7 things that we don't know about you....

why not...

1) I have a slight case of social anxiety and do not like to be the center of attention, I feel like everyone is watching and judging my every move at times. I enjoy the outings but if I'm not the most talkative person on the course, at the restaurant or hanging out in a central hotel room with everyone it doesn't mean I'm not having fun. I realize it makes me come off as a jerk or boring person sometimes but I promise I'm not trying to be rude. For this reason I also choose not to share my feelings often, even with those I care about the most. It is a flaw I am working on.

2) I love sports/hobbies. I am generally decent at most things I have tried: golf, baseball/softball, basketball, billiards, table tennis (#bringit Phil), shooting sports, etc. However I am NOT great at ANY of them.

3) I'm 32 and have never had a drop of alcohol or smoked anything. I have enough addictions to overcome, I don't need any more.

4) I could tell you almost anything you want to know about a residential appraisal. I have reviewed thousands of them.

5) I have a little OCD as well. I have to proof read everything and make sure I am conveying what I want to say as best as possible. I also have a routine and hate to break that routine.

6) I hate being late to anything. I think being late is very disrespectful. (however I'm not confrontational with those who are)

7) I met my wife at work. We worked in the same department doing the exact same thing. We still work in the same department and at times have had our desks a mere 10 feet apart. It has its pros and cons...lol

EDIT: #4 didn't have a space between the ")" and "I" and due to #5 I had to fix it.

I share some OCD too. Hey, I hear you are with #Harry. Hope we both make it!

Thanks for sharing.

JM

1. My great great grandfather was shot in my hometown in VA while fighting for the union in the civil war (he was from PA) some 130 years before my parents moved there

2.I have identical twins that were both diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in the last year. There is no diabetes in my family

3. When I was in 7th grade I beat my friend in golf because he could barely hit the ball 125 yards. He is now on the PGA tour and I'm a 13 handicap

4. My wife was a math major in college. You would not guess this if you met her.

5. I work with my father, mother, and brother in a family business and we still like to see each other outside of work

6. I played baseball from 5 years old through college and wish I would have been exposed to golf instead

7. I met my wife while visiting my brother in college. Best decision of my life to go that specific day.

I share some OCD too. Hey, I hear you are with #Harry. Hope we both make it!

Thanks for sharing.

JM

Ditto! Perfectly aligned clothing in closet, clean golf clubs after every round, no empty dishes lying around, etc. I used to tremble (literally) before presenting in front of a class or large audience. This has gotten much better as I've grown older though b/c my job requires presentations (how ironic). I also was that "quiet guy that comes off as a snob." That sucks! But I know who I am.

Hang in there guys!

Last edited:
1) I was an avid Dungeons and Dragons player for many years. I even drove all the way to Milwaukee in 1992 (and 1997...and 2002) for a Dungeons and Dragons convention (Gencon). However,

2) I never played any D&D at those conventions because I have also been an avid wargamer - not PC/console/paintball wargames but old style paper map & square cardboard pieces wargames, (and occasionally, painted miniatures wargames). I ended playing wargames on all 3 of my Gencon trips. My all time favourite wargame is World in Flames. I am currently in the middle of playing a game of DAK (you have to leave these things set up for months).

3) I have had only 1 major surgical procedure in my 45 years. My gall bladder was removed 5 years ago. Recovering from the anesthetic was the hardest part of the experience. That, and there was a period of about 12 hours during which the pain meds were just not cutting it.

4) Every single workplace I have been previously employed at over the years is either out of business, or under new ownership/management.

5) I lived in Winnipeg for 10 months. Other than that, I have lived in Regina my whole life.

7) I once had shoulder length hair.

6) I used to be pretty good at fantasy football.

OK...I'm in

1. My right index finger is shorter than the left due to being cut off by a "Hay Elevator" on the farm when I was 7 years old.
2. My eyes change colors based on what mood I'm in or stress level.
3. My calves are not all that.
4. Played a poker tournament of 85 people, won, but lost being pulled over on the way home and slapped with a ticket associated with consuming over the limit. License plate light was out...no excuse and even left coat in driver seat in case consumption was indulged. The mind plays tricks on you when involved in such.
5. My father passed away from leukemia during my junior year in college and every member of my family has been taken from cancer. Of course with the exception of my awesome sister and mother. Time will tell, but I'm ready.
6. Slated to take the high school Missouri State Pole Vault and gave up my senior year in football to practice for it. Passed to 14' and snapped 3 poles on 3 attempts ending with a no height and missing out on my senior year in football. Still received scholarship for college and completed the four years clearing 16' 10" as my best.
7. Placed second in World Cup Gravity Bike competition in California. Achieved Pro status, but gave up competing due to just having my little man.

A few more that could be added...

Nice J4u.

My eyes do the same thing. it's trippy. How the heck did you snap 3 poles like that? nutty.

1. My ~15 year hiatus from golf was due to 11 years in colorado penal system.

2. I get off parole next month

3. I met a wonderful girl who I married 6 months after I got out. That was 4 and half years ago. She has 2 girls from prior relationship but they call me daddy and I love them with all my heart. We also have a 3 year old son. Quite the wonderful family and they are the reason for my success after wasting my youth

4. Growing up my family was very poor and I didn't see a tv until I was 11.

5. From the age of 11 to 16 I lived in Augsburg Germany

6. I didnt finish high school due to getting locked up, but got my GED and took correspondence courses.

7. I am very fortunate to have my own business and be able to provide for my family now give my kids everything I never had. Abs play lots of golf! :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

1. I used to teach downhill Ski School and private lessons at a small ski area in NH.
2. I suffered from PTSD before the military publicly acknowledged it, and because of that I paid out of pocket for treatment so I could continue serving at my current duty station.
3. I turned down a position with the government to become a carpenter/builder. It comes down to chasing a dream, and having a wonderful wife that supports my decision.
4. I eat a fluffernutter sandwich nearly every day, even while on a diet.
5. My parent sent me to Outward Bound while I was in Highschool to help me find an identity. The best thing they could of done, and I'm for ever grateful.
6. I absolutely despise eggplant, When I lived in Italy for 3 years, and my back yard was an eggplant farm karma I guess.
7. I once had a blood clot in my leg from sliding into second base before breakaway bags. Wouldn't of been so bad but I thought it was just a bad scrape that had a little infection. Next thing I know I'm in an ambulance headed to the hospital. 5 days later they released me. Hmmm

6. I played baseball from 5 years old through college and wish I would have been exposed to golf instead

could easily make my list as well...

1. My ~15 year hiatus from golf was due to 11 years in colorado penal system.

2. I get off parole next month

3. I met a wonderful girl who I married 6 months after I got out. That was 4 and half years ago. She has 2 girls from prior relationship but they call me daddy and I love them with all my heart. We also have a 3 year old son. Quite the wonderful family and they are the reason for my success after wasting my youth

4. Growing up my family was very poor and I didn't see a tv until I was 11.

5. From the age of 11 to 16 I lived in Augsburg Germany

6. I didnt finish high school due to getting locked up, but got my GED and took correspondence courses.

7. I am very fortunate to have my own business and be able to provide for my family now give my kids everything I never had. Abs play lots of golf! :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Very inspiring man, congratulations!

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and jump in with my boring self:

1. I was born in a town named Peabody (Central Kansas)and with a name like Duey along with being short with big ears I've always had to have a sense of humor. We moved and I grew up in SE Kansas. My mother had 15 kids in the family, 13 that lived to old age. In fact all have lived well into their 80's and past. My grandmother died at 98 and was seen at the annual reunion sliding down a sliper slide with the great grand kids.

2. As a freshman in highschool a buddy talked me into running the cross country tryouts, I placed 5th overall beating out most of the varsity on my first ever 2 mile run. I ended up setting many highschool records for the team and region, one which is said to still be there for a course over in Missouri.

3. I bought into a restuarant business at 26 and worked for that chain 25 years. I moved 5 times for that company, rebuilding territory sales and profits until 2011. I've lived in Kansas, Missouri and now Nebraska, but my hope is to make it back to Missouri at some point, close to 3 of my 4 grand kids.

4. In 1995 I suddenly started having siezures. It took some time until they found a softball sized brain tumor, non-cancer. They operated that year on Halloween day and removed it, but 3 weeks later I was back in the hospital for massive blood clots in my legs, which they could do nothing about. I'm as fit today as ever, but still can't buy insurance within reason, lol.

5. Fishing has always been one of my passions, I once caught a 40+ lb flathead during a bass tournament. Our weight scales stopped at 40, so we didn't get a good weight, but found out later it was a 10 lb line class record. We fileted it out and donated to a local church for a fish fry.

6. My now ex-wife and I met during the summer before our senior year of highschool at the A&W Rootbeer shack she woorked at. Her bf had planned a Friday night date, even brought a bunch of beer to A&W to keep chilled and then stood her up, so I took her and the beer out, lol. He wasn't happy, but she stuck with me through 24 years and three beautiful kids. We were actually legally married for 30 years.

7. I started playing golf at 12 years old and played off & on all my life. After a ten year layoff from the game, I re-found the game and THP at the same time just over 4 years ago. I should be a lot better at the game than I am, but it is what it is. Through THP I've met numerous great friends who will likely be a part of my life forever and something I will always be very thankful for.

1)
2) I never played any D&D at those conventions because I have also been an avid wargamer - not PC/console/paintball wargames but old style paper map & square cardboard pieces wargames, (and occasionally, painted miniatures wargames). I ended playing wargames on all 3 of my Gencon trips. My all time favourite wargame is World in Flames. I am currently in the middle of playing a game of DAK (you have to leave these things set up for months.

I was a serious board wargammer for years. Never played DAK but am familiar with it. My passion was Advanced Squad Leader. Had plenty of other games as well.

Great stuff everyone. Its fun to learn about you guys.

1. My grandfather's brother was put to death via the Electric Chair by the state of NY in 1935. His last words were “I want to give out a message to the people of Albany. They double-crossed me, but I’m a better man than they are. I thank you, warden.”

2. From the age of 18-24 I was a sports photographer for a local sports magazine. I have shot everything from High School Hocket to the NFL and everything in between. If there is a game I really want to see I can still pull a press pass.

3. Im a huge Dallas Cowboys fan. As a kid from the age of 6-12 I dressed up as Tony Dorsett every year for Halloween.

4. I played baseball from the time I was 6 through my freshman year of high school. Got burned out and did not tough a bat or a ball until my senior year. Played a half season of my senior year (grades were terrible) and turned down a partial scholarship to play in college.

5. I have been with my wife for 17 years. Next September will mark our 10th wedding anniversary.

6. Bought a house directly across the street form my in-laws.

7. I once flew from CT to Orlando played 2 rounds of golf and flew back to home that night.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

1. I was actually born and raised in Detroit. We didn't move until I was 14.

2. I can't stand most professional sports. It really bothers me when my wife, who teaches kids that get full scholarships to Yale and Harvard, makes 1% of that of a man that can shoot a ball into a basket. Golf is one of the few exceptions.

3. I gave up road racing motorcycles two moths after my daughter was born. I miss it tremendously, but I love my daughter more.

4. The 1999 Saturn SL2 with 153,000 miles on it that I still drive was the first car my wife ever bought. She got it brand new from the dealer right before she turned 18 and paid for it herself. We could easily afford a second car payment, but I keep telling her that we can't because I know it would break her heart to see that car go.

5. I still go to college just to avoid the high membership fees to play golf there.

6. I really wish I could get my wife to play more than one round a year with me. Its the only round each year that she plays.

7. I actually enjoy wearing a dress shirt and tie to work every day.

This is a really interesting thread. Thanks for starting Michigan Slice

1. I have one pupil that is bigger in one eye than the other, thanks to a freak injury when I was a kid. I tell people I was hit with a baseball in the eye, but really I was screwing around trying to bat opposite hand. I fouled the ball straight back and it caught me perfectly. For about a week, they weren't sure if I would ever see out of the eye again and that was one of the scariest weeks of my life.

2. Was about as engaged as you can get without being officially engaged to a woman I loved very much. Had asked for her parents blessing, received it and about a month later the relationship fell apart. Never fully got an explanation, and really haven't been able to date since. So I guess I never fully recovered.

3. Had tryouts with 4 MLB teams ( Phillies, Reds, Blue Jays and the Red Sox). Told a couple of them that I wanted to go to college and promptly dislocated my throwing shoulder in college. Went from throwing in the low 90s to pretty much not being able to throw. I hit a couple of baseballs that were measure over 400 feet when I was 18.

4. Was a high school basketball assistant coach for 4 years before I moved to Boston.

5. My first car was a Geo Prizm. Still amazed that I got in and out of that car for 8 years.

6. Everywhere I travel I love to visit history and art museums. I have a framed print in my townhouse from different art museums throughout the world.

7. I am actually a pretty decent cook. I used to help my Mom in the kitchen and back a decent baker as well. Can be dangerous when you are trying to lose weight.

7. I started playing golf at 12 years old and played off & on all my life. After a ten year layoff from the game, I re-found the game and THP at the same time just over 4 years ago. I should be a lot better at the game than I am, but it is what it is. Through THP I've met numerous great friends who will likely be a part of my life forever and something I will always be very thankful for.

The 1st THP'er I ever met, and glad to call you a great friend, Duey!

1) I wanted to be a pilot growing up, specifically I wanted to fly F16's in the USAF. My mom broke the bad news somewhere around the time I was 11, I couldn't be a military pilot because I was color blind. Anyone who has seen little miss sunshine knows how the next few minutes went down. I spent the next 10 years hoping they would come up with some like Lasik Surgery but to fix color deficiencies... didn't happen.

2) I was an incredibly stupid kid, I was always jumping off of tall things, jumping stuff on my bike/ skates/ anything else with wheels. I would do just about anything on a dare, and I played tackle football in the yard just about every day. I also played hockey, was into aggressive skating, wakeboarding, ski jumping, and motocross. Despite all of this, I have never broken a bone (unless you count fingers, toes and my nose... which I don't). I have torn sprained and otherwise ouchied quite a few ligaments, plus I've had more than my shares of concussions.

3) On one of my first dates with my wife, we were sitting and talking and I asked how tall she was, and she replied 6'2". I started freaking out, since I'm only 6'1" and 3/4. Turns out 6'2" was her listed height in volleyball, and they tend to embellish quite a bit. She is only 6'... I still got her by a good bit.

4) I once decided I wanted to get into Triathalon's, I was about half way through the swim when I realized how much I hated that idea. I finished the race... but I sure won't do that again.

5) Top Gun is the greatest movie of all time. I guess this is more of a fact than anything having to do with me.

6) I can't eat spicy food. Anything that is remotely spicy will tear my world apart.

7) In 3.5 years as a cop, I never had to taze, shoot, pepper spray, or use any other protective action against anyone. The farthest I every had to go was some light hand combat and wrestling. I'm not really sure why this was, I certainly was better at deescalating situations than most of my peers, and people tended to listen to me when I told them I would taze them. I did pepper spray quite a few dogs however.

#2 sounds exactly like me! The amazing thing is, with all the sports I played ( Football, basketball, baseball into JC ) and dumb things I've done ( jumping off bridges, rooftops, etc ) I have never had more than a broken finger! Hell, I played competitive basketball until I was 37, and that last year was the first time I ever even had a sprained ankle.

#3 makes me laugh because when I played basketball, I was listed as a 6'1 forward... reality was I was 5'10. ( we had a really small team, so since I could jump, I drew the short straw! )

I am also with you on #6, and it sucks because I love spicy food!

Ditto! Perfectly aligned clothing in closet, clean golf clubs after every round, no empty dishes lying around, etc. I used to tremble (literally) before presenting in front of a class or large audience. This has gotten much better as I've grown older though b/c my job requires presentations (how ironic). I also was that "quiet guy that comes off as a snob." That sucks! But I know who I am.

Hang in there guys!

I am very similar. I could not speak in public at all into my late 20s, and then the Army assigned me as an Instructor. When I saw that I was petrified, and when I got to the Total Army Instructor Training course, I told the Sergeant Major that I didn't know if I would be able to do it because of my anxiety. He put me with an instructor that really changed the way I looked at things and while it took a long time to completely get over it, I was teaching every day. At the end of my 2 years, I had actually grown to love being a military instructor so much that I extended for another year.

After I was medically discharged in 2006 because of an accident in Iraq, they had opened up military academy instruction for contracting because they needed Soldiers to deploy and I jumped in. The pay was horrible, but I loved the job. I eventually became known through the community and started working my way up and now I am in charge of all Field Artillery individual training for all of XVIII Airborne Corps.

All of this from a kid and young adult who would become physically ill at the thought of public speaking.

I am very similar. I could not speak in public at all into my late 20s, and then the Army assigned me as an Instructor. When I saw that I was petrified, and when I got to the Total Army Instructor Training course, I told the Sergeant Major that I didn't know if I would be able to do it because of my anxiety. He put me with an instructor that really changed the way I looked at things and while it took a long time to completely get over it, I was teaching every day. At the end of my 2 years, I had actually grown to love being a military instructor so much that I extended for another year.

After I was medically discharged in 2006 because of an accident in Iraq, they had opened up military academy instruction for contracting because they needed Soldiers to deploy and I jumped in. The pay was horrible, but I loved the job. I eventually became known through the community and started working my way up and now I am in charge of all Field Artillery individual training for all of XVIII Airborne Corps.

All of this from a kid and young adult who would become physically ill at the thought of public speaking.

Cool story and thanks for your service.

This thread is deep, very interesting. Lets see how I do

1) I was born in Santa Fe, New Mexico. My dad was a nationally known chef in the 80s and at that time was the executive chef at the Santa Fe Hilton Head restaurant durring its grand opening.

2) I'm related to Fara Fawcett, my moms maiden name is Fawcett.

3) I can't whistle or snap my fingers.

4) I can get bad anxiety from worrying about things I have zero control over.

5) I was an extreme slacker in highschool and didn't graduate, I've since changed and am currently working the long way to fixing my future. Its the 1 thing I absolutely regret in my life.

6) I'm of German decent and I love the German language and going to Germany is 1st on my bucket list.

7) This week I got my first gray hair, I'm going to be 27 in February. I haven't even told my girlfriend yet, it just feels weird, like I've had a different perspective lately.

I've been stationed there twice. It's nearly impossible to see everything in less than a month, but here's my list of kinda out of the way places to see:

Heidelberg Castle
Mainz for Fasching (the week before Ash Wednesday) -- Rose Monday is their culminating party day, but the party starts the previous Thursday.
Nuremberg for their Weinachtsmarkt (Christmas Market) it's also an incredibly interesting city in its own right
Stuttgart for Oktoberfest (Munich is too full of people, and you have to be seated at a bench in a tent to get beer, which is harder than it sounds -- Lesser known Bayerisch cities are far more open)
Berlin is best in the Springtime. The tiergarten looks and smells wonderful.

That's all I can remember right off-hand. Rudesheim is cool but a little too touristy. I never made it to Hamburg or Hanover. Koln is a very nice city. There's a lot to be said for just picking out a smaller city and just enjoying all the architecture and culture.

The 1st THP'er I ever met, and glad to call you a great friend, Duey!

Likewise buddy, we've played several times and I had an absolute blast each of them. Can't wait to do it again!

I'll play along

1) I was offered scholarships to Auburn, UGA, Missouri Valley College & Abraham Baldwin College to rodeo. I let my Mom and then girlfriend talk me into going to a ABAC as it was close to home. I never should have done that.

2) I met my wife while I was hammered drunk and she was on a date with my friend. He & I team roped together in college he called me on a whim to come to a match roping in their hometown.

3) I fell into my career by accident and have made a decent living so far. I've had a job of sorts since I was 9-10 years old.

4) I was once in a truck camper when it rolled out of the truck going down the interstate.

5) I have never broken a bone despite spending most of my youth jumping off perfectly good horses.

6) my wife & my mom are the only women I've ever told I loved them. My Dad & I have never said we loved each other, we do but we don't talk about it.

7) I am the only male member of my mom's family with all my hair & original knees. I have enough hair to spare but chronic knee pain, I guess poor breeding or something.

I've been stationed there twice. It's nearly impossible to see everything in less than a month, but here's my list of kinda out of the way places to see:

Heidelberg Castle
Mainz for Fasching (the week before Ash Wednesday) -- Rose Monday is their culminating party day, but the party starts the previous Thursday.
Nuremberg for their Weinachtsmarkt (Christmas Market) it's also an incredibly interesting city in its own right
Stuttgart for Oktoberfest (Munich is too full of people, and you have to be seated at a bench in a tent to get beer, which is harder than it sounds -- Lesser known Bayerisch cities are far more open)
Berlin is best in the Springtime. The tiergarten looks and smells wonderful.

That's all I can remember right off-hand. Rudesheim is cool but a little too touristy. I never made it to Hamburg or Hanover. Koln is a very nice city. There's a lot to be said for just picking out a smaller city and just enjoying all the architecture and culture.

I loved Heidelburg - great university town, and small enough to walk pretty much anywhere. I was there for a conference that had a dinner/reception inside the castle - it was one of the best meals I ever had. Awesome place!

4) I was once in a truck camper when it rolled out of the truck going down the interstate.

Holy cow...how did that end up?

Holy cow...how did that end up?

Just fine, nobody was hurt.
Some friends & myself were headed home from rodeoing in Arkansas I think. He had a Dodge dually with a cab over cowboy camper, a guy we went to college with & I were in the camper asleep. I have no idea what happened but the dang camper flipped/rolled out of the truck & settled into the median. I was confined to the area above the cab so I didn't move but ol Indiana (other guy's nickname) had VOX stamped onto his forehead. The truck came back & we used a couple of bottle jacks & electric jacks to load the camper back in the truck. We tied it in with ratchet straps & came on home. People all over that road & not a soul stopped to offer assistance or call the cops/ambulance.
We never went to get checked out or anything, so there's no telling what brain damage we suffered. I was 19 when all this happened but my wife let the story slip a year or 2 ago to my Mom (I'm 32). She was pissed.

Back