Anyone experiment with same length shafts in the short irons and wedges?

bigvivec

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
going 4 it
Long wedge shafts…anyone?

This is a clubfitting question/idea that I’ve been toying with…anyone play same length shafts in their short irons and wedges? Here’s the story…

I’ve always in the back of my mind thought that my 9iron, pw and gap wedge were too short…not so much the gap as I rarely full swing it, but especially in the case of the 9 and the pw…anyway, about a year ago, I mentioned it to my course pro and he said “Let’s see…” …he grabbed my 9 iron and pulled the grip, stuck in a half inch extension so that it was the same length as my 8 iron and put the grip back on…this was on the mp 14s that I recently dusted off again and have been hitting really well…anyway, I forgot about it until just now…I just got back from the range where I was hitting a lot of 9 iron shots with my mp 60 9 and I felt a little stooped over; something just wasn’t quite right…and then I remembered…the weird thing is that distance wasn’t really affected much at all, but I swing the club easier…so I was thinking of adding length to the pw as well, weakening the loft if need be and checking the lies to make sure I’m flush, but in the end having 8,9, pw and maybe the gap all playing the same length, again tweaking the lofts to keep my gaps…anyone ever done this or can think of a reason I shouldn’t? The only one I’m hesitant on is the gap which I often choke down on anyway for touch shots and feel like I don’t really need to be able to address like an 8 iron…on the flip I’ve tried overlength shafts that were half an inch longer than they are now (+3/4”) across the set and hated the feel in the 5, 4, and 3 irons…they just plain felt too long and I didn’t hit them well until I adjusted them…my wrist to floor is 36.5” in shoes FWIW and I’m currently flush at 2* flat lie angle…I have felt cramped over the ball with the 9 and pw until I went back to the 14s, and now the pw is noticeable to me in it’s short feel…I think that I’m going to go ahead and get the pro to slap in another extension and “We’ll see” but was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on this…

All my wedges are the same length. I liked it at first as it gave you that extra 1" or so with crazy lies, hitting out of the bunker while you are out of the bunker, etc. However, over time I kept forgetting to choke down on my regular shots, so I think I am going back to my standard 1" over.

All my wedges are 1 inch longer than standard,certainly helps in not hitting them heavy.

All my wedges are 1 inch longer than standard,certainly helps in not hitting them heavy.

For many amateurs wouldnt the exact opposite happen? The longer shaft would in turn make the club dig more?

For many amateurs wouldnt the exact opposite happen? The longer shaft would in turn make the club dig more?

Being tall i found that the extra length stopped me being more bent over the ball,let me maintain a better and more comfortable posture.

Being tall i found that the extra length stopped me being more bent over the ball,let me maintain a better and more comfortable posture.

Oh...That makes sense, thanks.:act-up:

I have had this asked of me a number of times. This is something that can be done. That being said you are going to have to adjust the lofts of the clubs that you lengthen. My suggestion is to use a launch moniter or something along those lines. I do it indoors so there is no outside veriables. Work on re-gapping the clubs. 1/2 inch in added length is now 1 inch in the wedge. On a range you may not see much of a change in distace but it is there. You will find if you don't adjust the lofts you will hit the clubs close to the same distace. Ideal spacing would be 10-15 yards between....I found when we did that the gap was more like 5-8 yards between. Just keep that in mind and adjust accordingly.

All my irons and wedges are plus one given my height and the relative shortness of my arms. If I use a standard length wedge I feel like I'm really squatting/bending over too much.

Thanks for the responses guys...ProV1, I think you're spot on as I feel like I'm diving after the ball sometimes with the pw...going to the shop tomorrow and drop the clubs off then schedule some time next week on their monitor to check gaps, lies and lofts...

Cheers!

My wedges are all the same length.Also never had any issues with proper distance gaps.

My 9 iron is 36.25" PW,GW and LW are 36"

Same length iron shafts

Same length iron shafts

Pros played with same length iron shafts through their 9 irons for decades, Not every pro, but the majority did because their standard 7 iron swing was as near a swing as existed and still is the most confident swing in most golfers bag.
Only recently (last decade or so) have mfg's started this rant over longer or staggered shafts.
What hits for you hit's for you. If you can't hit your 2 or 3 iron, before you toss it in the garage, measure your 7 iron, chop off the 2 or 3 iron to the same overall length as the 7 iron is, regrip it and take it out. You might be surprised.
And with your 8 and 9 being a tad longer, you'll get the same results but with more distance if you want or need it.
Doc

AS you noted you are taller so that most definitely is a good reason. I'm only 5 foot 8 inches so all of my woods are shorter now (41.5 inches over all). Hitting them is now a true pleasure, but it is still up to me to do the correct hitting/swing. I just trust them more now.
Doc

Back