Mizuno MP-54 Preview

Great thoughts so far Hawk. Do you find these to dig more than other clubs in this catagory I always think that with a mizuno iron being so upright I may dig myself to china. From you experience is the distance more or less than other irons you have tested from the same catagory.

Thanks.

I can't say that I do. Here's the thing though - I'm not a big divot taker. A had to steepen up a few times and was actually surprised to see I did take a small divot. Even those two heavy shots I noted were shallower than many that I see from other playing partners. I'll see what I can do to get some info on that.

In terms of lie angle, these are actually flatter than the 588 CB's and a bit flatter/shorter than the V2's. Conveniently, the CB's were flattened out for me to right about the specs that the 54's are at the moment. The CB's were also bent 2° strong.

I can't give you an answer on distance that has much substance yet. I will take all three out to the range here eventually, or just hit them on the monitor. Based on what I'd normally see on the LM, they were a little shorter than the CB's and a little longer than the V2's. I have PX 5's in the V2 at the moment and I really hit those things high and not that far.

I would think that my beloved Nippons would be a little problematic with these heads.

What makes you say that? They are actually offered as an optional shaft. I have the 1150GH in mine and love them.

What makes you say that? They are actually offered as an optional shaft. I have the 1150GH in mine and love them.

I love my Nippons. But they are a high launching shaft which I like. But if these heads already launch that high, I may get some balloons. I would have to see some launch numbers though.

I wouldn't get terribly hung up on that issue guys. We're talking a degree or two, and I was seeing pretty low spin in the low/mid irons. How that would translate on the individual level to others could be entirely different. Give me a little time to see how it shakes.

I wouldn't get terribly hung up on that issue guys. We're talking a degree or two, and I was seeing pretty low spin in the low/mid irons. How that would translate on the individual level to others could be entirely different. Give me a little time to see how it shakes.

Oh no problem hawk. My Nippon hang up is a shaft issue for me personally. You know I have a pretty high ball flight. If it hit my irons any higher, I would knock a NASA satellite out of space.

This is true. You and the Shandyman both hit them way up there. I'm not getting anything like that, but was right in that 90-ish foot range. Depending on the iron type or brand I can get a little more than that, but that's pretty typical for me.

FWIW, I haven't seen much difference in ball flight vs the recoil shafts that I have in my JPX800 pros.

Nice initial testing Hawk. These things sure are lookers. I like how you touched on the sound of them. Do you think of of the distance loss in the lower irons could be due to the weather conditions? Did you get any of those shots that produced any stingers in your hands?

Could be temps or maybe even wind, but I did notice it on the Vector too and that was a controlled environment. I'm not really surprised or worried about it though. The irons I had prior are made with distance in mind and these aren't neccessarily the iron in Mizuno's stable that are made for that.

Could be temps or maybe even wind, but I did notice it on the Vector too and that was a controlled environment. I'm not really surprised or worried about it though. The irons I had prior are made with distance in mind and these aren't neccessarily the iron in Mizuno's stable that are made for that.

Without a doubt, different target than the speedbladez. Is there any noticeable sound difference between the low and scoring irons? How did that shiny finish look in the sun?

None at all that I noticed and it was something I was trying to keep an eye on. I'll keep that in mind going forward too to make sure I agree with myself in two weeks. Not the easiest to see in the pics I posted, but the finish on the face carries over on the topline, so no glare issues. The only set that I've had that didn't do that was the V2's and it was occasionally a shock to the eyeballs.

Forgot to answer your stinger question, but yes. When it was really freaking cold on Saturday I caught a thin and it left me tingling.

Don't do that. Those aren't fun.

This is true. You and the Shandyman both hit them way up there. I'm not getting anything like that, but was right in that 90-ish foot range. Depending on the iron type or brand I can get a little more than that, but that's pretty typical for me.

I do that with DG S300s in my MP 58s, FWIW.

Really interested in swinging the 54s. The mid and long irons looks like they are set up to be more forgiving than my MPs.

Thank god I only did it once. That's not an uncommon miss for me before I get warmed up.

I do that with DG S300s in my MP 58s, FWIW.

Really interested in swinging the 54s. The mid and long irons looks like they are set up to be more forgiving than my MPs.

Definitely some perimeter weighting there in the 3-7 that the 58's don't have.

These look outstanding. I can't deny that Mizuno makes a great iron. Looking forward to hearing what you think of these, Hawk. If I had the opportunity to buy these irons, I would give them a good hard look.

I asked this of Mr. Man in the S55 threaded, I will ask it here:

How consistent is the sound/feel through the set? On my VR Pro Combos, the pocket cavity irons give a very different sensation than the rest of the set, especially the blades. Is everything consistent with the MP54s?

I've had the Pro Combos in mind since I opened the box and the sound in the Pocket Cavs was one thing that I remembered very well. No, I didn't notice any appreciable difference in sound between the different irons. Don't hold me to that though. May need a little more time to give a final answer.

Hawk great review so far. I'm a 12-16 handicap and have been playing the MP53 for about 3 months and was really worried that I was out of my league with these clubs. You got to love how playing partners will get in your head. I can honestly say that these are not as hard to hit as a lot of you guys think. Just like the clevland altitudes, we need not have preconceived thoughts. Oh by the way Hawk, I know its cold and windy where you are if need be send me the irons and I will be more than happy to test these for you untill it warms up. :-D

swing your swing

Great info!
Very first post. I have been scouring the net for anything MP54 related. I've hit the 6 iron at the range hundreds of times. LOVE it. Will be ordering soon. Last decision is whether or not to order 1 degree strong to bridge the gap with my current irons loft wise. Currently playing R11 irons. Playing off a 9 at the moment. Not a long hitter so a little worried about losing distance. The MP54 6 iron plays pretty close to my current distance on pure strikes (maybe a few yards shorter).

**My paranoia is that I usually take a healthy divot. Definitely more of a digger than a sweeper. In terms of turf interaction, do you think I will notice losing 1 degree of bounce if I strengthen the 54s?

Thanks.

Hawk great review so far. I'm a 12-16 handicap and have been playing the MP53 for about 3 months and was really worried that I was out of my league with these clubs. You got to love how playing partners will get in your head. I can honestly say that these are not as hard to hit as a lot of you guys think. Just like the clevland altitudes, we need not have preconceived thoughts. Oh by the way Hawk, I know its cold and windy where you are if need be send me the irons and I will be more than happy to test these for you untill it warms up. :-D

swing your swing

Thanks! There will be positives and negatives with both types of sets for sure. Still, they are easy enough to whack the ball with imo.

Great info!
Very first post. I have been scouring the net for anything MP54 related. I've hit the 6 iron at the range hundreds of times. LOVE it. Will be ordering soon. Last decision is whether or not to order 1 degree strong to bridge the gap with my current irons loft wise. Currently playing R11 irons. Playing off a 9 at the moment. Not a long hitter so a little worried about losing distance. The MP54 6 iron plays pretty close to my current distance on pure strikes (maybe a few yards shorter).

**My paranoia is that I usually take a healthy divot. Definitely more of a digger than a sweeper. In terms of turf interaction, do you think I will notice losing 1 degree of bounce if I strengthen the 54s?

Thanks.

Welcome to THP! I don't think 1° is going to make a big difference in either regard. I had a set of 588 CB's, which have a thinner sole than these, and bent them 2° strong. Never saw an issue with them. This is coming from a guy that doesn't take big divots though.

Thanks. Just want to make sure I get this right! My gut tells me to go with the manufacturer's specs, but I know that tons of guys bend irons a bit stronger so it shouldn't be a big issue, ...... Mainly a mental thing either way....

Forgot to answer your stinger question, but yes. When it was really freaking cold on Saturday I caught a thin and it left me tingling.

Come on guys, a little Mizuno nip now and then helps to make you a better player.:D

Hawk,
Being a "combo" set I was curious if you notice a logical progression of distances and corresponding ball flights or is there a noticable change (higher/lower) at the transition irons?

I'm glad that you haven't noticed a huge difference in sound between the CB's and the MB's in the set.

Come on guys, a little Mizuno nip now and then helps to make you a better player.:D

Hawk,
Being a "combo" set I was curious if you notice a logical progression of distances and corresponding ball flights or is there a noticable change (higher/lower) at the transition irons?

I'm glad that you haven't noticed a huge difference in sound between the CB's and the MB's in the set.

Like sticking my finger in a light socket :bulgy-eyes:

I can appreciate those stingers. I screwed up and swing bad/get bad. I would prefer the results to not be too punitive. I feel like these would sting, but still be acceptable.

Like sticking my finger in a light socket :bulgy-eyes:

I can appreciate those stingers. I screwed up and swing bad/get bad. I would prefer the results to not be too punitive. I feel like these would sting, but still be acceptable.
It just builds character Blu. Well, that and reminds you not to do it again.:wink:

Outside of the occasional "nip" I don't find my MP-67s to be punitive at all even though they have a bit less cavity than these irons. Honestly these MP-54s look like they would be really forgiving and anyone that has a decent swing shouldn't have any trouble "stepping up" per Mizuno's ad to these irons.

I'm looking forward to more thoughts from Hawk, RoundersRob, and anyone else that has some course time with these.

Back