ArmyGolf

#Rise&Grind
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A new place just opened up 5 minutes from my house called Golf Square. They don't have a website that I can find at this point but basically what they are is a restaurant/sports bar that's golf oriented. They have 9 full-blown simulators that can play any of the most famous courses in the world, and then some. There's also a driving range setting for practicing.

After you take a swing and your ball lands you see a video of your swing from both directions (head-on + down the line) as well as launch angle, backspin and any other numbers you'd be interested in. I asked if it was as accurate as a launch monitor and was assured that it is, although I still have some reservations about that because I've been trained not to trust simulators. There are different types of carpet to simulate fairway, rough, and sand and the hitting platform floats on some sort of arm that adjusts to simulate the lie angle of your current shot.

This is fairly new to me as I've never played a round of golf on a simulator but it seems really cool especially for the dark, wet winter. I look forward to spending some time there and playing a round at Augusta, Pebble Beach or Kapalua. I don't see this as a golf replacement by any means but I think it will be a better way to get practice in after work on a weekday than beating balls at a matted range.

Pricing is $20/round or $20/hour for driving range. Keep in mind real golf courses here are quite expensive at $50-$100.

Do any of you guys have a similar establishment? Is this more common? If so, what do you think? Is it fun at first and then kinda lame after awhile?

I have one nearby and usually go there a few times during the Winter. It definitely helps break up the monotony of staying inside all the time. And with a few beers, some wings, you can't go wrong.

It's really fun with a group of friends. Not sure I would go to practice myself, but a good group, some beers, and light hearted golf and banter is always fun.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I know here in central Florida we have plenty of courses and can golf 365. But that sounds like a great evening get together with your buddies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play in a fall and winter league at one.

Www.bataviagolf.com

I really enjoy it. It's not 100% accurate but it definitely beats staying inside all winter and not swinging. Putting is completely video game based feeling and the sim for me is 1 club short. Meaning my normal 7 iron distance I have to hit a 6 on the sim.

They are popping up here in a few places too. I think it's a fun afternoon with friends over beers. Even a little competitive...but I wouldn't put too much stock in the simulators other than that. Unless the courses you play have nothing but perfect lies and six foot gimmes.

There is one on the south side of Houston now called RED-E-GOLF....I keep meaning to go in there and check it out.

you rent the bays there so if you have 4 guys playing you split the costs

That sounds like a pretty sweet set up. The place we have here in town isn't too fancy inside. It has the About Golf Sims, if I recall correctly. They seem to be fairly accurate. Putting sucks, but you just try to get into the gimme range and go from there. It's not the best but it is definitely nice on super rainy days.

A friend of mine up here got a flightscope launch monitor/simulator to help with his lessons in the winter months up here. It's a must-have for us in the sense that it gets us through the winter months. We play without putting and count under 7ft as a 1 putt, 7-40ft as a 2 putt and 40+ as a 3 putt. He charges the same amount too, $20/hr, which is surprising considering he's the only show in town with one.

That place sounds awesome man, especially with beers! Yeah like checkered said ours down here is pretty small, but it'll get the job done on those days where the rain is rocking too much to play outside. I plan on manning up and playing outside as much as possible though, as long as it isn't pouring like crazy or painfully cold.

Lucky for me I'm in Florida and I don't get the winter blues. But I think that would be awesome to play that with some buddies at night at the bar. Seeing how its now dark by 5:30 unless we get out by 1 it's sometimes hard to finish. This sounds pretty cool.

I have got this Golf Dome not too far from me so I am planning on giving it a try at some point

We have a couple here in Omaha. I am going to hit one up this winter. Great to read the reviews. Looks like I just need to make sure the beer is cold and the wings are hot!

I think indoor golf is fun, its not the real thing but it will do for the winter

They are popping up here in a few places too. I think it's a fun afternoon with friends over beers. Even a little competitive...but I wouldn't put too much stock in the simulators other than that. Unless the courses you play have nothing but perfect lies and six foot gimmes.

Nailed it. Perfect way to describe it and what our Sunday will consist of after I confirm with Mark tonight!

They can be quite accurate judge of launch conditions, depending on the brand of sim. I've been on some that were basically like the OptiShot (basing ball flight on what the club does, e.g. not as accurate) and others that work like the high speed camera based launch monitors (measuring what ball and club do - accurate, but not on the level of Trackman). Some are better than others, but all of them can be pretty fun to play around on during bad weather.

Obviously not golf, but a good way to keep the swing fresh, possibly gauge where your swing is at, and have a good time.

Nailed it. Perfect way to describe it and what our Sunday will consist of after I confirm with Mark tonight!

I think indoor golf is fun, its not the real thing but it will do for the winter

I agree with both of you. The simulator by Six4three5 is one of the better ones in the area. There is a bar on the other side of Rochester that has 10 simulators and can be a little pricey.

We have one dome here in Rochester that was dedicated to golf, but was bought by a local soccer hero (legend seems way to strong) and is now primarily dedicated to soccer. There is a dome that we can drive to Buffalo and hit for awhile, but in the end - nothing beats being outdoors.

I definitely see myself escaping again this winter to get into the warmth for a week and get a few rounds in.

We have one dome here in Rochester that was dedicated to golf, but was bought by a local soccer hero (legend seems way to strong) and is now primarily dedicated to soccer. There is a dome that we can drive to Buffalo and hit for awhile, but in the end - nothing beats being outdoors.
Same thing happened to our golf dome here. They are still open for golf, but mainly weekdays early. Actually, I'm not even sure of that anymore.

Same thing happened to our golf dome here. They are still open for golf, but mainly weekdays early. Actually, I'm not even sure of that anymore.

Same here. During the week they are open for golf and once a month on a Saturday in the morning. Even then, I have gotten there for that morning and they schedule a soccer practice over the time. I gave up trying to go there.

Same here. During the week they are open for golf and once a month on a Saturday in the morning. Even then, I have gotten there for that morning and they schedule a soccer practice over the time. I gave up trying to go there.

Yeah me too! What a joke. They wanted to charge me $12 for a large bucket to swing into a net! Gimme a break. Looks like I'll be going to Buffalo once er twice a month to get range work in.

Yeah me too! What a joke. They wanted to charge me $12 for a large bucket to swing into a net! Gimme a break. Looks like I'll be going to Buffalo once er twice a month to get range work in.

Let me know when you're coming to Buffalo for a range session and I'll meet up with you.
We've got the Paddock and Wehrle golf domes...all golf, no soccer :)

Let me know when you're coming to Buffalo for a range session and I'll meet up with you.
We've got the Paddock and Wehrle golf domes...all golf, no soccer :)

Oh for sure! Figured if Aaron wanted to drive to LeRoy I could drive to Buffalo and we could meet you and Allan there. And we went to the Paddock dome last time and that place was awesome. Loved the trap.

Oh for sure! Figured if Aaron wanted to drive to LeRoy I could drive to Buffalo and we could meet you and Allan there. And we went to the Paddock dome last time and that place was awesome. Loved the trap.

This sounds like a very good plan. The trap and then the lightning fast green afterwards. ;-)

I'll have to see if they have those things at the Wehrle dome. I do know the family that owns the bar/restaurant there, Billy Baroo's. I'm pretty sure it's a shorter drive for you guys too.

reading this is making me consider joining a leage for this winter to play somewhat competitively every week, now i need to convince my golf buddys

Back