TaylorMade JetSpeed Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Great pics, I look forward to reading your thoughts after on course use.

Great pics and early thoughts James! I'm digging the overall larger footprint & more shallow face when compared against the SLDR. TM did a good job with the diagram to show how this is different than the RBZ2, etc. Also glad to see the move to a slightly heavier shaft as I think stability and balance is more important than generating clubhead speed.

Color me intrigued. I like the looks of this thing.

I really like the looks of the is club, especially when compared with the SLDR. I'm a huge fan of the matte finish.

Should note, and it can be seen in the comparison pics (though I need to get another one as that one might be a tad accentuated), this one is more neutral/closed than the SLDR which IMO sits open.

Should note, and it can be seen in the comparison pics (though I need to get another one as that one might be a tad accentuated), this one is more neutral/closed than the SLDR which IMO sits open.
First thing I noticed when looking at this thread was that it looked closed compared to the SLDR. I generally gravitate towards smaller sized fairways, but for some reason, I want to give this a shot.

I'm very eager to see comparisons with this and the RBZ lines. I really like the aesthetics.

Looks like this will be the nicest day of the week wind wise, will be getting out for 9 or so after work!

Feedback after!

Looks like this will be the nicest day of the week wind wise, will be getting out for 9 or so after work!

Feedback after!

Looking forward to your review. This one is on my list!

I noticed the footprint is similar to the Ping G-series fairways. I loved those so this Jetspeed may be in the hopper for me next year.

So, I got out yesterday and I actually played 9 holes with this off the tee on 5 holes and off the deck twice.

Color me intrigued.

First off, the lower profile lends itself well to my eye and my ability to hit a fairway off the deck, I'll openly admit that. This was illustrated by me actually hitting one onto the green in two on a par 5 from 238 out, it was a mid bullet with a baby fade on it. Sadly the pin was on the LEFT of the green and this left me with a 60 foot putt cross green, but I could have cared less to be honest. The other time off the deck, I caught it chunky (yes, with a fairway wood) and got a towering pop-up that kept surprisingly decent distance on it.

Off the tee, after realizing with the profile it needs to be teed a little lower than the SLDR did then things came together nicely. The sound is different than the SLDR for sure, less "solid" sounding with less of a "crack" off the face but still nowhere near being a hollow pr tinny sound. There is also a surprising amount of forgiveness packed into this one, and I truly mean that. Mis-hits are still getting results like a mis-hit but distance wise its not as penal as I expected off the toe or the heel so far. I will also say that it is indeed pretty long and the Velox shaft lent itself to a mid-high ball flight that bored through the sky. Its addicting to hit and having gamed the RBZ2 for a time last year I think there really is something here with the redesign of the slot on the club performance wise. But, more time will tell.

Also, at address, this looks really nice with the matte black and blue accent graphics.

Nice thoughts James, this one interests me more than the SLDR with the larger footprint & low profile. Ability to hit off both deck & tee is key along with forgiveness that must be there.

Nice thoughts James, this one interests me more than the SLDR with the larger footprint & low profile. Ability to hit off both deck & tee is key along with forgiveness that must be there.

Honestly, I intended to hit them side by side on a couple of tee's but instead found myself just rattling off 4-5 extra balls with the JetSpeed to see what I could do with it.

Nice initial thoughts, Jman. How does that 238 yard shot compare to your normal game play from that distance? Is that a shot you can pull off usually, or was this a pleasant surprise?

Nice initial thoughts, Jman. How does that 238 yard shot compare to your normal game play from that distance? Is that a shot you can pull off usually, or was this a pleasant surprise?

Well, the last couple fairway woods I've played are deeper and for me that spells inconsistencies off the deck, the lower profile here really just let me focus on sweeping it yesterday and the results were solid. Distance around here off the deck with a fwy this time of year as it hardens tends to go up, but the thing with this yesterday off the deck was the flight. The ball got up and carried for me, thats worth more than any distance number I'll see IMO because carry translated to any course anywhere.

Well, the last couple fairway woods I've played are deeper and for me that spells inconsistencies off the deck, the lower profile here really just let me focus on sweeping it yesterday and the results were solid. Distance around here off the deck with a fwy this time of year as it hardens tends to go up, but the thing with this yesterday off the deck was the flight. The ball got up and carried for me, thats worth more than any distance number I'll see IMO because carry translated to any course anywhere.
Awesome, good stuff, thanks. The lower profile is really intriguing. That's one of the things I love about the bubble I still carry. I can hit it off the deck any time, and off the tee is easy too, with a lower tee like you mentioned.

Club looks so incredible in person compared to the stock photos - I actually prefer the look to the SLDR. I still think the name is a bit silly, but looking forward to the performance you see from these Jman. And I've said this before, but TM is really improving the looks of all their club lines - SLDR, JetSpeed, SpeedBlade, and the new TP lines are all some of the most handsome clubs TM has put out.

Really liking your initial thoughts on the JetSpeed fairway, Jman. I was really excited when the SLDR came out, but realized pretty soon that they were not going to be as forgiving as I would need. I will be following along closely to see how they perform for you and how that performance may translate for a hack like me.

Currently testing the TaylorMade SpeedBlades for THP.

Really liking your initial thoughts on the JetSpeed fairway, Jman. I was really excited when the SLDR came out, but realized pretty soon that they were not going to be as forgiving as I would need. I will be following along closely to see how they perform for you and how that performance may translate for a hack like me.

Currently testing the TaylorMade SpeedBlades for THP.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this with the forward CG again, but they've def gotten something right with the slot tweaks, I really so believe that.

So, I went and hit about 25 balls with this one yesterday bc we've got a quasi nasty cold front coming in and I wanted to gather some more thoughts prior to that.

I'm a little confused about this line and its purpose compared to the SLDR, as some of us have discussed in Hawk's driver thread.

Things I know:
  • Larger footprint than SLDR
  • CG is still forward creating lower spin and presumably taking away some level of forgiveness
  • A bit closed at setup compared to the SLDR sitting a tad open
  • More shallow with the intention of making it easier off the deck, which for me its proving to be compared to the SLDR in the same loft
  • Its long, but no longer than the SLDR off the tee, still both are what I consider to be long fairway woods by today's distance standards
  • Its got a nice sound to it, not a solid crack but not loud or obnoxious at all, maybe a bit more "composite like" if you will
  • I think the paint/graphics look great at address

Things that confuse me:
  • Other than face depth its eerily similar to the SLDR in practically every way performance wise
  • How much does the larger slot effect the forgiveness of the more shallow face compared to the smaller slot on the SLDR
  • How does this really fit a different segment than the SLDR with the forward CG and lower spin? Not every golfer needs lower spin.

So, just lots of random thoughts about WHERE this fits. Its performing well for me and is addicting to hit, for me that is practically all on the more shallow face and how it fits my swing/eye more than a deeper one.

As always, feel free to shoot me some questions if you have them and I'll do my best to get you answers!

I'm going to ask the same thing I always ask anytime you test a fairway wood: Any issues with the sole, or more specifically the slot, grabbing the grass if you're a dragger?

I'm going to ask the same thing I always ask anytime you test a fairway wood: Any issues with the sole, or more specifically the slot, grabbing the grass if you're a dragger?

Hey Greg, I like questions no matter if they're the same or not dude!

No issues, havent tried to take it out of the rough yet, that'll be next. I'll say now that filling the slot was the best thing they have done, no issues at all there with drag or anything now and no need to clean it out with a tee!

So, I hit this off the tee all day today (also hit the SLDR 3w off each tee).

This one DEFINITELY sets up more closed than the SLDR, but to me that is expected. From a distance standpoint they are both really long off the tee, but I put a couple past the SLDR with the JetSpeed today to be honest, I think it has a lot to do with the more shallow face and how that is better for me personally. But off the deck, the JetSpeed continues to be a viable option there for me and that is rather big, easy swings netted some really good results here.

The Velox is an interesting pairing, I was able to hit some beautiful high balls today when downwind but play it down when going into the wind just the same.

Interesting. My thoughts are very mixed right now int hat at times to me it doesn't necessarily stand out from the SLDR as a whole but then at times it is evident that the more shallow face does stand out for me. Need some more time here before I go to paper for sure.

Would you say the Jetspeed is easier to hit off the deck than the SLDR? How about off the tee? I could be off base but it almost seems like the SLDR would be great for off the tee but the Jetspeed ideal from the fairway.

Would you say the Jetspeed is easier to hit off the deck than the SLDR? How about off the tee? I could be off base but it almost seems like the SLDR would be great for off the tee but the Jetspeed ideal from the fairway.

Pretty much what I've been saying, you're right on what I'm seeing dude. The shallow face here lends to hitting it off the deck easier than the deep face of the SLDR, that said, its also not hard to hit off the tee at all, which is very interesting to me.

One thing I'm still WAY up in the air on is forgiveness and how much (if any) more there is in this one to the SLDR. I was in the middle on this one all day so today didn't help with looking at that.

Back