Birdieball Putting Greens

I had been looking at these for a while and was going to visit a while back, but an internal flood had taken over their warehouse. With seeing this pop back up and work being delayed for other subs to complete their phase before we could start ours, I decided to make a trip over there today.

I don't frequent this area of Denver much, and thankfully I had my phone to guide me in. I went to the door and it was locked...oh no!! I peaked in and saw Chris walking towards the door and open it for me. I explained to him about coming there once before, and now seeing activity back on here and twitter, decided to swing by. He looked kinda puzzled, but when I said I had communicated with John through Twitter, it started to make sense I think and he let me in.

There business is not really set up for a walk-in type environment. After explaining to him that I simply wanted a peek into what happens and ask questions, he welcomed me into the warehouse. I told him I was going to order a green, but I also wanted to get some visual of the workings and how things came to be. To get business out of the way first:

OPTIONS I WENT WITH:
I don't have much room, and was concerned about standing off the putting surface. Chris explained that they have an optional section used for that and that you can still stand on the narrower models. I took some putts on both and was sold on the larger size. Not that the narrow wouldn't be just fine, but I had visions of different setups/angles/games if you will on the 4' model. A very strong argument with what you get as well. Went with the medium stimp.
4' TOO WIDE?

• I asked what percentage of the larger models were purchased with the bidirectional option and was told that it is VERY popular. I explained that the size may be a concern with my living room, but wanted the bidirectional. An immediate option was delivered...it can be cut down width wise via special notes in the order. Granted, you still pay the 4' price, but they can cut it down to whatever size you want.
13'6" JUST A BIT TOO LONG?

• He also made a point about having to cut down the ends if it was to long at 14' and the cut being limited by the holes. Another option delivered...no holes cut at all and you can do it at home! All that is needed is a special request of no holes cut and purchase the BirdieBall Hole Cutter ($25). Same upgrade as the bidirectional on the 4' options, but they leave the hole cutting up to you (at your own risk of course). Now you have a bidirectional putting green with holes to be placed by you. Chris even showed me how to use the tool on an extra piece of green. Not only do I get to place them where I want, I can use the cutout to plug the hole if I want to change a location down the road (doubt I make swiss cheese out of this putting green, but you get the idea). You make it bidirectional by cutting your holes at both ends, or leave them at one end for a single stimp option.
I went with this option, he even offered to mark the backside of the green where they would normally cut them. I declined and off to the computer to order. The custom code John sent me, along with the free upgrade in length and a storage bag thrown in to offset the shipping charge...what a deal! Order now being processed while we go explore and within 10 minutes one of the guys comes out and asks if he can leave the cutter out of the box...sure. I didn't realize that when I got home I figured out why, there wasn't enough room with all the extra goodies they put in every box!!!

He took me into a smaller office where they had a couple greens set up, some target bags, educational totes, birdieballs, chipping greens (standard and prototype birdie turf), strike pads...you get the idea. Pictures were not totally off limits, but video was. They had just received a large shipment of product and we walked past soooo many cool things, I started to get excited a bit. I decided only to take a couple pics and nothing of the warehouse. I asked again about taking a video of my green being processed....unfortunately not. Every order is custom processed and made to your requests. Even if it is all standard!
IMAG1349.jpg
IMAG1348.jpg

IMAG1347.jpg

Their website offers a lot of information, but getting some things first hand was outstanding!

Their birdie turf (or what I kept referring to them as chipping mats) mats were hefty! Very well made and I was able to take some chips onto the putting greens. I REALLY liked the feel and how they didn't budge at all. If I had more room, one would have come home with me for sure! There was a version that just came in that you won't believe...ponder is still there maybe down the road. What impressed me is that on the chips, landing on the putting surface you saw an actual check and release, then a smooth roll out. Impressive

Paul came through and said hello and was glad to offer any help, but said I was in good hands. Some questions were brought up about staying flat, rolling up to put away. True roll issues (this was a quality issue that was resolved from distribution and great customer service)...and yes Taylor...how to tell if it is right side up (that is actually a very common question). The end caps help with keeping the larger size option down as well. I was also informed that when rolling the green up, flip it over and roll it up so that the putting surface is on the outside. This helps with any natural bend from being rolled up that may occur to flatten out properly.

We talked for quite a while and we visited quite a few areas of the business. Was shown some really interesting ideas for the birdieball uses as promos and gifts. Very creative ideas with the graphics...wedding napkin holders as well. He showed me the strike pad and swing plane graphics, a collapsible iron for travel and various stages of product. I really had a good time and had a box waiting for me as I was getting ready to leave. John came through and remembered me from twitter and we talked briefly about the product and :thp:. Everyone I met was very pleasant and not put off by someone just stopping by, really gave me a special treat in the tour. I had an enjoyable early afternoon and look forward to some putting practice.

I went overkill on the size, but I'm glad I did. I've already rolled it out and put it away twice and everything fits inside the bag. It's a very quick and painless process and I can see me actually getting it out if even for just short time. Leaving it out is really not an option as you will see:
IMAG1351.jpg

Still uncut...
IMAG1354.jpg

IMAG1355.jpg

Thanks for hanging in with me if you made it this far. A special thanks to Chris, John, and Paul for allowing me to catch a special glimpse inside their business. Allowing members here to take advantage of such a great deal...wow.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them the best I can. Anything stated in this post is from what I gathered during my visit and in no way reflects them directly. It's my own personal take if you will.

What an amazing experience! So cool and glad we at THP can support this!

Yes mine was upside down. Thanks to the pluffster for helping me diagnose the problem

Count this guy as another fool who didn't realize he had it upside down. I thought I was putting on ice before I decided to flip it over. I am glad I saw both of you talking about it or I would still be putting on ice!! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool report there "J4U"; I'm thinking I really need to get a Twitter account and just do this!
Too bad they don't just have a THP Discount for us old fogeys who are not plugged into the whole social media thing :)

Just read all that man, glad to see you got to check out Birdieball and got to meet all the guys there. Can't wait to get one now.

Thats awesome they are took you into their dwelling.

Cool write up Doug! I find the inner working of many of the companies fascinating, I bet it was quite the tour.

Great review. Glad to see you can stop in to their operation if you're local. Really cool.

That is very very cool J4U, if I'm ever out there I will have to stop in!

Great write up as well!

I need to order mine this week.

Woot Woot! SeeMore practiced on the BirdieBall green we'll be all set for June!

Yep, we will be. Then tweeking by an instructor and our putting should be awesome!

Great write-up Doug and glad you were able to stop by. Even more excited to get mine after seeing the inside scoop.

That was an exciting day you had Doug, thanks for sharing it with us buddy.

Ordered my green this morning & got an email that said it shipped already!

I should get the 13.5' x 2' (ordered the 9', but entered the "upgrade" code in the comment section as instructed).

I ordered the slower stimped green (9-10) because I tend to leave putts short. I hope this teaches me to be more aggressive with my stroke.

J4U, that is awesome that you could drop by. Everything I've seen says BirdieBall is a small business that gets it, and makes me even more happy that I was able to support them by buying their product.

Awesome experience J4u thanks a ton for the recap.i freaking need one of these

Just tweeted him so hopefully I get a reply and my 30% off code!

Sweet write up J4U, very cool they would let you hang out like that. I was looking at getting the 13 x 4 for my basement with the bidirectional roll and side rails. Chances are I would leave it out almost all the time, but thought it would be good to get the storage bag. Just need to save up some cash, get my code and get mine ordered.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I donated my 4'x18' to a buddy last year and have regretted it ever since. I'm seriously looking at the 6'x9' 16 hole green and with the 30% code it is almost to good to pass up.

Just got my shipping confirmation and tracking number! So far so awesome with this company.

I had already mentioned one of these to my wife as a Christmas gift - glad to see the great reviews and the great story about the warehouse tour. Now I have to cross my fingers that she gets it for me.

wish i had a twitter so i could get a 30 percent code. And i am unable to make one (personal reasons)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Try calling # on website & explain where & whatnots & see if ya get a discount

tappin from my big as note2

Pulled the trigger. 9x4 with the "upgrade" note...so hopefully a 13x4 bidirectional medium stimp will be on its way.

Anyone want to buy any living room furniture?!

Back