Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta Preview Thread

Nice dude! Would love to get a crack at this. Man that thing looks great! TEE nailed it in the looks department

Nice dude! Would love to get a crack at this. Man that thing looks great! TEE nailed it in the looks department

They sure did! We'll get it in your hands ASAP!! Golf Addiction run might have to happen before long.

They sure did! We'll get it in your hands ASAP!! Golf Addiction run might have to happen before long.

I'm always a semi sober drive away :thumps-up:

I was able to get out for another round with the TEE XCG7. Weather was a little cool (low 50's) with a breeze of around 10-12 mph steady. Last time out I tested the XCG7 along side my X Hot Pro but this time I went exclusively with the TEE to see how things went full time and I wanted to see if I could get into a nice groove and get the ball flight I prefer (slight draw, mid trajectory). I normally play a 9 or 9.5 degree driver but for testing I had been playing around a bit and decided to go with the 10U setting, which is 10 degrees and upright to promote a draw.

Again I hit the ball very solid with it, in fact this time out was better in terms of distance as I was hitting more shots flush on the sweet spot. The odd thing was that again I did not see 1 single ball move right to left, not even a tiny bit. In fact I never saw a ball go dead straight, every single shot was this tiny fade of about 5 to 10 yards. Nothing that would complain about at all, just so odd as I had been drawing the ball non stop with my driver the 2nd half or so of this season. I missed the first 2 fairways just barely right and after that I just setup for that little fade and trusted it and went on to hit a ton of fairways the rest of the way. The guys I was playing with commented on the accuracy it was giving me, just almost to the point of picking a spot and knowing it was going there.

The trajectory was something I really liked a lot TEE claims this driver will provide a lower and more penetrating trajectory and they are spot on correct. This really impressed me on tee shots into the wind, no ballooning just a boring flight that allowed me to get some good distance into the wind, shots that normally kill my distance. This is a low spin setup so the ball flight just took off and maintained in flight, no climbing, no drastic movement left or right, just a solid straight ball hitter.

Distance was something I wasn't immediately blown away with after my first time out but I'll say that this last time I seemed to find a few extra yards with it. I hit just about every tee ball solid so that helps a lot. I wasn't any longer than I am with my X Hot Pro, but I don't feel that I was losing any distance to that club either. The X Hot Pro for those who haven't heard me say it is the longest driver I've ever had in my bag, I'm hitting that thing further than anything I've tested so to say that the TEE is keeping up with it is a pretty big statement.

Closing thoughts on this session were that I was really impressed with the accuracy, just aim and fire without any worry of a big miss right or left. That really makes for a good day off the tee when you can do that, even if it does cost a few yards in distance I think it's worth it to have that accuracy. But the fact that I was still hitting the ball longer than anyone in my group impressed me about the distance. The look and feel of the driver are both really impressive as well. Solid struck shots feel like they were just smashed off the center of the face. Sound is still a little different to me, I guess that matte black finish still has me thinking it should have that muted thud of a Callaway but it sure doesn't. It's not obnoxiously loud, but definitely a higher pitch louder sound than some out there. Not bad though, just a little different.

Hey Jake I don't know what your miss is but do you have any thoughts on toe forgiveness as well as shots high off the face? With my new swing shots off the toe have become my miss and I've found some drivers to be terribly penal in that area.

Since you typically hit a draw and are now seeing a slight fade this driver would give me some pause as I already play that 10 yard fade.

First, I like the shaft: same one I'm playing in my R1 (for those who think it's weak cuz it'a little lighter, you're definitely wrong there), BUT, the Exotics heads are always advertised as "longer" or the "longest" and in my demoing processes, I've not seen that at all. I loved the FEEL of last year's model! It was 15 yards shorter than what I play... I like the looks, colors, all of it, I've just never seen the on-course results in the drivers.

What's the background on Exotics? For those of us that don't know much about them was just looking for their history/bio in a sentence or two?

Hey Jake I don't know what your miss is but do you have any thoughts on toe forgiveness as well as shots high off the face? With my new swing shots off the toe have become my miss and I've found some drivers to be terribly penal in that area.
I would be curious to see the answer to this as well. I'm currently playing the XGC6, and I feel like if I don't hit it dead center, the ball flight is almost a low knuckler that doesn't even know where it wants to go.

Seems to me that if you miss with this misses higher on the face don't kill you as much. In fact I've hit a couple high on the face and was quite surprised at the distance I still got. I can't really comment about misses on the toe though, sorry Jordan. My misses are almost always high on the face or if not I seem to miss on the inside more so than the toe. The high misses still keeping good distance seems to be a common theme with drivers in the past few years, I remember a while back if you missed one high on the face you were toast. Now days it seems like you can actually hit those shots just as far a lot of times, of course assuming the miss wasn't TOO bad.

BUT, the Exotics heads are always advertised as "longer" or the "longest" and in my demoing processes, I've not seen that at all. I loved the FEEL of last year's model! It was 15 yards shorter than what I play... I like the looks, colors, all of it, I've just never seen the on-course results in the drivers.

I think given that COR/CT is maxed and limited and that drivers have been there for years, then there's only so much that can be in the head. Where one head stands out versus another is in ball speed on off center hits and spin (both back and side). Last year's XCG6 was seemingly great on off center ball speed. It sounds like the XCG7 is great for low spin.

The rest of driver performance really comes down to the fit, which includes the shaft. Find the right shaft, loft, shaft length, fit, etc. and I suspect most drivers of similar spin properties will max out at about the same numbers on squarely hit balls. The differences are going to be in those off center hits and how close to the absolute best fit that you are.

I personally have seen that the Exotics titanium fairways produce great distance numbers. Not every fairway is up at that max CT/COR and you can see a difference there.

Nate: Tour Edge's selling points with the Exotics lines are materials (often multi-metal with titanium, tungsten and at least one type of steel), construction technique (combo brazing as opposed to welding), design aimed at mid-low cappers, looks (subjective admittedly, but I find their designs to be attractive) and a lifetime warranty. They've got a limited sales network and don't actively sponsor pros (that I know of), but most people who have their clubs really like them.

I think given that COR/CT is maxed and limited and that drivers have been there for years, then there's only so much that can be in the head. Where one head stands out versus another is in ball speed on off center hits and spin (both back and side). Last year's XCG6 was seemingly great on off center ball speed. It sounds like the XCG7 is great for low spin.

The rest of driver performance really comes down to the fit, which includes the shaft. Find the right shaft, loft, shaft length, fit, etc. and I suspect most drivers of similar spin properties will max out at about the same numbers on squarely hit balls. The differences are going to be in those off center hits and how close to the absolute best fit that you are.

I personally have seen that the Exotics titanium fairways produce great distance numbers. Not every fairway is up at that max CT/COR and you can see a difference there.

Nate: Tour Edge's selling points with the Exotics lines are materials (often multi-metal with titanium, tungsten and at least one type of steel), construction technique (combo brazing as opposed to welding), design aimed at mid-low cappers, looks (subjective admittedly, but I find their designs to be attractive) and a lifetime warranty. They've got a limited sales network and don't actively sponsor pros (that I know of), but most people who have their clubs really like them.

That's why I put "demoing processes". I Tried different shafts at a demo event! Was nowhere close in distance. Their claims of distance may just be against their previous clubs.

Even though COR is maximized in most drivers, I find that angle of decent is often overlooked on tee shots. If you can maximize your angle of decent you can get 20-25 more yards with the extra roll out and the correct amount of spin.

I have my X Hot Pro at 44.75 inches

Great review...look forward to any further information u can provide.

I too am currently gaming the XHP driver (9.5 deg / Project X 6.0) but the one thing I don't like is the length of this driver (stock = 45.75) and that is one of the reasons I am looking at the XCG7 Beta driver (44.75)...plus I have played Matrix shafts in the past and like them as well. Not to get "off topic" but can u tell me what your setup is (shaft, swing weight, etc..) on your XHP at 44.75? Again thanks for the very insightful review!

BUT, the Exotics heads are always advertised as "longer" or the "longest" and in my demoing processes, I've not seen that at all.

Are you sure your not referring to the "Fairway woods" advertising??? I could be wrong as I have never played an Exotic Driver and have not followed the advertising but I have played many of their XCG fairway woods and they are longer than most...the only true competiton I have found to the XCG line in fairway woods is the Adams (XTD model) but then again these are 1/2 inch longer than the XCG (43 versus 43.5).

That's why I put "demoing processes". I Tried different shafts at a demo event! Was nowhere close in distance. Their claims of distance may just be against their previous clubs.

I believe you. Their heads may just not fit you. I do expect though that if you put their low spin head up against some other OEM's low spin head on the exact same shaft, you're going to come back with very similar numbers.

I like their products, but I don't currently play their driver. I owned and played a XCG4 and found it to be on the longer side distance wise. I switched away to something that fit my miss a little better.

Along those lines, the Xrail Offset is probably the best driver in their line up for my misses. As much as I want to try the XCG7, I suspect that I'd do better with the lower tech Xrail.

Great review...look forward to any further information u can provide.

I too am currently gaming the XHP driver (9.5 deg / Project X 6.0) but the one thing I don't like is the length of this driver (stock = 45.75) and that is one of the reasons I am looking at the XCG7 Beta driver (44.75)...plus I have played Matrix shafts in the past and like them as well. Not to get "off topic" but can u tell me what your setup is (shaft, swing weight, etc..) on your XHP at 44.75? Again thanks for the very insightful review!
The shaft I have with the XHP is the Fubuki K series (60g). Sorry but I'm not sure what that actual swing weight is.

I'll definitely test XCG7 driver when I can. The idea of the shorter shaft has me intrigued.

The shaft choice makes a world of difference in my XCG6. The Matrix I have in it now is pretty long, but better for when I need help finding the fairways more than I need length. On the other hand, the GD Tour AD 40 turns it into a light weight bomber. I just can't play it when My swing is off.

The shaft I have with the XHP is the Fubuki K series (60g). Sorry but I'm not sure what that actual swing weight is.

Thanks...nice shaft...I really like the stock Project X shaft but if I cut an inch off I am gong to loose serious swing weight...I talked to a builder I know and he says that would take a lot of lead tape (front and back) to get it back to a stock swing weight or close...anyway thanks for the info as I dont want this thread to be about shorter driver shafts...maybe I will just bag a XCG7 Beta and be done with it since you seem to feel that the distance is similar...and I like deep face smaller (440cc) drivers...thanks again!

Thanks...nice shaft...I really like the stock Project X shaft but if I cut an inch off I am gong to loose serious swing weight...I talked to a builder I know and he says that would take a lot of lead tape (front and back) to get it back to a stock swing weight or close...anyway thanks for the info as I dont want this thread to be about shorter driver shafts...maybe I will just bag a XCG7 Beta and be done with it since you seem to feel that the distance is similar...and I like deep face smaller (440cc) drivers...thanks again!
Yeah that's starting a whole new conversation for another thread but I could suggest you ask Jman, he did something similar with an X Hot driver earlier this year.

And you are welcome, I hope my feedback on this driver has helped so far.

Back