Distance To Say Go For It

Right now I don't really think there's a distance I can get to off the tee feel comfortable at going for it in 2. I do have a range I want to be comfortable with, that I know I can reach, but the consistency to go for it, is what I am working towards.

Not sure what "there is little trouble up ahead" would mean but if it's water, I'm not going for it, but if it's traps I will from 250 and in.

If there is no trouble, I'm going to hit it as far as I can anyway. I have the utmost confidence in my wedge game whether it's partial shots, full shots etc. Now, realistically, I can probably get there from 215-225 out, depending on the fairway conditions. For whatever reason - I hit the ball longer off the turf than off the tee ( ratio wise )

If the little trouble is a water hazard, I would limit going for it to 225 or less. If it is sand, I will give it a go from any distance and get as close to the green as possible.

For me it would be the 210-220 range if there's no wind in my face. If I could hit my hybrid I could go 230ish, but I just don't trust that club enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like some others have said. It all depends on the trouble ahead, lie of the ball and how im swinging. Im not "long" so my 3wd is about 230 smooth....

Callaway.. 285 over water 3w after hit the previous one in......." we're not worthy"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'll almost always lay up if its anything over 210. If trouble around the green I'll try to lay up with a club that will leave me ~ 95 yards.

Being a short knocker, I rarely go for it over 200.

230-240 if there's no trouble or just a greenside bunker. Usually 200 if there is water or OB.

200 yards, and I'll go. 210 with hazards...no.

I actually pulled of a couple 200-220's last week in Florida, but did I hit the green...no, did I make a par, yes. And an eagle, and a birdie. :D

240 and under with no front trouble.

I'd say anything inside 220 if there's no trouble in front. Every once in a while I'll take a shot with a 3W from further out. That said, I probably shouldn't go after anything outside 200.

No trouble? I'm going for it.

My distance is around 200-210. Anymore and I am not risking hitting my 3 wood off the deck. 200-210 is a smooth 2H or 3H and I hit those clubs pretty good. However, I VERY rarely ever go for the green in 2 on a par 5. Even if I am around 200ish out, I will still usually go PW and 56*. I can usually get much closer to the pin that way.

Im not so much of a "what distance" golfer, but more of a "is there trouble" golfer. If I am 230ish out and there is no trouble, I have no problem pulling a 3W and giving it hell to get it close to the green. However, that changes if there is trouble around the green.

For example, this past weekend, Par 5, 250 or so out. Wide open near the green and not a spot of trouble to see. Pulled 3W, hammered it, and landed short of the green. Had there been water or something in front of the green, I would have not pulled the 3W.

My evaluation is always, is the risk worth the reward? I'm not a lights-out short-game player, so if I end up around the green, there's certainly no guarantee I'll get up and down for birdie. Similarly, if I just sneak it on and leave myself a 60-footer, there's no guarantee I won't 3-putt.

That means the chance of a big reward (birdie) is very low even if I do go for it. Therefore, the risk has to be super low as well. Thus, even if it is within my "go for it" range, more often than not you'll see me laying up and trying to get the safe par.

If there is no trouble in front of or to the right or left, I'd probably go for it from 220-230 out. If there it trouble, no more than 180. I rarely go for the green in two on a par 5 though unless I have 180 or less, even if there is no trouble. I have much better luck laying up and using a wedge for my third.

If there is much trouble at all, I'm a lay up and play it safe guy most of the time. Of course there are many other factors including how I'm playing that particular day as well as what may be on the line if I'm playing in a match our tourney.

Last Friday, I played this risk/reward par 5 and found the right hand side of the fairway off the tee, leaving close to 200 yards to reach the green. I was hitting dead into a 10 - 15 mph wind and needed to carry 175 - 180 yards to clear the water. Being the last hole of the day and having already butchered the previous hole, I chose to go for the green and ended up with a two putt birdie to end the round on a high note. If only they all worked out like that.

D7196482-AFBD-47A7-BA34-F15F0EADA679-3881-000002E57CA3BCA1_zpsad5223d3.jpg

I would say for me it would be 225-230, if my 5W is on I will be money from there all day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll go for it no matter what if there's no trouble ahead. I'm pretty solid with partial-swing wedge shots so being between clubs doesn't really affect my strategy.

I thought about this thread today and I'm a big fat liar. I said 220 was my max but I went for it from 267 today out of the rough and ended up just short of the green. I guess it really depends on how confidant I'm feeling.

Sadly, anything over 190 means I'm laying up. I'm just not comfortable with my swing right now.

If there is no trouble 250 is my max

I went at it from 255 today with my 4w, one hop of the side of green

If I'm in the fairway and it's less than 300 yards. I'm pulling 3 metal, regardless of trouble. Those are the types of shots I play golf for. The tough shots. The shots people look at you like you're dumb for trying.
Low percentage shots, but it's what makes the game fun for me.
This is my modus operandi as long as there is not water involved. I am not from the lay-it-up-to-an-ideal-yardage school. Unless there are extenuating circumstances my experience has shown that I have a better chance of scoring when I'm as close to the green as possible.

Tin-Cup-Costner_l.jpg

I always try to get it as close to the green as I can. 240 is my max with my 4 wood.

Next year I'm going to try and work on course management. I'm going to make 200 my max go for it yardage.

Back