Buying Iron Sets 5i - PW

Dholden

Reaction score
Handicap
With many iron sets being advertised as 3 iron - pw or 4 iron -gw. How would I go about getting a partial set of irons (ie 5 iron to PW or GW) ?

The reason I bring this up, as yesterday I went to my local golftown to try out a some different clubs. I hit a variety of 4 irons/hybrids and 7 irons. My favorite 4 iron/hybrid was the Adams Super S hybrid. While my favorite 7 iron was the Cobra Amp Cell.

My hope is to be able to mix and match the Adams 3 and 4 hybrid with a set of irons from 5 - pw or gw. Anyone have any experience with this and an tips on how to proceed.

I think most brands now offer pricing for individual irons. Therefore you would just multiply it out.

Buy them used or contact the OEM directly through their site.

If you order through the OEMs website most will allow you to order how you want. Ordered my XHPs 5-9 irons

I know that you can buy through GolfGalaxy to get partial sets. They treat it as a special order and pro-rate the price by the number of clubs. The only hiccup is you can't do it online - it must be done on the phone or in the store with a sales rep.

Buy them used or contact the OEM directly through their site.

If you order through the OEMs website most will allow you to order how you want. Ordered my XHPs 5-9 irons

I think this is will be my best option. As shipping and custom charges ordering from many of the american sites like globalgolf suck for Canadians.

If you go to and Edwin Watts or Golf Galaxy they will build you set up how you want it. At least on relatively newer release irons. If you are looking at something a few years old, like say Burner 2.0's then they will have them marked down enough for the set, they won't break it up anymore. I'm sure most other golf shops will do the same. I don't think Dick's will, but I'm not sure about that.

If you go to and Edwin Watts or Golf Galaxy they will build you set up how you want it. At least on relatively newer release irons. If you are looking at something a few years old, like say Burner 2.0's then they will have them marked down enough for the set, they won't break it up anymore. I'm sure most other golf shops will do the same. I don't think Dick's will, but I'm not sure about that.

Yeah I briefly mentioned it to the salesmen I was talking with at Golf Town. He said they should be able to do that for me, but he was not able to give me a definite answer.

Im a big fan of 5-PW sets. Most people cant hit a 4-iron anyways and would probably have more success with a 4-hybrid.

Im a big fan of 5-PW sets. Most people cant hit a 4-iron anyways and would probably have more success with a 4-hybrid.

This is exactly my problem. Maybe its mental, but I struggle hitting my long irons consistently and for the first time yesterday I hit a hybrid and it just seemed easier.

Yeah I briefly mentioned it to the salesmen I was talking with at Golf Town. He said they should be able to do that for me, but he was not able to give me a definite answer.

yeah I would follow up with them as that seems like a pretty common practice in the industry nowadays

My local shop does per iron pricing so you can order whichever ones you want.

This is exactly my problem. Maybe its mental, but I struggle hitting my long irons consistently and for the first time yesterday I hit a hybrid and it just seemed easier.
Hybrids typically are easier because of the weighting.

Makes sense.

And its great to hear that retailers are accommodating like that.

Yeah it is and rightfully so, why force us to pay for clubs we dont really want/need

Even when I ordered a complete 3-pw from golfsmith, they always order every iron individually and receipt shows it. It should K ot be any issues to break down a relatively new set of clubs to how you like it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I don't know what set of irons you are looking for but callaway preowned and taylormade preowned from what I hear have like new condition sets at a fraction of the cost. That's how I got my 5-pw x hots. I wanted 3 and 4 hybrids as well. Just check to see if they have a 5-pw set that you want in your stiffness.

Just a general question but when shops order your set as individual irons, does it cost more than the predetermined "sets" offered by the brand? Such as individual iron orders for 9-pw vs set order of 9-pw.

Last edited:
I don't know what set of irons you are looking for but callaway preowned and taylormade preowned from what I hear have like new condition sets at a fraction of the cost. That's how I got my 5-pw x hots. I wanted 3 and 4 hybrids as well. Just check to see if they have a 5-pw set that you want in your stiffness.

Just a general question but when shops order your set as individual irons, does it cost more than the predetermined "sets" offered by the brand? Such as individual iron orders for 9-pw vs set order of 9-pw.

Usually it doesnt. Its a set price per club so you can essentially build rhe set how you want. At least thats been my experiences.

Good info so far. All of our special orders are ordered as individual clubs so you choose what you want. Price per club is 1/8 of the set price. This allows short sets, mixed sets, and extended (more than 8) sets.

The only issue you run into, the OEM must still have them available for custom order. Even if just standard specs, special order clubs are loose components and they build them at order time. A standard length/lie/loft 5-pw would be built for you just the same as the next guy who orders non-stock specs. They don't simply pull built clubs from a box. Matter of fact, some OEMs house their stock pre-boxed and components in seperate warehouses in separate states.

Good info so far. All of our special orders are ordered as individual clubs so you choose what you want. Price per club is 1/8 of the set price. This allows short sets, mixed sets, and extended (more than 8) sets.

The only issue you run into, the OEM must still have them available for custom order. Even if just standard specs, special order clubs are loose components and they build them at order time. A standard length/lie/loft 5-pw would be built for you just the same as the next guy who orders non-stock specs. They don't simply pull built clubs from a box. Matter of fact, some OEMs house their stock pre-boxed and components in seperate warehouses in separate states.

Great information! Always interesting to get a look at how the OEMs manage inventory/stock.

Sorry for a slight hijack.

I am a lefty and there are certain OEMs that will offer a 5-PW set to their right handed customers, but require their left handed customers to get 3-PW sets (or some other 8 club set)- at least if you try to order through the website. I find this so frustrating.

Sorry for a slight hijack.

I am a lefty and there are certain OEMs that will offer a 5-PW set to their right handed customers, but require their left handed customers to get 3-PW sets (or some other 8 club set)- at least if you try to order through the website. I find this so frustrating.

This is rather unfortunate to hear, but I feel if you got in direct contact with a OEM they would help you out and not turn away a possible sale.

I purchased a 5-pw set earlier this yr through a demo day with my local golf shop. I placed the order with them and the contacted the manufacturer and had the set ordered to my specs. I had no issues ordering this way.

I purchased a 5-pw set earlier this yr through a demo day with my local golf shop. I placed the order with them and the contacted the manufacturer and had the set ordered to my specs. I had no issues ordering this way.

And this is why this came up this week and my local shop is having a demo day on Saturday and I am hoping to be able to get a good deal on some irons, hybrids and a putter.

Back