PGA Tour Sponsor Rumors

If I'm Tiger, I come back with no exclusive sponsorship. I've already made enough money, and I play with whatever clubs I feel the most comfortable with. If I want to hit a TM driver, with Titlest irons, Cleveland wedges, SeeMore putter, and Penta balls to win the most tournaments I possibly can, then I do it. Besides, what's a pro's ultimate goal? Winning tournaments or making (more) buttloads of money? Again, thats just me being the best golfer in the world having already made $1 billion +.

He can do that now if he wants to. His contract with Nike says that if he finds something he wants to play he can opt out on a per club basis in many situations.

If I'm Tiger, I come back with no exclusive sponsorship. I've already made enough money, and I play with whatever clubs I feel the most comfortable with. If I want to hit a TM driver, with Titlest irons, Cleveland wedges, SeeMore putter, and Penta balls to win the most tournaments I possibly can, then I do it. Besides, what's a pro's ultimate goal? Winning tournaments or making (more) buttloads of money? Again, thats just me being the best golfer in the world having already made $1 billion +.

Isn't that basically what Ryan Moore did?

I would certainly be surprised if Nike ever dropped Tiger. The other sponsors...not so much but I beleive they will be back should he return and start winning. I think this is a bit of cool off period for some of them.

Me too, I don't think Nike ever will drop him, they also sponsor Michael Vick.

Me too, I don't think Nike ever will drop him, they also sponsor Michael Vick.

That was a rumor that turned out to be not the case. They supplied him with gear, but do not sponsor him.

Brian Gay is now with TM I believe.

Brian Gay is now with TM I believe.

That was a little while back. It should be somewhere on the board. It is still unofficial as of right now though.

He can do that now if he wants to. His contract with Nike says that if he finds something he wants to play he can opt out on a per club basis in many situations.

Don't you think that him playing anything else is a bunch of PR bull or hype. With Tiger's driving issues over the last few years, I am amazed he did not make a bigger jump than just some shaft switches throughout the year.

Don't you think that him playing anything else is a bunch of PR bull or hype. With Tiger's driving issues over the last few years, I am amazed he did not make a bigger jump than just some shaft switches throughout the year.

I actually don't. If he is the greatest player in the world, which I think most would agree with, it was not the club head giving him troubles.

There are a couple of rumors flying high right now in the world of golf sponsorships with certain players. Some guys are coming and some guys are going. Last year we brought you the Adam Scott news and here are a few others.

Geoff Ogilvy Leaving Cobra -

Geoff Ogilvy Leaving PUMA - Not sure as of yet.

Aaron Baddeley Leaving Original Penguin - y.

all my Australian Bretheren!!!!

but really Ogilvy could be using an old fish to hit the ball and he would still cream it with that swing!!!

be a new look on the commercial scene though as all 3 of those guys feature heavily on the TV here:D

I can't remember if this is fact or an internet rumor that I heard somewhere, but doesn't Tiger get a piece of Nike? Or maybe it was that he will get a piece of Nike in the future? Or maybe it's a cut of the action from the golf line?

I can't remember if this is fact or an internet rumor that I heard somewhere, but doesn't Tiger get a piece of Nike? Or maybe it was that he will get a piece of Nike in the future? Or maybe it's a cut of the action from the golf line?

Tiger gets a piece of Nike. But not equipment sales. From everything we have been told it is based on sales of his shoe and apparel line only.

Jonathan Byrd and Jeff Overton too.

is there any particular reason why Mizuno isn't sponsoring more players. with everything you read about the company, the quality of the clubs, and the price tag, wouldn't they want to sponsor more players or at least go after someone in the top 20. maybe it's a silly question but i'm sure you can give me a logical explanation.

is there any particular reason why Mizuno isn't sponsoring more players. with everything you read about the company, the quality of the clubs, and the price tag, wouldn't they want to sponsor more players or at least go after someone in the top 20. maybe it's a silly question but i'm sure you can give me a logical explanation.

Its really just not their business model according to them.

Oglivy switches to titleist

Oglivy switches to titleist

Cobra and Titleist are the same company. Oglivy switching from Cobra to Titleist is really no big deal. If anything it is a statement by the company (Fortune Brands I think) that Oglivy is in the elite players category.

These guys could hit any driver head as far as they currently do. If there really was a tangible difference in performance, all the pro's would be playing that particular brand.

It's getting the matched shaft/loft/length of club, etc... that maximizes their swing that yields their best results.

Maybe I am in the minority or just cynical, but I could not care what any pro swings in any way. Tiger or Ernie or Geoff play the equipment that benefits them the most (maybe due to endorsement money, maybe to play the best golf, maybe both).

I evaluate products based on what I read and reviews from great sites like this one. From people that have little to no vested interest in the brand. I say that because some people like to self-justify what they just shelled out money for.

He got a lot less than Geoff from what we are hearing. We are not at liberty to say what guys get for apparel deals, but some are quite high. Him moving to Titleist was a cross company move, but he was Cobra's guy for a while. I am wondering if IJP is next to make that move.

Isnt stuff like this public info anway? I could very well be wrong.....just wondering

Its really just not their business model according to them.

I don't get it. Why would you not go after one of the players who's in the spotlight a little more? I'm sure they have the money, and I'm sure they'd like to sell more clubs.

What is their business model then?

Cobra and Titleist are the same company. Oglivy switching from Cobra to Titleist is really no big deal. If anything it is a statement by the company (Fortune Brands I think) that Oglivy is in the elite players category.

While they are the same parent company, they are still viewed as different golf lines. The same reason that FJ jumped in and had to pay big money to get Ogilvy to wear their shoes since he was with Puma.

I dont get the elite players thought? Acushnet and more specifically Titleist pays more players than any other company in the world to use their golf equipment. By quite a wide margin.

I don't get it. Why would you not go after one of the players who's in the spotlight a little more? I'm sure they have the money, and I'm sure they'd like to sell more clubs.

What is their business model then?

There are a lot of companies that choose not to sponsor a ton of players. Heck it was Nike for a long time and they slowly chose who they would sponsor. I do not know their exact business model but the way it was described by us was "carefully selecting talent based on ours and their needs and continuing to make some of the best equipment in the world".

There are a lot of companies that choose not to sponsor a ton of players. Heck it was Nike for a long time and they slowly chose who they would sponsor. I do not know their exact business model but the way it was described by us was "carefully selecting talent based on ours and their needs and continuing to make some of the best equipment in the world".

I don't want to see them sponsor a lot of players but why not target an elite one? It couldn't hurt. I think that Luke Donald can be elite but that wrist surgery seemed to set him back.

I don't want to see them sponsor a lot of players but why not target an elite one? It couldn't hurt. I think that Luke Donald can be elite but that wrist surgery seemed to set him back.

Elite players cost a whole lot of money. Companies like Mizuno, Bridgestone, and many others do not pay a lot of players. And lets be honest, who is out there for them to sponsor?

Elite players cost a whole lot of money. Companies like Mizuno, Bridgestone, and many others do not pay a lot of players. And lets be honest, who is out there for them to sponsor?

why not target a nick watney or a chris wood or a ross fisher? go after a guy who's more than likely going to make a little noise in 2010. i'm sure it costs more to go after an elite player but i would assume that mizuno had the money to do so. any idea if mizuno ever thought about getting into the shoe game in the industry? they make great shoes for softball/baseball.

why not target a nick watney or a chris wood or a ross fisher? go after a guy who's more than likely going to make a little noise in 2010. i'm sure it costs more to go after an elite player but i would assume that mizuno had the money to do so. any idea if mizuno ever thought about getting into the shoe game in the industry? they make great shoes for softball/baseball.

Those guys are all under contract and have been for quite some time with another company. They are in the shoe game overseas. They sell their sneaker line in the US, but not their golf shoes. They can be had online, but for a hefty price.

Companies have to maximize areas where they can make money. Jumping into shoes when the likes of FJ, Adidas, Nike, PUMA, and ECCO are all heavily involved would not bode well for their success.

Back