Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

These are so good looking...and dare I say I like these better than their pro counterpart.

Teaser pic

urydebe7.jpg

Apex goodness was waiting on me when I got home this evening.

I went with a full set of Apex irons, 4-AW. KBS Tour-V Stiff shafts.

Profile of the AW, which sets up just nicely with the iron set. I see this being a full extension of my iron game.
photo20_zps64b96185.jpg

There was some talk earlier about the long irons and the different finish on the sole. Here's a pic with the sticker still on the 5i, next to the 4i, showing that the difference in finish is due to the Tungsten Weighted Sole.

photo22_zpsadee0310.jpg

Profile look at the 8i;

photo23_zpse5c2cc37.jpg

And I am quite excited of these being in them;
photo21_zps6e95606b.jpg

Unfortunately, it was dark and raining when I got home, so inside pics will have to do for now.

Seeing these irons again got me instantly excited to get back out on the range/course. A beautiful iron, no doubt about it, and perhaps my favorite looking iron that is on the market (soon to be released, as well).

Oooo, I didn't realize you had the KBS shafts in yours.

Mr Haneline made an executive decision based on what he saw on the course that day. I'm beyond excited

Very surprised to see the box of goodies today. I went with 4-AW, and I've never been so excited to hit a gap wedge in my life.

sugymy3a.jpg

I have yet to hit these new KBS shafts but what better way to try them out than in a brand new set of pre release irons.
a4eru4y2.jpg

In my initial feedback I compared these to the j40s. Top picture shows the Apex 7 I on the right, a little bigger but feels just as sweet.
Bottom pics shows the 7 I top line on the left.
sepeny8a.jpg
u9u2y3ep.jpg

I wanted to once again take this chance to thank THP and Callaway for not only an amazing weekend in Sept but for providing us with these amazing irons as well.

Posted this in the Apex Pro thread too, but nobody has been able to answer as of yet. Can somebody comment on the relative size difference between the Apex and the Apex Pro? Typically we see a GI head slightly larger than a "players" iron. From pictures in both threads I cannot see much difference, but they are just pictures.

Anyone shed some light on this? The irons I play now (CB3 from Adams) are just a pinch smaller than the 710 AP1's I came from for example.

Thank you,

JM

Posted this in the Apex Pro thread too, but nobody has been able to answer as of yet. Can somebody comment on the relative size difference between the Apex and the Apex Pro? Typically we see a GI head slightly larger than a "players" iron. From pictures in both threads I cannot see much difference, but they are just pictures.

Anyone shed some light on this? The irons I play now (CB3 from Adams) are just a pinch smaller than the 710 AP1's I came from for example.

Thank you,

JM

I went with a combo set. Apex 3-7 Pro 8-PW. There is not a whole lot of difference between the 8 Pro and Apex 7. I will try to post a pic of that for you. I was surprised how close in size they appear.

Very surprised to see the box of goodies today. I went with 4-AW, and I've never been so excited to hit a gap wedge in my life.

sugymy3a.jpg

I have yet to hit these new KBS shafts but what better way to try them out than in a brand new set of pre release irons.
a4eru4y2.jpg

In my initial feedback I compared these to the j40s. Top picture shows the Apex 7 I on the right, a little bigger but feels just as sweet.
Bottom pics shows the 7 I top line on the left.
sepeny8a.jpg
u9u2y3ep.jpg

I wanted to once again take this chance to thank THP and Callaway for not only an amazing weekend in Sept but for providing us with these amazing irons as well.

Those are sweet mike! I look forward to our next meeting for a chance to hit those beauties.

I went with a combo set. Apex 3-7 Pro 8-PW. There is not a whole lot of difference between the 8 Pro and Apex 7. I will try to post a pic of that for you. I was surprised how close in size they appear.
Were you able to get the same shaft in both halves of the set? Which shafts did you go with?

Were you able to get the same shaft in both halves of the set? Which shafts did you go with?

Same shaft. I went with the KBS Tour V S. Same as mikedean...

One word:jealous.
these look great will follow along on these reviews. Will be writing a letter to Santa.

Thank you,

JM

The Apex 7 and the Pro 8.

IMG_1229_zpsd121f4fb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1228_zps090ac2f3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1227_zps58cf8ec2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just unboxed mine. My combo set came with the KBS Tour-V 110 S as well in the regulars and the pros. I was expecting the XP95, but the KBS shafts are not unwelcome. The white line in the top groove of the pros indicates mine are bent 2 up, which corresponds with the notes on the included paperwork. Neither shot I made while Matt was trying to get a reading for lie were very good, so he may have decided to give me another degree upright based on what he saw. I'll be hitting the range tomorrow after work to break them in and see what happens.

y5edu5ym.jpg

uzuda6ad.jpg

Apex 7i on left, Apex Pro 8 I on right.

yqaju8ad.jpg

dypygeby.jpg

ynupu9ud.jpg

na9ymezu.jpg

It's funny how things work as I had planned on taking the morning off to play and these bad boys arrived today. So far I have only been able to fondle and lust over these but I really like what I've seen so far. I went with a combo set of the Apex through 3-7 and Pro 8-PW. I will write up my thoughts on the Pros in the separate other thread. I was worried that when I went with the Apex that I might find the long irons too clunky or appear to have too much offset. That is not the case at all. The long irons look great--they aren't too small to be intimidating or too big to make me think I will have trouble working the ball.

I will my pictures of those who have already posted do the talking. I do like how they colored coded the 'Forged' with the lie angle as the did on the top groove in the Pro. It's different and it looks sharp. I went with the stock Lamkin Crossline grip. The like the contrast of the black grip and grey top.

IMG_0249_zps8752bec1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0258_zps2706110b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0253_zpsd630ef34.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3 iron
IMG_0248_zpsd22d8c02.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0251_zpsb03d31a4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0252_zps3c86f1ba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looking at the pics, 3,4 and 5 have the tungsten soles?

Looking at the pics, 3,4 and 5 have the tungsten soles?

Tungsten inserts. Supposed to help produce higher launch angle, forgiveness, and produce lower CG.

Hey 441, thanks for the comparison pics between the DPCs and the Apex irons.

Not going to lie: I would punch someone for the opportunity to hit these irons with the new KBS Tour V shafts. You guys that got those irons are so lucky.

It's funny how things work as I had planned on taking the morning off to play and these bad boys arrived today. So far I have only been able to fondle and lust over these but I really like what I've seen so far. I went with a combo set of the Apex through 3-7 and Pro 8-PW. I will write up my thoughts on the Pros in the separate other thread. I was worried that when I went with the Apex that I might find the long irons too clunky or appear to have too much offset. That is not the case at all. The long irons look great--they aren't too small to be intimidating or too big to make me think I will have trouble working the ball.

I will my pictures of those who have already posted do the talking. I do like how they colored coded the 'Forged' with the lie angle as the did on the top groove in the Pro. It's different and it looks sharp. I went with the stock Lamkin Crossline grip. The like the contrast of the black grip and grey top.

IMG_0249_zps8752bec1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0258_zps2706110b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0253_zpsd630ef34.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3 iron
IMG_0248_zpsd22d8c02.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0251_zpsb03d31a4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0252_zps3c86f1ba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for the pics. I know it's two different irons, but it looks like there is not a big difference at all except for the soles maybe.

Appreciate the effort on that.

JM

Hey 441, thanks for the comparison pics between the DPCs and the Apex irons.

Not going to lie: I would punch someone for the opportunity to hit these irons with the new KBS Tour V shafts. You guys that got those irons are so lucky.
Not gonna lie; I am pretty darn excited about those shafts.

I think I quoted the wrong post Spicoli, but you know what I mean :act-up:

JM

Thanks for the pics. I know it's two different irons, but it looks like there is not a big difference at all except for the soles maybe.

Appreciate the effort on that.

JM

Thanks, man. I am honestly surprised how small of a difference there is between the two size-wise. I went with the mixed set for the added forgiveness.

I'm seriously pondering. Would love to get my hands on some of these to try out for sure.

JM

Gaming the Apex irons. Can say so far that they are very smooth and forgiving. Hit a couple of shots, one with the 8, one with the 5, that were a little off the heel, and the response of the club said "I got this" and while they weren't perfect results, they were very appreciated.

Hit back to back tee shots with an 8 iron that were pretty sweet. Dead straight and pin high.

4 over through 9 for me is proof in the pudding, loving what I see so far.

Back