The 2013-14 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sec fans don't travel? The big house seats over 110k, the horseshoe over 101k, so its not a matter of ticket sales. Sponsors will still sponsor the NC game because its great pubicity. And I know the SEC doesn't set the location but I've said it for years now, bring that speed up north and see how they fair.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

so you think if the AD at Bama calls the AD @ Mich or Ohio St. and says hey lets play next year or in the future he is going to say sure & give up a cupcake game...yeah ok

Sure do seem to be a lot of people already counting on wins next week for Auburn and Ohio State. Its a very real possibility that both teams loose.

Well Mizzou is no joke and personally think they give Auburn a tougher match up

so you think if the AD at Bama calls the AD @ Mich or Ohio St. and says hey lets play next year or in the future he is going to say sure & give up a cupcake game...yeah ok

Mich St already tried with Bama and they had scheduled games for 16 and 17 and Alabama backed out.

Sorry I mistyped edit for correct Big Ten School.

So sec fans don't travel? The big house seats over 110k, the horseshoe over 101k, so its not a matter of ticket sales. Sponsors will still sponsor the NC game because its great pubicity. And I know the SEC doesn't set the location but I've said it for years now, bring that speed up north and see how they fair.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Here's the joy of the new system...any stadium and city can bid to get the semi-finals and finals. Let the northern cities open their wallets, and the SEC teams will play where they are told to. You know as well as I do thought that the only places even up north that will bid have domes...outdoor football in January sucks, which is why like only a few NFL teams up north play outdoors, and the Super Bowl is going to one of those for the first and probably last time.

Ohio St already tried with Bama and they had scheduled games for 16 and 17 and Alabama backed out.

Michigan St & looks like it was done at the SEC's request not the schools

Ohio St already tried with Bama and they had scheduled games for 16 and 17 and Alabama backed out.

I know you keep saying that, but we had a series with Michigan State scheduled for 2016-17 that we cancelled...I don't remember hearing of an agreement with Ohio State.

For the sake of the discussion, we cancelled the Michigan State series to provide flexibility for whatever scheduling looks like with a nine-game SEC schedule (which Saban is one of TWO advocates for). Besides, we play one big name opponent EVERY year at a neutral site to open the season. I believe it is West Virginia next year, and Wisconsin in 2015.

I know you keep saying that, but we had a series with Michigan State scheduled for 2016-17 that we cancelled...I don't remember hearing of an agreement with Ohio State.

For the sake of the discussion, we cancelled the Michigan State series to provide flexibility for whatever scheduling looks like with a nine-game SEC schedule (which Saban is one of TWO advocates for). Besides, we play one big name opponent EVERY year at a neutral site to open the season. I believe it is West Virginia next year, and Wisconsin in 2015.

You're correct and I edited my above post. they also had set a date for Ohio St I believe but backed out of that as well. I will try to find it.

Michigan St & looks like it was done at the SEC's request not the schools

Sure thing. It wasn't the SEC's request it was Alabama's request due to "Uncertainty in conference scheduling"

They could have made it work I would imagine.

You're correct and I edited my above post. they also had set a date for Ohio St I believe but backed out of that as well. I will try to find it.

That all being said, I would love for the playoff committee to reward teams that play tough non-conference schedules and for the creampuff games to be eliminated...but we all better get used to national champions with 1-2 losses if we get our wish.

To be fair, Bama has been the SEC exception - the rare team willing to play at least 1 solid OOC game for a few years now. Since 2007 they have played FSU, PSUx2, VaTechx2, Michigan and Clemson.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

NOBODY wants to spend their vacation time during the holidays in Columbus, OH. I have family in Pickerington and they hate potential snow and warming up their cars while I'm in shorts down in FL.

To be fair, Bama has been the SEC exception - the rare team willing to play at least 1 solid OOC game for a few years now. Since 2007 they have played FSU, PSUx2, VaTechx2, Michigan and Clemson.

I completely agree with you. Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, and LSU typically follow a similar approach. Florida and South Carolina play FSU and Clemson every year, so those would be same levels. The bottom teams schedule four cupcakes so they can win as few SEC games as possible and still get to a bowl which saves their coaches season. Same bottom tier schools are the ones afraid of playing 9 game SEC schedules.

I just looked back at Alabamas schedule, who exactly makes that schedule so tough? The overrated Texas A&M, a solid LSU team, the loss to Auburn, or was it Chattanooga and Colorado State. Now I not gonna brag about Ohio States schedule but we are undefeated and not trying to make it on strength of schedule.

As for only domes up north. I bet you will be surprised who shows up with money. I'm sure schools that pay their coaches north of 5 million a year can put up the dough nessacary to host a bcs game.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Mich St already tried with Bama and they had scheduled games for 16 and 17 and Alabama backed out.

Sorry I mistyped edit for correct Big Ten School.

Yeah. Oregon and Ohio State mutually agreed out of home and home games with UGA for 2015, 2016 and 2020, 2021 respectively.

I just looked back at Alabamas schedule, who exactly makes that schedule so tough? The overrated Texas A&M, a solid LSU team, the loss to Auburn, or was it Chattanooga and Colorado State. Now I not gonna brag about Ohio States schedule but we are undefeated and not trying to make it on strength of schedule.

As for only domes up north. I bet you will be surprised who shows up with money. I'm sure schools that pay their coaches north of 5 million a year can put up the dough nessacary to host a bcs game.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

A) I don't think anyone mentioned Alabama's schedule...we are out of this race unless insanity starts occuring.

B) You are not grasping the quantity of millions that the cities paying to host the championship game are spending. Texas, with their highest revenues in the nation, isn't spending $50+ million to host a game...we're talking MAJOR money here. Think Indianapolis, Chicago...not Ann Arbor, Columbus.

NOBODY wants to spend their vacation time during the holidays in Columbus, OH. I have family in Pickerington and they hate potential snow and warming up their cars while I'm in shorts down in FL.

Pansy. Lol. But I'm sure that's how those SEC football players are. Scared to get cold.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

The argument about the championship game not being up north is probably the silliest argument on this thread, IMO. What next, the SEC uniforms are too slippery? The Pac 12 players getting an extra benefit from having all that sunshine year round? Give me a break.

The argument about the championship game not being up north is probably the silliest argument on this thread, IMO. What next, the SEC uniforms are too slippery? The Pac 12 players getting an extra benefit from having all that sunshine year round? Give me a break.

its all silly, rankings based on where people think you should be or some computer ranking based on this & that....:banghead:

^Agree on that.

I think that next year will help some. I also hope that in the future it will expand to the Top 6 or maybe even if we're really lucky, the top 8 teams.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes, top 8 would resolve any reasonable arguments about who should be in the playoff and who is the champion. I think eventually we will get there.

While I do truly believe Auburn would beat OSU, i don't think we should jump them.

Yes, top 8 would resolve any reasonable arguments about who should be in the playoff and who is the champion. I think eventually we will get there.

6 teams based on Conf Champs.. Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac 12, AAC & 2 at large teams from the remaining Conf = 8

Remove the current BCS bowl games they can be used for for playoffs, of course this would add 1 or 2 games in Dec. (depending if you win or not) 4 games a week or so before x-mas, 2 games around X-mas. Champ game around new year’s, they are not in school anyway so they are not missing anything....the schools/NCAA would have to decide if they want the $$ from bowl games or a true National champion from the Conf Champs, not based on where a computer says they should be.

Well except they would have to seed the Conf champs 1-6 so there is more arguing....(at large are 7&8 no questions asked)

I think that next year will help some. I also hope that in the future it will expand to the Top 6 or maybe even if we're really lucky, the top 8 teams.

I agree that this is the best method, they will still use the polls to figure out who gets it. So next year we will be having this same discussion but it will be about who is the 4th best. Lets say theoretically OSU wins out and wins the NC game, but then still plays the big ten schedule ( I don't see the big 10 improving much) do they get left out out of the top 4 due to lack of schedule strength. I know there is no perfect system and this is getting close but I don't think the debate will ever be settled.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I agree that this is the best method, they will still use the polls to figure out who gets it. So next year we will be having this same discussion but it will be about who is the 4th best. Lets say theoretically OSU wins out and wins the NC game, but then still plays the big ten schedule ( I don't see the big 10 improving much) do they get left out out of the top 4 due to lack of schedule strength. I know there is no perfect system and this is getting close but I don't think the debate will ever be settled.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I think once you include the top 6 or 8 teams there isn't much to argue about. 4 still leaves room for argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back