When Do You Change Clubs?

No set time to change clubs for me. It is on an as needed and can afford basis.

Anytime. For obvious reasons I change more than most do, but even prior to reviewing here I would change clubs on a whim, I absolutely love shiny things and feel like I can play most anything so changes don't freak me out too much.

Anytime something new comes out and I have extra spending money.

I've never switched very frequently. It was easier to do with my personal use discount from Callaway but even then I didn't switch often. Some tech can only help so much and when I find something that feels good it's hard to get me to "upgrade" simply because it's the new line.

Id say at the end of the season. Give me a little time to adapt to new clubs. Ive only ever been really attached to my irons. Fairway woods, drivers, wedges ill replace in a minute if I like the way something feels or looks better than what I have. I have a ping staff bag FULL of putters wedges woods and a few drivers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I really only switch when I find something that I think will improve my game. I try out all of the new equipment but if it can't perform better than what I've got I won't buy it. I would say that my "itch" to buy new equipment usually shows up around early April for some reason.

Much of the decision to change is driven by what shows up in the new product lines. If it looks like a good match for my game, I'll keep an eye on the review threads, try hitting them in a simulator (although that is really difficult for me, for some reason, so I'm just looking for some very basic idea of how the clubs feel when I swing them), and then pull the trigger on purchasing them. If they go on sale, that makes it easier to pull the trigger. So, basically it can happen at any time of year, but more likely when the end of season discounts happen.
At the moment, I'm trying to restrain myself spending wise, so I may have to spend another year keeping an eye on what THPers say about what interests me.

Anytime. I always have certain clubs on my mind that Id upgrade to if I come across a deal and if I happen to find a deal on Ebay or at a local golf shop, I jump on it.

Opportunity and need. Often I'll have my eye on something, but until a deal presents itself I won't make the change.
If I'm not feeling constrained, I'll change early in, but not the start of, the season. Give myself a chance to get the swing back before deciding something works better for me.

The 100% honest answer is whenever I can afford it. More to your question, I prefer to get new stuff over the winter so that I can practice with the new stuff in the early spring when the range is open but not the course. I don't like fiddling with my equipment except during the early season when I'm trying to remember how to swing a club anyway.

I change clubs usually around Christmas or my birthday, when I can justify some splurging. And even then, it will most likely be on last year's model that has been replaced with this year's new model.

I am new to golf, but the weather where I live makes it a year round activity. I see myself upgrading my irons next year once I get my swing grooved a little better. After that, I can see myself changing clubs every year or two.

I change whenever the mood hits me, mostly after I'm playing bad and blame it on my equipment. :)

As often as I need to to achieve a "perfect" set for me. I began golfing in April and wanted to get a decent bag going so I bought everything used and older models because the price was affordable. Now as I am getting better I want better gear. I have upgraded some parts of my bag to newer clubs and looking to upgrade the irons my next season.

For me:
Anytime something new comes out that you like

And timing seems to be across the board, so for me I don't think it matters for time of year.

For me its not a seasonal thing, its based on want/need at any particular time. Being a THPer definitely doesn't help because I'm always aware of every single worthwhile club that is coming out as it happens. My self control is tested daily.

Usually end of summer /beginning of fall, after tourneys but before winter. That is if there are ever any in my price range

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I get an idea of what I would like in my bag, most the time it's more want than actual need, then watch for deals to pop up for the specific equipment. I haven't paid retail for any of the clubs in my bag and I purchased all in new condition. I have saved many many $$'s doing it this way.

I change them anytime really. Although when I do find clubs that mesh well I don't change them for the new shiny releases.

I always switch when I find something that benefits my game and is cost effective to me.

I change irons when ever something comes along that peaks my interest. I usually do it after I have read a lot of great reviews and something used comes along at a great price that I know I can resell them at if they don't work.

Anytime. Granted, I have been playing the same sticks, except for my driver and 3w, for many years now. If I were to chose, I'd choose that time when the new stuff comes out as it is just incrementally better than the previous year's stuff that goes on sale.

Anytime I see something that I want/like I'll try it out. If it ends up working out, it stays, if not it goes. Only thing I'm not quick to bag is different irons for some reason. Won't get a new set until I've gone through a fitting with someone I trust.

Whenever something new comes out I like OR whenever I develop a new swing flaw that will obviously be fixed with new clubs (not).

For me its not a seasonal thing, its based on want/need at any particular time. Being a THPer definitely doesn't help because I'm always aware of every single worthwhile club that is coming out as it happens. My self control is tested daily.

Amen brother - stupid website! :D

BTW - might be playing White Clay Creek November 2nd if you are so inclined Brett!

Back