looking at everyone's stuff before buying.

Guys in marketing know one thing most people don't - buying things is mostly an emotional decision, not intellectual. If you follow them and feel involved in their products you will buy them more often than you will buy others. Its that simple. If you don't believe me - get a bunch of guys talking about their vehicles and what brand is better than the other, it won't take long to see some people are emotionally invested or attached to a brand.

Before joining THP I didn't really even think about customer interaction. The biggest factors for me were cost, and quality equipment. Now, I love the customer interaction. Callaway has killed it in that respect. Now, that is added to the list of things I look at, a definite combo of all three of those things.

I can see both sides, you obviously want a company to put out solid products, but in order to create buy in, buzz and get someone wanting to buy your product I think you have to let the consumer get involved a bit.

Company presence is important to me. Yes quality products are also important (obviously), but when a company is out there engaging the consumer, making them feel like part of its community, and participating in consumer driven outlets (such as THP) it makes a difference.

All of the best social media and customer interaction won't mean much if you aren't putting out a good product. Question becomes can you have an amazing product and lousy social media and still be successful? I think the answer is yes. There needs to be a balance of the two in this day and age. It's a challenge most companies struggle with. That said some business models don't lend well with marketing the way Callaway has over the last year or so.

Much rather have a golf company involve me as long as the products are top quality.

Involved in THP - I would say that I love companies that get involved with THP. I like companies that will go out and allow forum testing and will allow their equipment to be put in the hands of your everyday consumer without needing to have a company rep present.

Customer service
- this is a huge thing for me. If anything were to go wrong with a club, I would hope the company would stand behind their product. It's one of those things that you hope you never have to deal with, but when you do, having great CS goes a long way to keeping my interest in your product lines.

Frequently in my area
, not really an issue or factor for me.

Social Media - I don't know. I like the social media aspect. I like that I can get some acknowledgement from companies like Callaway, TM, Cobra on twitter or facebook. However for me, it doesn't really factor too much in what equipment I go out and purchase. While I think the social media marketing has become bigger and bigger each year, I think sometime it just falls on deaf ears for me.

All of the best social media and customer interaction won't mean much if you aren't putting out a good product. Question becomes can you have an amazing product and lousy social media and still be successful? I think the answer is yes. There needs to be a balance of the two in this day and age. It's a challenge most companies struggle with. That said some business models don't lend well with marketing the way Callaway has over the last year or so.

I dont think any major companies are putting out poor products anymore.

There is so much good equipment being put out now that benefits all golfers. Truly a great time to be a fan of equipment. The only problem is being able to try it all.

When I was an uninformed consumer (pre THP) it was all about the product. Now that I know more, the interaction really helps set brands apart.

I personally think an involved company is a great thing. Just the information about the company and their products that wouldnt otherwise be shared is fascinating.

Get involved. Today's day and age it's also very easy through social media. Demo day's and through internet forum testing are easy to get your product into peoples hands.

To me, anytime a company, golf or other related, steps up and takes to the One on One Personal level with me, or a customer, THAT is awesome. A lot of times I fell that most consumers get the, "I'm just a number" feeling when doing business with a big name company. When a company can make a young man from central Kansas feel like more than just a number, that's when I start REALLY having a stronger take on that company. This being from Social Media, basic customer service or what have you. Combine this with a very solid, awesome product and you have a customer for life.
A solid product is awesome, and that's what gets me in the door, but a solid product AND great customer service that's above and beyond...that's where you have a winning combination.

I definitely feel customer inclusion/involvement is key. How can they continue to make quality products for you of they don't know what you like?

I'd prefer a company not be like Apple, and just tell you what you should like- despite it obviously not being the best thing out there.

Simple answer: involvement

tappin from my big as note2

I like how this is now a huge part in social media. I feel the way Callaway is interacting with us normal guys is great.

I still want to be fitted for what I perform with best but will definitely lean towards the more interactive company if it's close.

The equipment is my only concern.

If we are talking involvement like callaway with THP, then Yeah I like a company that involves you. I think its cool. It makes you feel like they care about everyone that buys their products and aren't just making products for the pros. However if not for my eyes being opened by being here I'd probably wouldn't even be aware of involvement and I'd purchase products based on how they work for me.

Do you like a company that will involve you or do you not care one way or the other as long as the company keeps putting out solid products?
It could be a number of things.
Social Media
being involved with places like THP
Have great customer service
Frequently in your area.

Anything that brings you closer to the company than you would be otherwise.

Stated this way, yes it definitely makes a big difference.

Here is a partial inventory of equipment that I almost certainly never would have gamed/bought if it weren't for involvement (as defined):
* TM R1, RocketBladez irons
* Bridgestone e5, e6, 330-RX, J40 DPCs
* Srixon golf balls (Q and Z Star)
* Callaway golf balls (Hex Black and Chrome+) (I have also kept their Razr X hybrids in the bag at least partially resulting from their Involvement)
* Puma polos and shorts
* SeeMore
* Belly Putters
* Counter Balanced putters
* Nike Lunar Controls
* FJ Contour Casuals
* Amp Cell driver

I could go on.

Conversely, a prominent grip company did a fairly terrible job with social media, CS and having a presence in my area. After weeks (literally) of trying I finally gave up in my quest to purchase their high end / expensive product and went with something else instead.

When I started it was simply about the products. As I continue on my choices weigh involvement as much as the product. The more I learn about a product and what it is intended to do, the more informative and better decision I can make on what is good for me. While not every product is for me, that involvement may keep that company a consideration of future products.

Do you like a company that will involve you or do you not care one way or the other as long as the company keeps putting out solid products?

There is a balance, but I would say that I like when any company involves the consumers. Getting consumers involved isn't the be-all end-all, as if the product is inferior, the additional consumer interaction could actually backfire.

I agree, the top companies are basically equal in research and design. I think, and this may be another thread to discuss altogether, that pricing of the great equipment has made it hard for the new people to stomach taking up golf. They are the ones that get sticker shock and buy inferior or knock-off clubs, have a poor experience and then leave the game. We need to be able to grow the game if we want to see it continue to succeed. Green fee pricing, clubs, balls, all have gone up exponentially over the last 2 decades. I'm not sure what the answer is but the average person cannot afford to play in some cases, they are spending their money elsewhere.

I do not care about involvement as long as the products as solid. Sometimes I wonder when I see all the outreach, etc. if that company might not be spending too much time on the publicity side and not enough on the R&D and quality control.

Yes and No, let me explain

I like to see the involvement because from a business aspect it makes sense. Keep your name and products out there in the public eye. I love the testing and feedback done through THP. What THP brings to the table is amazing, very informative and useful to the golf industry as a whole and I truly love being part of that.

No because I'm not an emotional buyer. I'm very methodical about what I buy and don't do it because I have seen adds or tons of info on it. For me it what fits my game and budget at the time.

Couldn't care less. Not a fan of all the Social media crap to be brutally honest. I'd rather you save the $$ you put out for that and make a slightly less expensive product. Although we know that won't happen...

Back