What part of golf do you dislike?

Courses up here are switching to "Cart Paths Only" already and all I can do is groan. I never take a cart but pace of play just takes such a hard hit when this happens.

Sometimes paths only is slower than walking. And don't get me started on the guy that parks, walks to other side of the fairway with one club then walks back to the cart to get another club then hits the ball 20 yards, or the guy that is 300 yards off the green after is 190 yard drive and waits for the green to clear then 5 shots later is still not in the green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'll add my thoughts to the list...

5+ players in a group
Golfers who play in flip flops
Groups that won't let a solo golfer play through (even when I...uh...I mean, he hits into them as a warning shot)
Winter off-season
A solo walker when there is an open seat in a cart and that group is the bottleneck slowing down everyone behind them
Angry golfers
3 putts
The shanks

Serious question I keep seeing posts about letting a single through, are you talking about a slow day in the course when there room? My thoughts are if you go out as a single and the course is crowded you should NOT expect to play through if everyone is right on pace?

I will go out as a single on a weekday afternoon at times and my solution is I will just skip a hole if course is open and try to catch it on the way back.
Am I in the minority here?

P.S. I have let many singles through so I am not trying to sound like an a hole I just think common sense from all parties needs to be used on this.

I really wish more courses allowed walking. It's the only real time a fat guy like me is going to use his legs for more than walking to get my breakfast burrito.

I really wish more courses allowed walking. It's the only real time a fat guy like me is going to use his legs for more than walking to get my breakfast burrito.

Lol roomie.

I dislike the private club vs public course stigma. There's a few guys at my home course that belong to a very nice private club about 15 mins away from my home course, but they still play LeRoy CC (Home Course) on the weekends. These said golfers aren't great, but whenever they're around all they complain about is how bad the condition of LeRoy is. It drives me nuts! Do they honestly think that if everyone at LeRoy could afford to a member at their private club they wouldn't be? Of course they would. Just because you're fortunate enough to be able to afford to be a member at a private club (not saying these individuals or anyone that belongs to a private club didn't work hard in their life to be able to afford it, because I'm sure they did) doesn't mean you have to put down everything at a public course. I work damn hard to be able to afford my membership at my public course, and no it's not perfect BUT I still appreciate the fact that I can show up whenever and start playing on a public course that is A LOT nicer than what A LOT of golfers call their home course.

Totally agree with that! We have a bunch of that in the Chicago area....

images

Perfectly communicated there!

My main point of frustration with golf really is about lack of my own time to play. I'd play a lot more if I could. I don't think this is the same as the slow-play issue (though waiting on the tee for 20 minutes really sucks). It's just hard to take a 4-5 hour chunk of time out of my day to do anything that doesn't overlap with competing work- or kid-related commitments.

IMO golf really isn't a hobby that dovetails well with having both a full-time job and kids... so I force in time to practice and play but it's always in bits and pieces. I have scores recorded from 24 rounds this calendar year and all but two of them -- both THP invitationals -- were 9 holes, either league play or on the par-29 course near my home, which (thankfully) is walkable in about 90 minutes.

... I suppose if I played more then my list would look more like JB's. :)

Ken

I dunno. My courses really aren't that slow around here. Courses aren't too expensive. I never feel cheated. Grounds are usually in good shape. Good people own and operate the courses.

The only thing I can really complain about is that the season is so short up here that new gear hardly pays for itself. But that's what I get for living in a place with 4 seasons.

I also dislike how far I live from a lot of awesome THPers.

Come on down a couple hours and you've got some THPers on the Wis-Ill border :)

I dislike the cost. Would love to play a lot more but affording that is rough. I dislike waiting on the group in front when there's a hole plus in front of them wide open. I dislike the infrequency of which they send the cart girls out around here.

It's all about time for me. Not because I dislike being out there that long. I love being out there and want to enjoy every minute. But with the time it takes to drive there, warmup, play for 4+ hours and then drive home, a round can take 6 hours away from the house. That can lead to tension at home depending on what's going on. When I go out to play, I want to be thinking about how much fun I'm having, not about how quickly I need to get home.

Cost.
Slow Play
Over Serious Guy
Not Serious Enough Guy
Rangers that Dont Enforce
Rangers that think they are judge jury and executioner
The USGA
The R&A
The PGA of America acting like the mafia
Private Clubs employees that forget why they are there.
Public course goers that think they deserve a red carpet under their feet.
Have I mentioned slow play?

I could be here all day. There are a lot of things about this game that I would love to see changed.

This!!

Slow play, slow play, slow play.

Slow greens

Courses that don't police slow play

The lack of proactive behavior by the USGA. They are reactive with everything

I don't mind paying a premium to play but at least let the product fit the cost

Slow play for sure! I'm happy to play with the best and worst as long as a decent pace it maintained and everyone is having fun.

Cost.
Slow Play
Over Serious Guy
Not Serious Enough Guy
Rangers that Dont Enforce
Rangers that think they are judge jury and executioner
The USGA
The R&A
The PGA of America acting like the mafia
Private Clubs employees that forget why they are there.
Public course goers that think they deserve a red carpet under their feet.
Have I mentioned slow play?

I could be here all day. There are a lot of things about this game that I would love to see changed.

pretty much this, in relaxed rounds, but in tournaments (which I participate in every week) some of these are acceptable

The elitist snobs. Although I love how friendly some strangers can be!

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the amount of time we THPers spend debating over new clubs, used clubs, and just what to put in our bag weather we need it or not thanks to all the great knowledge and reviews on this site. Although, that is part of the fun of golf too.

For me it's drunks out on the course. Having a beer or two is one thing, but getting trashed out on the course is not cool.

CSP11786A.jpg

Last edited:
For me it's drunks out on the course. Having a beer or two is one thing, but getting trashed out on the course is not cool.

Yup and they are usually playing slow too.
The other one is the embarrassed to yell Fore guy.
Last but not least are lazy slobs that cant find the garbage can, fix ball marks on greens, believe they can drive their cart anywhere where they can save a step, and generally believe everyone else is there to clean up after them. Strangely enough a lot of these guys are hitting 100 yard drives off the back tees and waiting for the par 5 green to clear from 230 yards out, so they can hit a weak little 100 yard slice into the trees.

It's all about time for me. Not because I dislike being out there that long. I love being out there and want to enjoy every minute. But with the time it takes to drive there, warmup, play for 4+ hours and then drive home, a round can take 6 hours away from the house. That can lead to tension at home depending on what's going on. When I go out to play, I want to be thinking about how much fun I'm having, not about how quickly I need to get home.

Wow, you said it way better than I did. :)

Slow play pisses me off no end but even worse than slow play is FAST play. I'm out for a nice walk and to have a good time, not try and set a new record for the half marathon!

Agree with JB. Mostly for me it's a time thing. Wish it didn't take so long to play.

Slow play, slow play, slow play.

Slow greens

Courses that don't police slow play

The lack of proactive behavior by the USGA. They are reactive with everything

I don't mind paying a premium to play but at least let the product fit the cost

This pretty much nails it for me, slow play, slow greens, those two will cause me to never go back to a course.

I cant say slow play pisses me off. Guess learning ro play gold on military bases and playing with retired soldiers has made me numb to that. I mean how can u get mad at some guys who fought it wars and are trying ti enjoy a saturday and sunday afternoon.. I also am very blessed and have a girlfriend and lil man( her 7byr old son) who play with me everyround...well lil man chips and putts) so im not missing ajy time at home... with all that being said I am perturbed at the following:
Getting hit into

People wanting to play through when theres nowhere to go

The swing pro guy who wants to give u tips over and over when u didnt ask for a single ine of them

People who cheat. Now I understand that peoole play their money and if its not in a tournament it really doesnt matter. But im going to smack the next person who wants the tee box after a "forgetting" 1-3 strokes during the hole.

People who absolutely dont know and refuse to learn etiquette... dont need to know bi laws and subsidiary sections...but please learn some courtesy. .

My last for the day would have to be course repair. I worked at a golf course for about 4 years and "the other guy" inside me ( hulk reference?) Comes out when people drag the flagstick on the green, dont rake bunkers,
Dont fix divots, practice chipping on tea boxes..I could go on..

Okay one more...people who hit your ball because they dint want to drop and pretend like nothing happened..grrrrr

Okay.. I feel better know..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The time commitment & slow play. I may be the one guy on the planet who can play as fast as JB lol, and I really have a hard time understanding why it takes over 4 hours to play. Get to your ball, and if no one is in the way, hit it! The ball goes into a marsh with 4' high cattails, you ain't gonna find it, and if you did, what exactly are you going to do with it?
And I hate 4.5 -5 hours of golf, followed by a 1/2 ride to and from the course - at least. And the cost could be lower - especially at some courses where the conditions don't come close to the $$ you pay! Those courses get crossed off my play list real quick.

Back