Changing Putters - How Often & Why?

I am up to 5 SeeMores now. I've spent the most time with my FGP. Recently towards the end of this year and now starting to play on the sim I've been messing around with switching them out every now and again to see which one I actually prefer the most. And I think it's helping me find a simple repeatable stroke. After having my first SPi lesson it's very easy to practice what he taught me, so I'm just trying to find the best weighted best feeling putter for me. Right now I'm really leaning to my Si3. Just love looking at it at address.

I've only used 2 putters in the last 10 or so years. Once I find something that works I know if the putting goes bad it's me not the putter.
I currently have a Piretti Matera that I've been using for two seasons now. It is a great putter and fits my style of putting well. Since I installed the Salty Grip, which I love, I've been looking at some type of counterweight but didn't want to just stick something on the end of the club so I am considering taking it in for a Balance Certified Shaft Stabilizer or Tour Lock Opti-Vibe fitting.

The only time I've ever changed my putter is once when it broke (it was my first putter and from a very cheap set and the insert cracked), and once about 3 years ago when all my clubs got stolen. I like the stability of keeping the same putter. If I'm making a consistent miss I can think/work it out pretty easily. I've gotten good enough with my putter that if I miss it's nearly always a mis-read or wrong weight. I've always wanted one of the Nike Method Concept putter, but I have no desire to get rid of my Vicino so have never gotten one (if I ever find one dirt cheap I might anyway just to have a backup at home).

I put my Squareback in the bag 3 years ago....No intention of changing that is until I just bought a Fastback off Toad...decisions decisions.

I've been using my beat up Carbite for a couple of years. It's a mallet style putter and I seem to do better with it. I have a Scotty NP2, a Ping Anser, and about 10 other various putters - mostly beaters, and I keep going back to this one. I picked up a cheap Inazone putter recently ($2) that is a mallet style, so I figured I'd give it a roll since its set up a bit different and it's worth the money to tinker around with it on the practice green. I have a feeling I will end up still playing the old Carbite though.

I've changed my putter once during the last 3 years. When I got my Morgan Cup SeeMore m2w last spring I haven't touched another putter. I've been thinking about bringing back to the field my Bettinardi, but I guess I take my rounds too seriously and I'm being superstitious about changing anything. I guess I should try since I didn't go down to 5 HCP :D

My current putter has been in the bag for about 3 years but has gone from a belly putter, to a 39" putter, to its current 37" length. So I guess technically I've changed putters 3 times in three years.

Almost never. I have a dozen or so nice putters but my Scotty Newport 2 is the only one that really seems to be my "winner". I played a golo and a big sur for a very short period and if I get a bad case of the yips I'll break out an odyssey metal x 7 belly for a round or two but 95% of the time it's always the same one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I change putters fairly often but dont change brands.

TapAhoy!

I change putters fairly often but dont change brands.

TapAhoy!

Says the man who was rolling an Odyssey the first time I met him. :laughing:

Haha! I forgot all about that putter DD. Twas before SeeMore really captivated me. Glad the OP didnt ask how often I change irons.

TapAhoy!

Once I find one that I like, I will generally play with it for quite a while. This was my first year on staff with Callaway, so it took me a while to find one that I was really comfortable with, I started with the Versa, then went to the ProType Black and have finally settled in with the White Damascus, all in the #9 head style, I don't see a change coming along any time soon. Before this season, I had the original Nike Method for two seasons.

I've been playing for 16 months and have 6 putters. I just picked up an Odyssey Versa #7 WBW and drained a 50' putt off the collar on Sunday with it so I think it might stay in the bag for a bit. I have been experimenting with shapes, lengths, inserts, and shaft styles. 2 of the putters I used less then 5 rounds and knew they weren't for me the other 3 I used for at least 30. My next putter is going to be heel shafted I haven't tried one of those yet...

Back