Advantage to resting with an injury?

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
So I haven't posted much this week or been active because I sprained my hand last weekend playing basketball. Was still able to shoot my video for #theKing thankfully, but man was it painful. But at least I'm not completely one finger typing anymore.

Anyway....I've been struggling with my golf game the past few months/years, whatever, and I'm going to be getting lessons of some type this winter. But I'm wondering if those of you out there that were struggling with your golf game and had to take a break because of an injury (maybe a month or two or longer) thought that the time off was good for your golf game. Did it allow you to let go of the demons you'd been fighting?

I'm not going to be able to swing a club for at least another couple weeks. Going to be a change from my indoor range sessions I usually have. But at least it's winter!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I've been out a little over a month and it may be two months before I tee it up again. I had knee surgery so I'm not in a rush to get back out there. I think the break was a really good thing for me because I had lost so much confidence in my game over the past couple of years. I think a new fresh start will be exciting and something I am looking forward to. A new knee will take some time to adjust to. I'm not expecting much which will help me slide back into the game without high expectations. That's a good thing :thumb:

Good luck on your return and take it easy when you get back out there. Hopefully those bad demons will all be gone when you start fresh.

I've been out a little over a month and it may be two months before I tee it up again. I had knee surgery so I'm not in a rush to get back out there. I think the break was a really good thing for me because I had lost so much confidence in my game over the past couple of years. I think a new fresh start will be exciting and something I am looking forward to. A new knee will take some time to adjust to. I'm not expecting much which will help me slide back into the game without high expectations. That's a good thing :thumb:

Good luck on your return and take it easy when you get back out there. Hopefully those bad demons will all be gone when you start fresh.

A new knee is a heck of a change! Hopefully it'll bring you back better than ever. I know two folks that got new knees and they actually dropped strokes from their games because of the lack of pain and uncomfortableness they had had before. Good luck to you!! :)

A new knee is a heck of a change! Hopefully it'll bring you back better than ever. I know two folks that got new knees and they actually dropped strokes from their games because of the lack of pain and uncomfortableness they had had before. Good luck to you!! :)

Thanks buddy and this is what I am hoping for! A change can be good so let's get out there and take folks to the woodshed when we heal up :deadhorse:

I didn't play for 5 months in 2012 and my handicap jumped quite a bit when I returned but I was able to get it back down after about 6 months. Of course, I joined a new course too and that played a huge role. As for the demons, taking 5 months off puts a new perspective on things when you go back. I was just so glad to be back out there that my attitude was great and I enjoyed ALL the rounds, not just the good ones.

I can't speak for others, but I have found that a break (for whatever reason, not just necessarily an injury) can actually be good for my game as you don't have any expectations for the first couple of rounds and therefore don't put pressure on yourself to score well. I think that subconsciously you expect the injury to have an effect on your game, so you can end up playing better than you expect

I wouldn't say that a break cleared any demons that I had. However, I can tell you that trying to play through an injury can lead to you making compensations in your swing that aren't good for your swing. I remember that I pulled an intercostal muscle a few years ago (muscle between the ribs) and it hurt anytime I took a hard swing, so pretty much from 5 iron on up to driver. I tried to play through it and was basically having to take super-slow swings just so that it didn't hurt a lot. I ended up taking almost a month off to heal up because I didn't want to be restricted when playing. With this time of year being the down-time in the golf season, there's no harm in healing up now and listening to your body before you start working on your swing again.

I hurt my elbow (tendonitis) about 1-1/2 months before MC2012 and rested a couple weeks before I decided to get back to practice. The last shot I took on Sunday was the last shot I took for a full month (which sucked because August was great golfing weather) and when I came back, the elbow was fine and I haven't had any issues with it since.

I injured my back at the beginning of the year and had to take a month off, but I think it really helped me. The physical therapy is probably the reason because it forced me to stretch and strengthen my core. This helped me make it through the year with no other injuries and I consistently stick with a workout plan as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had low back (SI) problems since my teens. Over time it caused problems with my mid-back as well, right between my shoulder blades. Golf tends to throw this one out more often than when I am not golfing. It causes cramping and pulling in the muscles until I have sore spots on my ribs from the pulling and irritation. Had to take a couple weeks off lessons and practice last year to get that stuff to calm back down.

Strains, sprains and pulls need rest or they just get more irritated and heal more slowly. I have had enough of them to know. One of the worst was a torn bicep tendon, felt like someone was trying to jam a knitting needle through my elbow.

I have had low back (SI) problems since my teens. Over time it caused problems with my mid-back as well, right between my shoulder blades. Golf tends to throw this one out more often than when I am not golfing. It causes cramping and pulling in the muscles until I have sore spots on my ribs from the pulling and irritation. Had to take a couple weeks off lessons and practice last year to get that stuff to calm back down.

Strains, sprains and pulls need rest or they just get more irritated and heal more slowly. I have had enough of them to know. One of the worst was a torn bicep tendon, felt like someone was trying to jam a knitting needle through my elbow.

SI problems are the WORST! Mine got messed up from a car accident a while back.....Had to go to PT and the chiro for months. Still pops up and get pain every once in a while now....But nothing like it was. Paralyzing pain. Just yuck.

SI problems are the WORST! Mine got messed up from a car accident a while back.....Had to go to PT and the chiro for months. Still pops up and get pain every once in a while now....But nothing like it was. Paralyzing pain. Just yuck.

...throw in being on the backside of 40 and a lack of treatment other than pills and you can throw back spasms into the mix as well. That makes it really fun...

For me doing spinal decompression was the answer, and still is. I am for the most part pain free in my low back now.

I will probably be resting the body for a couple months now. Have tennis/golf elbow in my right arm and lower back has been killing me for a few months now. Seems like every other round the back starts bothering me. I played 3 rounds Thurs, Fri and Today and the back held up until the back 9 today. Haven't had it looked at, but feels serious. Tightens up about 4-5" above the tailbone area. I know between these 2 injuries it is affecting my game quite a bit, don't even try and hit my driver anymore as I know I am compensating too much and every shot with it suffers. First time since I started golfing I am wishing for bad weather for awhile so I won't go out and play.

Time heals all wounds. Every time I take a break I come back stronger and playing well

No sooner did my back get better, i sprained my hand/wrist. Been about 2 months since I've played a full round (ironically my PB, which makes it even harder to wait). Think I'm just going to shut it down until 2014 and try to get back to 100%. That coupled with a new diet and gym regiment, going to be taking my game to new level next year. 12 handicap or lower before 2015 is the goal.

Back