Awkward Situations?

He may be new to the game and not know better and we all need a little education from more experienced people in all facets of life.

Exactly what I was thinking, some people are not aware that you are entitled to drop without penalty when the ball is on a wrong putting green.

I would have went the rule route and told him that he is allowed (even thought he must) to drop off the green. That way you don't come off as an arse and you protect the green. If the guy balks, take it one step further and tell him that it's a 2 stroke penalty if he plays from the wrong green so that might impact his game if someone calls him on it.

My understanding was as previously stated by others and the quoted rule, not playing that hole = free drop

If you were playing the hole, you are allowed to chip on the green, for instance if it dog legs round and you feel that a flop is the easier shot. Or bunker between you and the hole.

The rule is in line with common sense and I highly doubt those guys were playing by the book. In any event, the bozo should have moved his ball but its not necessarily up to you guys to say anything. If he took out a wedge or an iron, I personally would have said something.

That must have been crazy. I'd have to say something. Our greens keeper works to hard to have people swinging on the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have told him to drop it off the green (off of the fringe as well). I actually did that a few weeks ago. You NEVER take a swing on a green.

I've seen some pro's do it over the years on TV, chips that is if the green is really deep, but if you want to stay on the course super's "good side" I'd say that it is not something I'd do myself.

I've seen some pro's do it over the years on TV, chips that is if the green is really deep, but if you want to stay on the course super's "good side" I'd say that it is not something I'd do myself.

That was on the green of the hole they were playing. The OP's example is when they are on a green which is not the hole they are playing. In that case, there is no option, a drop off the green must be taken.

And as far as me saying NEVER take a swing on the green, I don't consider a chip swing to be the swing I was talking about, nor the kind of swing the OP was talking about (the guy took out his 3 wood and took a full swing).

I believe your allowed to hit off of the green. However, I also feel that we should leave the course in better shape than we found it. For that reason alone I would have said something to encourage him to take a drop off the green.

As stated, if it's not the green of the hole you are playing, you are required to drop it at the nearest point of relief off of the green.

If you did play from the green of another hole, you would be penalized two strokes for playing from a wrong place (loss of hole in match play).

I would have said something. It's against the rules, it's rude, the risk of a huge divot, and the twist from his shoes are bound to hurt the green. But in a nice way...hey, you know you get a relief from that..I'd hate to see your mates give you some penalties for hitting it from the green...

whether it's against the rules or not, unless you're in tournament play, it's disrespectful to the course.

That was on the green of the hole they were playing. The OP's example is when they are on a green which is not the hole they are playing. In that case, there is no option, a drop off the green must be taken.

And as far as me saying NEVER take a swing on the green, I don't consider a chip swing to be the swing I was talking about, nor the kind of swing the OP was talking about (the guy took out his 3 wood and took a full swing).

I agree 100%

That definitely would be awkward. I would probably say something soon as they came over with their club. Man can't imagine if he'd fatted it and just took a huge chunk out of the green. would be sad.

That definitely would be awkward. I would probably say something soon as they came over with their club. Man can't imagine if he'd fatted it and just took a huge chunk out of the green. would be sad.

We have idiots ho do this a lot at our course. Several greens have divots in them.

I would have said "Hey buddy, you don't have to hit that from there. You get a free drop over here in the fluffy grass. It will be better for you and the green."

When I was just starting out at golf, the guys teaching me only had about 6 months experience. I landed on a green like that and they said I had to play it where it landed . They were all about course respect and manners, and they commended me for knocking my ball off of the green with a putter before hitting it with an iron.

Sounds like the guy just needed some guidance. He shouldn't be out there without someone with him that knows better.

Glad it turned out ok,

Jackal

We have idiots ho do this a lot at our course. Several greens have divots in them.

That really sucks. Such a bummer. Such a lack of respect is just unbelievable.

I have one for you guys...
during the summer, before I had to clock on at work, I was playing 9 holes with my highschool teammate. we were on the back nine, so we would've been on the 13th tee. a man in a group on the 16th green/17th tee started screaming at his, I assume, wife or girlfriend.. I don't mean just yelling, I mean screaming. he was calling her every (bad) name in the book, to make it even better... groups on the 14th tee, which is about 1000 yards away from the 17th tee, were calling the proshop to ask what was going on.. well, I wasn't having it. I didn't have my phone on me, so I walked back to the shop and told Jake, one of the guys working, that something needed to be done about it, so he went out and talked to the woman. all she could do was apologize (while crying), Jake assured her it was ok and not her fault that her friend was being a complete ass, to say the least. I didn't want to confront the man about it, because I didn't want him to start screaming at me. and me, being a teenager, probably wouldn't have changed anything even if he didn't do that. so, what would you guys have done?

Back