PING s55 Iron - Review Thread

So they arrived today in a nice brown box. Delivery guy was nice enough to leave them stuffed in my front door since it was
supposed to rain/snow. Luckily, neither happened! Of course I was a bit giddy. Grabbed the box and ran right over to my parents
house to give my dad a show. He was impressed by the look of the irons, but joked that even with the small head I should still
swing hard in case I get the club face on it.

Anyway....A bit of background on me since I'm fairly new to the forums and it may help with some of the things I say or mention. I've been golfing since I was 13 years old. I have played in HS and college. I was down to a 1.1 index at one point and then had two nasty car wrecks in a matter of 2 years. Dealt with back problems for a while, and still do (mostly soreness), but luckily deal with it by exercising, stretching and the monthly chiro visit...More than the average bear.

I averaged about 5 rounds a year for three years because I am a feel player and couldn't ever get comfortable over the ball due to the back issues. I developed a Charles Barkley like swing trying to get back (I'm not kidding) and the frustration hit me pretty hard. A couple years ago I got back into the game full time and really started working hard on the range (one of my favorite things to do) and on the course. This year I've been working on my game more than you can imagine, but lucky enough to work a few hours a week at a local range to cut down on the practice costs. I play weekly as long as there is no snow, and the temps are above 25 degrees. I tend to keep my clubs for a while because I'm not a big fan of change or spending large amounts of money(I'm a financial planner by day), and most times that I have changed clubs, my scores have always stayed the same. This year I picked up a new driver (had the previous one for 9 years) and my current Ping I3+ I've had for about the same time frame. I love my Pings. I'm curious to see how the S55 compares even though I'll do my best to keep the comparisons out of this thread.

Here are a few pics with a few first impressions and thoughts. My old camera doesn't do this set of irons justice, but Jman's pics make up for it quite well! :)

PA220112.jpg

Right out of the box with sweet head covers to keep em safe from chatter.
I personally lose head covers within a matter of minutes, but I do like them
in general.

Really like the classic Ping font. Never gets old for me.

Absolutely love the sleek look of the backside of the clubhead. The partial cavity really fits my eye along with the color combination.
There are a lot of clubs out there that are ugly but feel good when you make contact and perform well. For me, I really need it to fit
my eye. I can't look at an ugly club no matter what. The S55 view is nothing but fantastic whether it's in your bag, hang or you're standing
over it.

Really enjoy the slimmer sole on these. I tend to hit my Ping I3+ irons fairly high and I think the smaller sole will
help bring the ball down a bit.

As I look down over these, they are square and aesthetically pleasing. I will admit it gives me a tad bit of pause
since I've been used to a thicker top line, but it also gives me the feeling of being able to attack the ball for some
reason. We'll see how that pans out when I get some swings in.

Super excited to be able to give my thoughts on these. Really appreciate the opportunity so a big thanks to Ping and THP.
Will play with these on Saturday and Sunday....Going to try and hit the range Thursday. Please let me know if you have
questions!!

Forgot to add the specs: Maroon Dot (4 degrees up) - Midsize Ping Grip - CFS Stiff Shaft

Last edited:
Enjoy those babies. Nice initial review and looking forward to following.

Great start dhartman34. Be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Nice writeup, dhartmann. Looking forward to your thoughts once you get to take these beauties to the course.

Great thoughts dhartmann. Looks like they may have a wider sole than I was expecting.

Thanks for the background info, d. Always helpful for a point of reference. I personally don't think you'll have any problem playing these and playing them well. Having seen you in action, you have plenty of skill.

PING s55 Iron - Review Thread

Thanks for the thoughts dhartmann. They look stunning

This is off to a great start. Can't wait to hear more on these things. They are incredible looking. And can't wait to hit yours Derek!

Great thoughts dhartmann. Looks like they may have a wider sole than I was expecting.

Yeah, the sole is actually a tad wider than I expected as well....But I think when you look at a so called 'players' iron, there has
to be some sort of benefit to go along with being able to shape the shots. I'll certainly find out.

Smaller than the i20's were and smaller than the SpeedBlades as well for sure. Not tiny, but not big by any stretch either IMO.

Ping S55 review - Unboxing

There is nothing better than unboxing a new set of golf clubs. It just always carries that certain excitement level that leads to a mad rush of cutting through tape and tearing apart a poor unexpected cardboard box. When I got word that one of those boxes was delivered from PING to my address, I promptly left work and raced home to find these waiting for me.

Here are the specs for what I ordered and received.

Lie: Red (.75 Flat)

Loft: Standard Lofts

Length: Standard Length

Grips: Ping 360 id8 White(standard +1 wrap of tape)

Shaft: TFC 189I Stiff

Here are some specs on the TFC shaft

TFCshaft_zpsfa2d7df0.jpg

I have a bunch of initial thoughts too and I will post them up as soon as I get them all down on paper. But as you can see these are an absolutely gorgeous set of irons. Thanks to PING and THP for allow me to test these.

Great start dhart, you're right the shorter irons do seem a bit square. I wonder what that looks like at address with a round ball?

Nice pics Dean. I like the graphite choice for you buddy. Should make them feel really nice at impact.

Jman, ddec, dhartmann....great start fellas! I look forward to your thought after getting a chance to hit these beauties! I love the different set up/spec your all ordered, really get a chance to hear differences and takes.

Dean, I am SO glad that you went graphite. I was really hoping someone would.

Nice pics Dean. I like the graphite choice for you buddy. Should make them feel really nice at impact.

Dean, I am SO glad that you went graphite. I was really hoping someone would.

you both know I have been looking to get in to a set with graphite throughout the year. I really battled some elbow/forearm/wrist pain all year. I ended up throwing those shaft dampeners in my previous set because it was taking a toll on my body. I'm a little worried about dropping down to that weight range, but I have a feeling that will quickly fade away. I'm very excited to give these a try.

Right on man. 85g shouldn't be too big of a deal after a bit of range time.

Great start to this one guys. I got to swing one of these when I was in Hubbard, OH for a bit a couple of weeks ago, it's an intriguing combo. I enjoy the look of the top line and it feels very solid when you get a hold of one. My ball striking wasn't great when I was using it, so I only had a few that a really felt like I pured. They are nice to look at. Looking forward to seeing how they work out.

Awesome pics Dean!! I'm really hoping my local store will stock these so I can hit em sometime soon. I'd be really curious to see how they compare to my sticks in feel, forgiveness, etc.

Ping S55 review - Unboxing

There is nothing better than unboxing a new set of golf clubs. It just always carries that certain excitement level that leads to a mad rush of cutting through tape and tearing apart a poor unexpected cardboard box. When I got word that one of those boxes was delivered from PING to my address, I promptly left work and raced home to find these waiting for me.

I have a bunch of initial thoughts too and I will post them up as soon as I get them all down on paper. But as you can see these are an absolutely gorgeous set of irons. Thanks to PING and THP for allow me to test these.

Just awesome pics ddec!! I really need to get a smartphone :p

It is really cool that you guys got to customize the clubs for testing. It is always very impressive that Ping did the customizations and still got the clubs to you as quickly as they have.

Really happy to see everyone getting their sticks and look forward to your reviews. While at the same time it is torture.

Smaller than the i20's were and smaller than the SpeedBlades as well for sure. Not tiny, but not big by any stretch either IMO.
I think tiny is what I was expecting. Surprised to see a little more beef to the sole. Super curious to see these in person……DDEC!!!!!!!

Great initial thoughts guys. Nice pics ddec, they really help in giving us a perspective of how the clubs set up.

Back