What part of golf do you dislike?

Slow play. Most other things in golf are enjoyable...slow play never is.

I would agree with pace of play. I used to not care so much about pace of play, because usually I was just out to have a good time, drink a few brews with friends. This year though, everytime the pace got slow, I end up getting a little stiff, and lose my rhythm in my golf swing.

The other thing I dislike about golf is when I'm gearing up for an outing or tournament, the extra rounds of practice I put in tend to feel like a grind rather than fun.

~Rock

Lots of weiner measuring contests in golf and I'm not a fan of that.
Slow play stinks.
The time commitment can be challenging.

Lots of weiner measuring contests in golf and I'm not a fan of that.
Slow play stinks.
The time commitment can be challenging.

Wtf......

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Cost is the main issue for me. Time, in general, isn't so much. Slow play can be annoying if you're playing well and want to keep the streak going, but at the same time, I find that if the round is going bad, and we're playing slow, I may find something in my swing that's off while I'm waiting to hit my next shot.

If green fees and, even more so, equipment, didn't cost so much, I would probably be able to play more. If I want to get a new club, say, a fairway wood, then that's two or three rounds that I sacrifice playing, which is why my irons and my 3 wood are 10+ years old.

Etiquette is another one. I play with my brothers a couple times a year, and that is usually all the golf they will play. I have spent hours and hours on the golf course over the years trying to explain good etiquette to them. I think it's finally starting to settle in with one.

Also, the random guy who offers swing tips on the tee box. "Wanna know why your shots are doing this?" Not really, since yours are doing the same thing.

Definitely cost for me is number 1. I miss the reciprocal rounds I used to get around the city...

Also, the random guy who offers swing tips on the tee box. "Wanna know why your shots are doing this?" Not really, since yours are doing the same thing.

Fine...no more swing tips for you!

One of my friends drives me nuts because he never lets anyone play through. One time there were 4 of us on foot with a twosome in cart behind us. Every time I said they should play through he said "but there's groups behind them; we'd have to let them all play through."
Of course I then start trying to speed up to help the guys behind us, which starts messing up my game...

I have to make extra long stops at the clubhouse after 9 to give those guys time to play through lol.

Nice to see another slow play thread!

I dislike the end of the season the most. First because it means winter is coming, and second because it means Jacqui is working a lot less.

I would play golf in under 2 hours if I could but that's just not possible with people on the course that take 5 minutes to line up putts, stand over their ball to hit another 4 minutes, look for their lost balls for another 10 minutes, hit 5 balls of every tee box and take another 10 minutes to walk from the green back to their carts.

Just not possible.

Where I play there is a small group of women who play 18 holes in about two hours. All are single digit handicappers. And all keep the ball in the fairway and have great short games.

I got to play with one of them on day and asked how do they all play quickly. She stated that they all took the "test" and all were able to speed up their play without rushing. I asked what is that test? She stated that everyone thinks they play fast until they take the "test". I asked how do you take the test? She said go out when the course is empty and play four balls on nine holes and time yourself. You will quickly see where you can improve. Everyone has both fast and slow techniques. And if your total game is not as efficient as you could be you will see it and you will be able to improve it before you finish the nine holes.

Man, I think that would take a while, even for me as a pretty quick player. I can do 2.5-3 hrs solo walking, but all the zig-zagging with four balls would be a lot more walking. One great way I've seen is to watch some video of you playing with your friends. The camera/clock doesn't lie.

Man, I think that would take a while, even for me as a pretty quick player. I can do 2.5-3 hrs solo walking, but all the zig-zagging with four balls would be a lot more walking. One great way I've seen is to watch some video of you playing with your friends. The camera/clock doesn't lie.

Zig zagging you hit them straight everytime though hawk.

Zig zagging you hit them straight everytime though hawk.

I was putting myself in your shoes :p

LMAO You started it!

I'll echo the slow play mantra going around. Cost can of course be an issue for me, too. I saw Hawk mention "wiener measuring" guy...I see that a lot. I'm not a big guy, and I've done my fair share of that, but I've grown up from that. If you want to tell me how long you are off the box, don't give me the whole "I caught it off the toe" line each time you don't hit it 300 + off the tee, ok? lol
The guy who thinks drinking and driving the golf cart like a Nascar is the cool thing to do. I'm here to play golf, not watch you skid to a loud stop at each tee box.
Unless were are playing for some serious cash, or your putting for an Eagle...you don't need to read the green of 4 different angles....slow play sucks!

LMAO You started it!

I know just wanted to let everyone know you hit the balls straight

T The odd clown has come across my path and told me I shouldn't tuck my shirt in if I can't shoot 69 but I just ignore those kinds of people.

I think you've found the perfect word to describe that odd person.

Unfixed pitch marks

USGA

R&A

Unready golf

Unlevel tee boxes

The minimal price difference between 9 & 18

The cost of apparel

People unaware of where they are on the course in regards to adjacent holes and those playing them

But none of this is bad enough to keep me off the course.

Smokers that drop their butts
Sunflower seed eaters spitting the shells on the green
Slow play
Balls in the fairway in a divot (no free relief)
Not getting told about the greens having just been aerated when making a tee time
Beer cart prices
Uneven tee boxes (especially on the ladies or forward tees)

I don't know if I would call it slow play or bad play or just lack of consideration, but I happen to play a lot of rounds right behind this group of 3-4 guys who are absolutely horrible, and they walk. They will all be in the woods looking for their ball, and worse, the one guy who is in play refuses to play if he is closer while these other guys are off in no mans land, me standing on the tee box for 5 minutes plus while all this is going on. Not once have they let me play through. I've often walked right through them as they are playing because they've ruined any chance of me finishing up before it gets dark.

It's usually weekday afternoons but lately I've come across them on weekends, in carts even, and they are just as bad.

I'm not one to complain or call people out so I haven't said anything to the pro shop but I've thought about it, only with these yahoos

Smokers that drop their butts
Sunflower seed eaters spitting the shells on the green

Hate that!! Selfish, self-absorbed DB.

* golf is pricey. not a fan of that.

* losing golf balls. why do I always lose the good ones? when I hit a water ball it stays right in the fairway. pull out a good ball and off it goes to visit the woods or water.

* coaching by my playing buddies - yes, I'm terrible. no, I can't fix it right now on the fourth tee box. can we talk after on the range?

* the fact that I can't put a Tigger (yes, the tiger from Winnie the Pooh and my favorite Dis character) head cover on my driver without people thinking I'm trying to mimic Tiger Woods. um, never in a million years.

* sand - I meet the guy who invented the sand trap and we're going to have a talk on the spot. why not barbed wire? how about land mines? guard dogs around the cup? you want to put those on the course too? I'd probably do better with barbed wire... ("Hey, hand me wire cutters and my pitching wedge").

I don't know if I would call it slow play or bad play or just lack of consideration, but I happen to play a lot of rounds right behind this group of 3-4 guys who are absolutely horrible, and they walk. They will all be in the woods looking for their ball, and worse, the one guy who is in play refuses to play if he is closer while these other guys are off in no mans land, me standing on the tee box for 5 minutes plus while all this is going on. Not once have they let me play through. I've often walked right through them as they are playing because they've ruined any chance of me finishing up before it gets dark.

It's usually weekday afternoons but lately I've come across them on weekends, in carts even, and they are just as bad.

I'm not one to complain or call people out so I haven't said anything to the pro shop but I've thought about it, only with these yahoos

This drives me nuts when people do this. If I'm on my own, let me play through, it's a couple of minutes.

Back