Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched from Ping G25's to the 588 Altitudes. Loving these clubs so far! I'd highly recommend them if you're in the market for a solid set of SGI clubs.

Cool, I think I may like the consistency throughout the set.

I have Mizuno JPX 800 Pros and need more help !!

All solid SGI's, I still love the Altitudes, best part about them as they have MINIMAL offset, but that certainly isn't a good thing for everyone.

Is it fair to say, generally, that these clubs would be easier to hit for player (me) that is way more consistent with fairway woods than traditional irons?

I have Mizuno JPX 800 Pros and feel like I need more forgiveness.

Going to be trying out three sets of SGI clubs ASAP.

Cleveland 588 Altitudes

Cobra Baffler XL

Adams New Idea

Anyone have any commentary on any of these iron/hybrid/mixed sets?

Is it fair to say, generally, that these clubs would be easier to hit for player (me) that is way more consistent with fairway woods than traditional irons?

I have Mizuno JPX 800 Pros and feel like I need more forgiveness.

I have tried the Altitudes, still have a PW and 9 iron here at the house in fact. Solid iron if you can get over the looks. I hit them well, but the Amp Cells took their spot. One of my playing partners has the Cobra Bafflers (the red ones), which replaced his aging Callaway X16's. He hits the ball super straight with them and he doesn't have much swing speed, but can get these up in the air pretty good compared to his Callaways. I hit them once and was knocking satellites out of the sky, but didn't seem to lose as much distance as I would have thought given the height I got out of them. Haven't hit the Adams, so I can't comment on those.

Any of the hybrid irons, Altitudes or otherwise are still irons and have to be hit like irons. What they do accomplish is giving you the confidence to put an aggressive swing on the ball, misses are still misses, but they just aren't quite as bad.

thinking about getting my dad a CB Tank #7 for Christmas..

Pondering bags with bday and Christmas coming up. I'll probably go with the C-130 or the Ogio Chamber. My stand bag just doesn't do the job anymore.

I'm pondering new irons again....So many good looking options coming out, I'm going to have to try a lot of them.

Since GolfGuru shut down their operation I am looking for a new GPS for Xmas. Having had this one for 6 years, I am looking for something that can give me everything this one did. The Guru I had gave me everything I wanted.

*Free Courses
*Ability to keep score and stats
*Distances to Front, Center, Back of Green. Also distances to the front and to carry bunkers and other hazards. Along with end of fairway numbers.

Debating on asking for a GPS Watch. I know Hawk reviewed some this year, but would like to hear more about what you all have tried, and which ones will offer me pretty much what I had.

Since GolfGuru shut down their operation I am looking for a new GPS for Xmas. Having had this one for 6 years, I am looking for something that can give me everything this one did. The Guru I had gave me everything I wanted.

*Free Courses
*Distances to Front, Center, Back of Green. Also distances to the front and to carry bunkers and other hazards. Along with end of fairway numbers.

Debating on asking for a GPS Watch. I know Hawk reviewed some this year, but would like to hear more about what you all have tried, and which ones will offer me pretty much what I had.

GolfShot for your phone?

*Free Courses

I am a fan of GPS watches, a little less information, in fact not everything on your list, but so convenient I cannot play without it. If you want to keep scores and stats, take a look at the new S4 from garmin, it looks awesome. In fact I will buy it as soon as I sell my S2 on the market place.

But, if you want distances to hazards, I dont think a watch is for you

*Free Courses

I have the S3, which does everything you're looking for with the exception of keeping stats. It doesn't give yardages to bunkers, but it gives you front/middle/back and dogleg distances. It also has a green view, where you can drag the pin to where it's located on the green and the watch updates with a distance to the pin.

I'll gladly let you borrow it for a round if you're interested. No better way of seeing if a watch would work for you than a little test drive.

*Free Courses

Big fan of the Garmin Approach. I don't have the newest one (G5 I think) but it does everything you listed, and runs on regular AA batteries. If I were to update, I would upgrade to the newest in the line.

Pondering the Smart Sole 58 that is waiting for me at home.

Pondering the Smart Sole 58 that is waiting for me at home.

Seriously, PGA SS just hates Cleveland. I went to the store last night specifically to see the Smart Sole Wedges and the Smart Square Putter and they had neither. I didnt even care if it was in RH only.

I have tried the Altitudes, still have a PW and 9 iron here at the house in fact. Solid iron if you can get over the looks. I hit them well, but the Amp Cells took their spot. One of my playing partners has the Cobra Bafflers (the red ones), which replaced his aging Callaway X16's. He hits the ball super straight with them and he doesn't have much swing speed, but can get these up in the air pretty good compared to his Callaways. I hit them once and was knocking satellites out of the sky, but didn't seem to lose as much distance as I would have thought given the height I got out of them. Haven't hit the Adams, so I can't comment on those.

Any of the hybrid irons, Altitudes or otherwise are still irons and have to be hit like irons. What they do accomplish is giving you the confidence to put an aggressive swing on the ball, misses are still misses, but they just aren't quite as bad.

Great response. Yep, have to put a good swing. I'm not crappy and can hit my irons, but it's the weakest part of my game. More practice will help, but I have more confidence with my 5 wood from 210 then I do with my 6 from 160, it's so stupid.

hoping some SGI irons/hybrid/whatever's will give me some more confidence and I do like the bulky look compared to the blade look of my current irons

Big fan of the Garmin Approach. I don't have the newest one (G5 I think) but it does everything you listed, and runs on regular AA batteries. If I were to update, I would upgrade to the newest in the line.

...and now I'm looking at Garmins... What's wrong with me? :D

Holy awful Nike. Their new shoe lines are absolutely God awful.

Holy awful Nike. Their new shoe lines are absolutely God awful.

I'll be going Puma this year in the shoes. Main reason? THP colors.

I'll be going Puma this year in the shoes. Main reason? THP colors.

I want to love Puma shoes so bad but they just dont fit my feet. I walked around PGA SS with Faas Lite's for a good 15 minutes and just cant get them to feel right.

I want to love Puma shoes so bad but they just dont fit my feet. I walked around PGA SS with Faas Lite's for a good 15 minutes and just cant get them to feel right.

That does suck, gotta admit though those are STUPID light. I was amazed when I got my pair.

That does suck, gotta admit though those are STUPID light. I was amazed when I got my pair.

Yeah they are. I want to walk more and these are perfect. Just cant get them to love me back.

very light. I tossed the idea around of maybe bringing pair for the PGA show.

I keep looking at these pictures of the new Nike pictures floating around twitter and just cant figure out if the lead designer is blind or just unbelievably bad at his/her job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back