When Do You Change Clubs?

The last change for me was early in the season (first couple weeks) and that was a couple years ago. Before that it had been 10+ years! The only exception was my driver and putter, which have changed at random times, based on how I was hitting each.

Did a little email survey and the results were interesting, so I want to ask THPers the same question. When do you change clubs?

Before the season starts (early in the year for those with no offseason)
After the season
Anytime something new comes out that you like

Is there a certain time of year that you think you often make changes?

I do it very early in the season and I never let the old ones go until the new ones get the job done. Takes me a month or so of demoing clubs on the course before I buy.

If I see something that I like and I play well with it then I will consider buying it but I usually only buy around fathers day or just after if its for something of the current model year since big price cuts seem to happen then. I will also add it seems like in the past 3 years when every I buy something it causes a chain reaction because I try to maintain my distance intervals so when I get something I hit further I end up getting other clubs to make my set have the correct intervals for me. For this reason I need to get a hybrid this year lol. The only exception to this is Driver and Putter of course.

Typically spring time before season starts

About a month into the spring season.

~Rock

Usually in the Spring, right before the season starts here in the East. I've tried to change my irons the last two seasons, but every time I go for a fitting, I find the irons I currently use perform just as good as the ones I'm wanting to purchase! I have switched drivers a few times though in the past 5 years.

I change gear in Nov/Dec and in Apr/May.

In Nov/Dec I buy whatever it is from that year that I wanted but never bought at a large discount.
In Apr/May I finalize my bag and and replace whatever isn't quite working or whatever I'm just plain tired of.

I haven't bought a ton of equipment but I switched irons the first time mod season played them for 2 1/2 yrs switched irons and drivers this early spring so I could adjust before the season started. I expect to change irons this winter/spring.

Any time I get a good deal on a club, I normally jump on it. Probably why I've played 5 drivers, 10 iron sets, I've lost track of fairway woods, 9 wedge sets, and 10+ putters in the last 2 seasons.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I am in impulse buyer. Some days I don't have any intention of buying new golf gear...like last friday...and then next thing I know I have spent 3 hours researching the equipment and then pulled the trigger like I did with the Mizuno irons. But it does seem like I buy more equipment in the fall then I do in the spring.

I change clubs when I feel the technology has made a significant amount of improvement over the clubs I am gaming at the time.
The amount of improvement would have to take a few strokes off my score, not just one or two.
That being said, it also should coincide with my birthday. . . November, 16th.. . . helps justify the expenditure. :cake:

I don't really have a time that I change. I went 5 years without changing anything.
And then in the last 3 years I have had 4 sets of irons and like 6 drivers...

I've picked up individual clubs here and there on whims, but been holding out on changing my irons to do it between seasons. My major changes have come on a need basis based on equipment failing though.

Whenever my wife lets me, and quickly, before she changes her mind.

Irons and wedges I can change anytime, I stay very close to the same style and look. Woods are a tough one, I'll change as soon as I find something I feel will work better but they take a bit more work to get familiar with, off season on those.

In the offseason
1. Most new equipment comes out between October and February so I can compare the newest lines and last years model.
2. If I like last years model I can get a good deal on them.
3. Buying in the offseason will give me a chance to hit the range with them and start the season comfortable and ready to go.

That's the same as I do(full set irons anyway). With a few months off season it gives you time to get familiar with your new set up before you get it out on the course. I think it breeds a little confidence in the clubs by the time you get there.

Wedges, putters and the rest can change anytime....

Far to regularly when you become a member here.

I have many golf sticks already. I change golf sticks only when I feel bored with my normal / regular sticks. Maybe twice a year occurances.

Sometimes, I don't even change clubs after I've changed clubs.

Don't you think I have newer stuff than what you see below?

Back