PING s55 Iron - Review Thread

Nice initial thoughts James. I believe I've driven past that range and yes.....it leaves a bit (AKA a lot) to be desired. LOL

Definitely more of a players iron and sounds like you didn't have too much trouble with the change in shafts from what you're accustomed to.

The SpeedBlades obviously hit a HR with the touted higher launch so I'm interested to hear how these are on the course along with just how much forgiveness they give.

They are beauties for sure.

Nice initial thoughts James. I believe I've driven past that range and yes.....it leaves a bit (AKA a lot) to be desired. LOL

Definitely more of a players iron and sounds like you didn't have too much trouble with the change in shafts from what you're accustomed to.

The SpeedBlades obviously hit a HR with the touted higher launch so I'm interested to hear how these are on the course along with just how much forgiveness they give.

They are beauties for sure.
Thanks Cookie.

I hate that place. But, I really wanted to hit a few as I'm going stir crazy looking at them all the time. One thing it did do is give me several specific areas I really want to keep an eye on as time goes on.

I enjoyed the CFS's when I pulled my C-Tapers from the i20's and tried them out amidst all of the hubub they were getting in the thread at that time. But, that's when I thought I hit the ball too high too so I was iffy on what I was seeing with the increased launch. I think PING has always done a badass job of picking shafts and to see them sticking with these shafts tells me a lot, particularly in a players iron like these. Really eager to see what I get when I start attacking greens with them from a launch perspective on things.

great thoughts James mid/high flight out of players irons sounds fantastic!

Loosing a club distance wise would kinda be expected and if you don't I would be really really shocked.

Loosing a club distance wise would kinda be expected and if you don't I would be really really shocked.

I expected it coming in, and to be honest it wouldn't bother me at all, it would just be readjusting gaps. I know in the s56's my 8i was def 155, so with the touting of increased launch and distance I'm curious to see where these sit when I get on the course.

I expected it coming in, and to be honest it wouldn't bother me at all, it would just be readjusting gaps. I know in the s56's my 8i was def 155, so with the touting of increased launch and distance I'm curious to see where these sit when I get on the course.

will be looking forward to seeing if these are longer than the s56's

Nice writeup, Jman. I'm looking forward to hearing your comparisons with the i20s as that is what I currently game with the CFS shafts. Keep up the good work and love the excitement you have for these.

James!!! I think you are awesome candidate to measure the quality of the launching characteristics, paired with the CFS shafts. I would suspect that is a nice combo to promote clean launch. Can't wait to see what comes of real golf balls off the face of these bad boys!

Nice writeup, Jman. I'm looking forward to hearing your comparisons with the i20s as that is what I currently game with the CFS shafts. Keep up the good work and love the excitement you have for these.

I'm not always huge on direct comparisons when talking about irons, but I think ironing out the differences (benefits and downfalls) between the s55's and the i20's will be an awesome read.

I'm not always huge on direct comparisons when talking about irons, but I think ironing out the differences (benefits and downfalls) between the s55's and the i20's will be an awesome read.

I agree with Dan here, I usually shy away from direct comparisons on the basis that IMO the focus should be more on does the club do what the company says it does. Inevitably though, comparisons are going to come in to play in some shape or form. For the i20's, I think its a perfect comparison since the lofts are the same as will be the lengths and the shafts. Its a fine line to walk for sure, ya know?

I'm excited to see what I see, I really and truly am.

Consistency and forgiveness are going to be a spotlight for me. I know these by design improve launch, but I think it conceptually appears as though Ping is attempting to offer some GI parallels in a player iron package, which is a neat idea.

As much as many claim it's a 'head' thing to avoid the larger club designs, it would be very refreshing to see companies take that challenge and make a complete package in a minimalist head.

Consistency and forgiveness are going to be a spotlight for me. I know these by design improve launch, but I think it conceptually appears as though Ping is attempting to offer some GI parallels in a player iron package, which is a neat idea.

As much as many claim it's a 'head' thing to avoid the larger club designs, it would be very refreshing to see companies take that challenge and make a complete package in a minimalist head.

Absolutely to this. The increased launch and ballspeed will obviously factor in on the playability factor for some of the "higher handicap" type of players because most struggle getting the ball in the air with "players" (I hate these damn classifications like that) irons. Additionally though the moving of weight around the the use of tungsten (as is tradition with the s-series) really appears to be a direct effort to get a little more forgiveness into the package. I know for me personally the tell tell sign will be off the toe, that's my miss and it usually tells me a LOT about a set of irons.

I was able to see and hold a 7 iron demo today at my local shop. Didn't get to hit it, but I was pretty happy with the size of it. Felt extremely small compared to the I3+'s I have, and looked really good as I set up over it. Lately I've been really enamored with the smaller heads of clubs. This is gonna be fun! :)

If the simulator I hit the demo in is any indicator, I anticipate no loss in distance vs my G25 irons when my S55's arrive.

If the simulator I hit the demo in is any indicator, I anticipate no loss in distance vs my G25 irons when my S55's arrive.

I will be watching cause I killed the G25's distance wise. I was a little uncomfortable with it actually.

Enjoyed that James. I bet your feelings on feel at impact are even better after tomorrow and you hit a real ball. Good luck out there buddy.

I wish my simulator numbers and stats always carried over to actual on course shots, I'd be a happy camper lol

Enjoyed that James. I bet your feelings on feel at impact are even better after tomorrow and you hit a real ball. Good luck out there buddy.

Thanks Hawkster, I'm like a little kid on Christmas eve excited about tomorrow.

Thanks Hawkster, I'm like a little kid on Christmas eve excited about tomorrow.

You'll have a great time. I know I did. Love a little variety and sexy irons do have a way of getting a guy pumped up.

Posted this in speedblades thread

So jmantestingmachine can I expect some speedblade vs s55 head to head battle stories? 2 different weapons thats for sure but id be interested to see how they perform head to head with some solid swings.

Not sure if you have launch monitor access but id love to see some numbers with like a few irons between the 2 sets and ur feedback if thats possible

I agree with Dan here, I usually shy away from direct comparisons on the basis that IMO the focus should be more on does the club do what the company says it does. Inevitably though, comparisons are going to come in to play in some shape or form. For the i20's, I think its a perfect comparison since the lofts are the same as will be the lengths and the shafts. Its a fine line to walk for sure, ya know?

I'm excited to see what I see, I really and truly am.

I agree with you. I know the review shouldn't be about comparing it to one specific iron, but in this case, I am interested (selfishly) in how the s55 compares in terms of forgiveness and workability to the i20 knowing that they have the same shaft, lengths, and lofts.

I agree with you. I know the review shouldn't be about comparing it to one specific iron, but in this case, I am interested (selfishly) in how the s55 compares in terms of forgiveness and workability to the i20 knowing that they have the same shaft, lengths, and lofts.

Dude, no worries, I'm selfish on that one and want to know too. How I feel about the i20's is well known, haha.

Posted this in speedblades thread

So jmantestingmachine can I expect some speedblade vs s55 head to head battle stories? 2 different weapons thats for sure but id be interested to see how they perform head to head with some solid swings.

Not sure if you have launch monitor access but id love to see some numbers with like a few irons between the 2 sets and ur feedback if thats possible

Totally different beasts, and like I mentioned above, I like to avoid direct comparisons as much as I can. Its more on do they do what PING says they do. I'm willing to bet I know how distances and forgiveness go just based on what each of the irons are designed to do, one is built to be super long and super forgiving, the other is built on a players profile seeking to increase both of those things but still keep the "workability" and "player profile" package. There will be some thoughts for sure, but I'm going to try and stray from direct comparisons as much as I can, the i20's are a different beast as they are the next step from player to GI in PING's line. We shall see though.

Totally different beasts, and like I mentioned above, I like to avoid direct comparisons as much as I can. Its more on do they do what PING says they do. I'm willing to bet I know how distances and forgiveness go just based on what each of the irons are designed to do, one is built to be super long and super forgiving, the other is built on a players profile seeking to increase both of those things but still keep the "workability" and "player profile" package. There will be some thoughts for sure, but I'm going to try and stray from direct comparisons as much as I can, the i20's are a different beast as they are the next step from player to GI in PING's line. We shall see though.

Thanks

You know I'll have something just for you Mike, you're my boy. The only BIG comparison I'm curious about between the two is the launch, I just don't see distance and forgiveness being close, but it'll be fun finding out. :alien:

You know I'll have something just for you Mike, you're my boy. The only BIG comparison I'm curious about between the two is the launch, I just don't see distance and forgiveness being close, but it'll be fun finding out. :alien:

No dude its cool totally understand ur viewpoint and what your attempting as a tester. Make it about the task at hand. But I agree the launch will be interesting

Played the S58's for years and loved them. If I was in the market for some new irons these would be the first on my list to try.

Back