Mizuno MP-54 Preview

Gorgeous irons - I look forward to the spring when the big outdoor demo day comes to town, when I can try these with the C-Taper Lites. If Mizzy would make the H4's in LH (for my 4 & 5 irons), they'd be selling this guy a new combo set.

I wish Mizuno could find a lefty version of Spieth or Horschel to sign, then perhaps they'd show us southpaws some love. It stinks when you don't have a chance to hit the MP-64, H4, 4, or the JPX-EZ Forged.

Went and hit these today and for me they are more beauty than performance. Nothing wrong with them but compared to a couple of others I was swinging they were about 1/2 to a full club shorter for me. They are also thicker than I had thought they would be. For me I also preferred the feel of a couple of others as well. Nice club just not what I'm looking for and it's a little unfortunate as I was expecting to love them.

That seems to be the consensus.

Hit the 54 with KBS Tour-s against the i20 with stock stiff at the range today into a 1 club wind. Hit the 54 straighter and on average a few yards further. Mizuno also wins in terms of feel and by a landslide in terms of looks. Just my opinion :)

Mr. Crossfield just compared these to Nike Pro Combos and they launched a tad lower and went a tad further. Maybe they fall in line with clubs in the same category? Idk, take it for what it's worth:

y6yqajyj.jpg

What it's worth to me, not much. Crossfield is a Mizuno staffer isn't he?

All I can go off of his what I have seen on an instore simulator.

Mr. Crossfield just compared these to Nike Pro Combos and they launched a tad lower and went a tad further. Maybe they fall in line with clubs in the same category? Idk, take it for what it's worth:

y6yqajyj.jpg

Don't have any Pro Combos to hit against them, though I have others in their class, but I haven't seen a (club for club) higher launching iron on the Vector X this year. Not overly spinny for me, which is good.

I am very interested in seeing what you think about the mp54 vs the AP1. Are these two comparable? Those new ap1 & 2's look sweet. I'm a mizzy homer, but damn those titlist look nice!

swing your swing

I hit all 3 of those and some others at GG last night. All 3 were very nice. All 6 irons and my SS runs 78-82 with a 6.

I hit the 54s and the AP2s in the 160-170 range. The AP2s were a few yards longer. Both were soft with the AP2s feeling a little softer to me. Not by much though. The AP2s felt more solid. I Prefer the 59s and even 69s to the 54s solely on feel. The 54s just didn't seem as solid and were a few yards shorter.

The AP1s were the longest, exceeding 175 on most swings. Maintained the most distance on mishits as expected.

All three were fairly straight. I must have been swinging well, only a few shots were significantly off center and they were clearly my fault.

Wish I had the charts. I'm in the store a lot, so they don't care if I stay on the LM for awhile, but they don't like me playing with the PC :)

Impressions from an avg golfer. I thought both Titleists were superior to their 712 versions in length and forgiveness. The 54 would be at the bottom of Mizunos list for me. I like Mizunos, but these weren't my favorite Mizuno.

FWIW, I hit the new Adams Ideas too and they were 15+ yards further than these three. Was really impressed with them.

I am very interested in seeing what you think about the mp54 vs the AP1. Are these two comparable? Those new ap1 & 2's look sweet. I'm a mizzy homer, but damn those titlist look nice!

swing your swing

Hate to put it this way, but they aren't really in the same ballpark.

To put it in perspective - the MP54 3 iron and the AP1 5 iron both gave me the same ball speed and carry numbers on the monitor. To me, they feel different at impact - probably would give the edge to the 54's there, but the AP1's are very nice as well.

Ya. AP1s are in a totally different ballpark. I am surprised that the honeymoon over the 54s seems to have dwindled. I really love them. Still waiting to hit the 714 AP2s before purchasing. In the meantime I bought some used i20s with the stock stiff CFS shafts. Hit them really well. Similar distance to the 54s for me, but minus the buttery feel. The Pings feel super solid, but not soft like the 54s. Thought the Pings would be great for the soggy conditions we get in our area, due to their high bounce. I am a bit worried about the minimal bounce on the Mizunos since I tend to take Sergio like divots :) The 54s will be my Spring/Summer clubs!

What's wrong with big divots? As long as they're after the ball it doesn't matter

Agreed! Haven't played a set with such thin soles and low bounce. Feel great on the mats but won't get a chance to hit on grass before buying.
just a little afraid of the unknown.....

Last edited:
Agreed! Haven't played a set with such thin soles and low bounce. Feel great on the mats but can't hit on grass :(
just a little afraid of the unknown.....

I think the turf interaction is great! Cuts through effortlessly

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Great to know. Thanks!

Hawk, really I know your busy with all the testing. Send me the 54's, and I will pm you my results. I'm sure no one would notice. :-D. Damn titlist.

swing your swing

Back