Putting - What Made a Difference?

Duey, for me it the SPI method. My putting really became solid after a fee lesson with my instructor and a full embrace of the methodology.

I found what made the biggest difference is making sure the ball is in the same place on every putt. I was unknowingly putting it too far forward or too far back, once I found the sweet spot in my stance I worked on making that happen every time.

Duey, for me it the SPI method. My putting really became solid after a fee lesson with my instructor and a full embrace of the methodology.

I'm going to try and make this happen asap. Last I checked there's none anywhere close to me here, so I'll have to plan a trip to KC or Wichita to get it done. Sucks I didn't get in on the Putting Extravaganza trip, guessing that will be full of good info.

I'm going to try and make this happen asap. Last I checked there's none anywhere close to me here, so I'll have to plan a trip to KC or Wichita to get it done. Sucks I didn't get in on the Putting Extravaganza trip, guessing that will be full of good info.
Rickie will be getting my SPI DVD, when he is done we'll get it over to you.

I would check out SeeMore's Cyber coach. Would save you the trip and Ben fantastic to work with.

A few things for me have really made a big difference in the last year.
1) Bought a GoLo 5. This thing is just magical, especially on lag putts.
2) I'm standing very upright and my arms/wrists have zero bend in them. My stroke is made mainly with my shoulders.
3) I use an "Inch" system. Prior to every putt I read it and decide how many inches of a backstroke it requires to get it there. Once I've decided on "6 inches" for example that's all I think about during the stroke.

I'm pretty sure I look like a hack but I drain putts so that's all I care about.

Rickie will be getting my SPI DVD, when he is done we'll get it over to you.

Your a prince buddy, as always!

I would check out SeeMore's Cyber coach. Would save you the trip and Ben fantastic to work with.

I've never even considered this for some reason and need to. I've worked with several guys from SM over the last two years, email and phone, and its helped a lot, but this sounds like something I'd better check out.

For me it was adding the SS grip so I don't feel like I'm losing the grip in my hands. I also started putting better when I learned to keep my lower body still and also when I learned to finish my putting stroke as opposed to stopping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it was finding a putter that fit my eye and my stroke....I had always been a decent putter, but finding a putter that "feels good" in your hands and knowing how the ball is going to come off the blade put me in another level.

For me it was finding a putter that fit my eye and my stroke....I had always been a decent putter, but finding a putter that "feels good" in your hands and knowing how the ball is going to come off the blade put me in another level.

Watching your stroke in Iowa, I could tell you were the real deal, but honestly figured you could do that with about any flat stick.

Watching your stroke in Iowa, I could tell you were the real deal, but honestly figured you could do that with about any flat stick.

Thanks Duey....honestly I am decent with most putters...but there is something magical that happens when you find the one that just feels right in your hands...has good weight, you can really see the line with it and most importantly you trust your distances with it....I can be much more agressive with the 20 footers if I know that I can control the distance and will leave my self an easy tap in if I miss.

Developing a repeatable stroke helped me a huge amount. Always hitting the ball the same way means I know how the ball will start. Then it's 'just' aim and speed.

1) And I still fight this is: Take putting seriously. I still just 1/2 @$$ this
2) ROLL The PUTT. advice from a buddy who is a great putter of the ball

For me it was changing to a mallet putter and switching to left hand low, it lets me pull the club through the ball instead of pushing it through.

A few things for me have really made a big difference in the last year.
1) Bought a GoLo 5. This thing is just magical, especially on lag putts.
2) I'm standing very upright and my arms/wrists have zero bend in them. My stroke is made mainly with my shoulders.
3) I use an "Inch" system. Prior to every putt I read it and decide how many inches of a backstroke it requires to get it there. Once I've decided on "6 inches" for example that's all I think about during the stroke.

I'm pretty sure I look like a hack but I drain putts so that's all I care about.

You do NOT look like a hack when you're putting man, trust me! Every time you step over a putt I expect you to bury it, that's how solid your putting is.

Regarding the GoLo, I'm really starting to think maybe this is an important thing I am missing. Not necessarily the GoLo in particular, but just finding the right putter. Maybe my Xmas gift this year needs to be a putter fitting as part of my improvement cycle for April...congratulations, you have set off pondering. Lol

for me, it was 2 things. 1 is taking extra time to read the line, sometimes from both the front and back. Number 2 is focusing on getting the ball on my line by picking a spot 6-12" from my ball on my line and getting the ball there. made me much better from 20ft and in.

Last edited:
You do NOT look like a hack when you're putting man, trust me! Every time you step over a putt I expect you to bury it, that's how solid your putting is.

Regarding the GoLo, I'm really starting to think maybe this is an important thing I am missing. Not necessarily the GoLo in particular, but just finding the right putter. Maybe my Xmas gift this year needs to be a putter fitting as part of my improvement cycle for April...congratulations, you have set off pondering. Lol

Thanks man, I really appreciate that!
When I bought the GoLo it was not what I had my heart set on. I really wanted a blade style putter or a really small mallet but when I rolled them for a few hours there was no debating that the large mallet with a milled face was for me. It has been the best equipment decision I have made all year and that's saying a lot because I love my Amp Cell.

"Unconscience Putting" by Dave Stockton can be summed up as: Trust your Feel.

However, the title is fitting because it may put you to sleep reading the same ole feel stuff.

However, the title is fitting because it may put you to sleep reading the same ole feel stuff.

I'll second this book. Just delved into it for a re-read. Been about 11 months since I read it the first time.

Great book but, I liked Bob Rotella's take on it too. There are lots of guys on tour that have won with putting strokes that are imperfect - Billy Mayfair as an example. But they all believe they are great putters.
Mentally speaking its a cart before the horse thing and you need to convince yourself you are a good putter before you become one.

There was a point before my back trouble layoff where I used to even say out loud that I did not miss inside 6' - and I did not miss very often from that range. I now believe a lot of good putting is in your head. When you convince yourself you are a good putter your putting will improve. The problem with this we look at the negative not the positive side of our putting.

Even stranger is that we believe other people who tell us we putt well before we believe ourselves.

Learning to lean over and put my nose over the ball did the trick for me.

About 12 years ago I switched to Left Hand Low - Seismic shift for the better in my putting

And this year:
Dave Stockton -- Unconscious Putting
I've made more putts from 10 ft & in after working on a few things from this book than I have in the past TWO years.

About 12 years ago I switched to Left Hand Low - Seismic shift for the better in my putting

And this year: I've made more putts from 10 ft & in after working on a few things from this book than I have in the past TWO years.

I have been really impressed with this method of putting. I think it has significantly improved my ability to read and make putts.

Great book but, I liked Bob Rotella's take on it too. There are lots of guys on tour that have won with putting strokes that are imperfect - Billy Mayfair as an example. But they all believe they are great putters.
Mentally speaking its a cart before the horse thing and you need to convince yourself you are a good putter before you become one.

There was a point before my back trouble layoff where I used to even say out loud that I did not miss inside 6' - and I did not miss very often from that range. I now believe a lot of good putting is in your head. When you convince yourself you are a good putter your putting will improve. The problem with this we look at the negative not the positive side of our putting.

Even stranger is that we believe other people who tell us we putt well before we believe ourselves.

This is spot on and reason enough for me to look this book up for some winter reading. I've seen first hand what the positive belief in your own ability can do and its something I really need to get back into my putting. There was a time that I honestly thought I was the best putter on the course every time I stepped on the green and it showed in the results, but somewhere something changed and while I still have those solid putting rounds I've become inconsistent. While I don't think this is the whole fix, I do see it as a part.

Learning to lean over and put my nose over the ball did the trick for me.

This is actually something I've leaned away from that has helped my putting. SeeMore has me much more upright now with my eyes more inside and that change saw an immediate help to my stroke.

And this year: I've made more putts from 10 ft & in after working on a few things from this book than I have in the past TWO years.

I've never tried the left hand low putt and will just out of curiosity. It sounds like it might be uncomfortable to get used to and might even lead to a claw type setup, but we'll see where it goes.

Duey, try practicing with no thumbs. It will force you to let the putter release through the stroke on its one. Fantastic practice drill for taking the handsiness out of the equation. .

I just went out and tried this on my birdie ball green & it worked immediately!

My miss has always been pulls & taking my thumbs off the top of the grip helped a ton. If this transfers to the course, I should drop a few strokes a round.

Back