Distance To Say Go For It

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What is your distance into a par 5 to go for it in 2. Assume that there is little trouble up ahead, what distance says go for the green and what distance says play back and play to a number?

I think anything over 200 I will probably lay up depending on scenario. If I have a good round going, nothing over 200, if it is just for fun I will grip and it rip it most everytime

Still waiting to improve enough to try to get on under regulation.

I would think a reasonable number would be around 215-220.

Just call me.... Barb

210 or less and I'm going for it regardless of danger pretty much. Although I typically end up regretting it.

If as you said there is little trouble, I'll take a stab at anything 230 yards or less, because even if my Mashie doesn't get me there at least I'll be chipping. Longer and I'm laying up, because I'll end up hitting a half wedge.

With no trouble in front, 250

Generally 230-240 I will go for it if there is no real trouble. If it is a long 240 I just lay up.

215 would be my absolute max if everything fell into place, 195 and under I would go for it 99% of the time.

200 is pushing it, so 180-190.

About 230yds for me.

Good question, typically under 230 for me and I'm game for going. If no trouble then even if I muff the shot I have something less then 100 yards where I feel really comfortable.

No trouble around the green? Always a go if a decent drive is hit.

If there is very little, if any, trouble, I'm going for it everytime, no matter the distance

What is your distance into a par 5 to go for it in 2. Assume that there is little trouble up ahead, what distance says go for the green and what distance says play back and play to a number?

250 and under is always a go for it. i've even pushed further depending on how the green is layed out and what trouble is ahead. if its just sand id push 260 but i don't carry a 3 wood so thats really as far as i can get the ball to go unless i wanted to hit driver off the deck

240 and less I'm going for it, my 3 wood is pretty solid, then if it's not a forced carry I can roll a 2 iron up from about 225. It really depends on what the miss is and if it's worth it.

200-210 is really the best carry I'm going to get with a 3W, so 200 and under, I'm going to go for it (particularly since there are so few chances for me to go for a Par 5 in two).

If there is no trouble, and I can get there with a three wood I'll always go for it. Heck, I go for it when I know better than to go for it! I always take out driver on par 5's, but on one hole on my course I am actually relieved when I don't get a good drive. Because then I won't be messing with all the sand up around the green. Even so, I still pull driver.

I don't see why, if you can reach it, and there is no risk (trouble), why wouldn't you go for it 100% of the time?

No trouble, I'll consider it under 220, but 200 is probably the edge of my comfort zone.

210 if there's trouble other than just a bunker. I don't mind if a miss finds the standard bunker anymore.

190-200

Otherwise I'm laying up.

At 210 I go for it with my 3H. If I hit it pure I will be on the green or very close. If I miss a bit and lose some distance I will probably be only 30 or so yards out and I can hit a half swung 60 degree wedge pretty close to where I am aiming.

The par 5 behind my house is a relatively short par 5 at 460 yards but is relatively narrow and there is a big tree in the fairway that eats a LOT of balls. If you hit it properly on your drive you have a great shot at a birdie (which I have never done). I was playing a round one time and a guy in our group absolutely shanked his drive OB into someone's roof. He then proceeds to hit his drive again (hitting 3) and crushed it to about 180 out. He then stuck it about five feet from the pin and made his putt. It was a heck of a par, and would have been an eagle if not for his OB penalty...

Rather than a number, I'll just say comfortably anything with my 18* hybrid, as it has become an absolute weapon on Par 5s.

If there's little trouble, I'll consider going for it with a 3 wood, but it's pretty common that I lay up if I'm that distance out.

245 and I'll optimistically think I can do it but realistically 230 is probably best case scenario.

With no trouble in front, 250

same with me. I'd take my 3w off the deck up to 270 if there is minimal trouble left or right as well. I've got pretty good accuracy with my 1h so i'm confident up to 250

Back