Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

I'd love to hear from someone who has spent time with the TM Speedblades and these Callaway Apex. They are the top two on my ponder list

Posted this in the wrong thread, so I'm copying here in the right thread:

Shockingly, they had a few 6 irons in the fitting cart today at the Albany, NY Golf Galaxy. I haven't swung a club in 2.5 weeks, but I couldn't stop myself. I grabbed 3: an F4 (stiff) flex recoil shafted, a PX95 Regular and a PX95 Stiff. I only took a few swings with each, but had by far the best results with the PX95 Stiff shafted iron. Most of these numbers mean nothing to me, but this was the best of the bunch.
eveqy3y8.jpg

I will definitely be bringing my SpeedBlade in for a little head-to-head.

Yes forgiveness,feel,distance,dispersion. I have s300 in my i20's

Hope these links work (I think I'm doing it right), but I touched on it these posts. To sum up, distance is very similar, Apex maybe be slightly longer but not by much. Dispersion is better with the Apex--I attribute that to less spin being paired with the KBS Tour V. Forgiveness--the i20s are less penalizing on distance loss on fat and thin shot, but I am not missing the it left nearly as badly with the Apex. Feel, the i20s feel a little softer but I really like the feeling and sound of the Apex when I hit it well.

I'm also working on a write-up, and will talk about it there, but didn't want to keep you waiting too long on that.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?50805-Callaway-Apex-Irons-Review-Thread&p=2609850&viewfull=1#post2609850

[url]http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?50805-Callaway-Apex-Irons-Review-Thread&p=2609850&viewfull=1#post2609850

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=2609850&viewfull=1#post2609850
[/URL]

Thank you for the info!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Official Review

Official Review

I've been able to get out a few times since my last write-up, and I finally have a few quiet minutes to get my thoughts organized, so here it goes.

I've had a fair number of PMs and questions in this thread regarding how the Apex/Pros compare to my i20s, so I figured that's a good place to get my ramble on. I think they kind of fall into the same category of a forgiving players type iron that has great distance, and since they are the only iron I have spent an extended time with the last year and half, it's a natural place to start.

Yesterday was the first day I brought my Pings out with me since getting the Apex. I brought along my PW, 7, and 3 iron and spent most of my time on the range alternating between the Apex and the Pings. As noted earlier, ball flight with the Apex is lower and more penetrating. The i20 ball flight seems to rise really fast and then fall down to earth--no problem with that except when it's windy or when I put a little too much draw on the ball as it just seems to make my miss left that much worse. Dispersion was good with both sets and I was pleased with the way I was striking the ball.

I also played 18 and was able to better compare distance on the course. Anyway, one of my favorite things about my Pings is the forgiveness of the long irons. I learned that with a nice, easy swing the Ping long irons are a great weapon to have in the bag. I feel like I don't have to put a great swing on it to get the ball going where it needs to be. On shots hit lower on the club face, there is not much of distance loss. I think a lot my confidence with the i20s come from being familiar with the club. I've hit plenty of range balls with the long irons and I expect to have the same confidence with the Apex before too long.

On the first hole I hit both 3 irons off the tee and the i20 was about ten yards longer and right down the middle. I hit the Apex a bit thin and left but it was still in the fairway. It was really good result for as bag of a swing I felt like I put on the Apex. I took my Apex 5 iron off the tee on number 3, a short par 4 dog leg left and hit a great one. The ball felt like it was exploding off the face and I was rewarded with a nice, high right to left controlled ball flight. I used my Apex 3 iron off the tee on 7 and 9 (didn't have time to use pull my Ping for comparison) both shots were long, hit flush and right down the middle. Feeling like I was in a groove and having time, I decided to hit both my Ping and Apex off the tee on the par 4 13. With a slight tailwind, I figured this was an opportunity to go for it. Both were struck very well, both with a high, very minimal draw. If I had to guess, the i20 had more hang time. I GPS measured the Ping to 235, the Apex to 241 (the same type of ball was used). I pulled the 3 iron one more time on 16 and hit another solid one GPS measured to 232. I didn't see hardly any roll out on tee shots yesterday due to wet fairways.

Pic of the tee shots on 13. The Apex edged out the i20. Shockingly, both are right down the middle:
IMG_1270_zps88e0ecf6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

On 17, I found myself at a nice distance for a 7 iron, so decided to hit a few extra and compare the i20 to the Apex. Distance-wise it was a wash. I hit one left with my Apex which flew a little longer, blocked on with Ping but all the others were hit pretty straight and landed close to one another. Again, ball flight was a little lower and closer to an ideal height for my game with Apex.

I feel like this one was a bit rambling, so my apologies. Thanks for reading and please don't hesitate to ask any questions!

Awesome review Jeff/John. Hammering that 3i like it's your job.

Awesome review Jeff/John. Hammering that 3i like it's your job.

Thanks, man. It' such a nice option to have. Easy to hit off the deck too.

Thanks, man. It' such a nice option to have. Easy to hit off the deck too.
I do like the 4i, I have. A 3i is intriguing, but I would hurt something trying to hit that one.

I do like the 4i, I have. A 3i is intriguing, but I would hurt something trying to hit that one.

With the 4i loft similar to most 3i, a 3i in the apex necessary? Interesting for sure.

Has anyone hit these in the xp95 AND the tour v and able to compare?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Great review Jeff although I personally have no business hitting a 3iron!

Thanks for the review Jeff - good work.

BTW, what course is that, the hole is awfully familiar.

Thanks for the review Jeff - good work.

BTW, what course is that, the hole is awfully familiar.

Thanks, man.

It's Magnolia Greens in Leland, NC.

Great writeup JeffJohn, glad to see you are seeing some early success with the combo set. You are a man amongst boys crushing that 3I

27 holes right? I thinking I've played there a few times at the start of MB trips. I used to live in Cary, NC (outside Raleigh).

That's the one. It's fun layout and usually not too crowded. They have a great practice facility--the best public one that I know one in the area.

I plan on spending a lot of time on the range there with the Apex.

That's the one. It's fun layout and usually not too crowded. They have a great practice facility--the best public one that I know one in the area.

I plan on spending a lot of time on the range there with the Apex.

Enjoy - fun course

Just finished all 17 pages and my credit card is screaming to get out of my wallet. After playing Tour Prototype Musclebacks with KBS Tour shafts for the last 2 years, these will be a big change for me. Since I'm not playing any where as much as I used to, I'm really looking for the extra forgiveness that these will offer.

I don't recall reading if anyone had compared the KBS Tour to the new XP95 shaft though. I love the ball flight my current set up gives me and would like to keep it the same. I'm just curious if the XP95 with the higher launching head will launch it to high. Being a lefty, I don't have any place near me that has one to test out yet.

Just finished all 17 pages and my credit card is screaming to get out of my wallet. After playing Tour Prototype Musclebacks with KBS Tour shafts for the last 2 years, these will be a big change for me. Since I'm not playing any where as much as I used to, I'm really looking for the extra forgiveness that these will offer.

I don't recall reading if anyone had compared the KBS Tour to the new XP95 shaft though. I love the ball flight my current set up gives me and would like to keep it the same. I'm just curious if the XP95 with the higher launching head will launch it to high. Being a lefty, I don't have any place near me that has one to test out yet.

I hit the XP95 briefly in Orlando, so I don't have a ton of experience with it. I remember the ball flight with the XP being higher for me and not as flat as the KBS Tour V. I didn't think the XP was ballooning though.

I hit the XP95 briefly in Orlando, so I don't have a ton of experience with it. I remember the ball flight with the XP being higher for me and not as flat as the KBS Tour V. I didn't think the XP was ballooning though.

My thoughts as well. The XP95 were closer to the kbs 90s for me than the kbs tours

My thoughts as well. The XP95 were closer to the kbs 90s for me than the kbs tours

I agree with mike on that comparison. Same for me.

Thanks guys. That kind of make be want to go with the stock shaft and try something different. Worst case is I just swap shafts from my current set.

Apex versus G25

Apex versus G25

I have had the Apex on Trackman extensively versus a G25 - really did not see any distance gain with the Apex and forgiveness for my miss (toe) was notably better with the G25s. Interestingly feel was better with the G25s for me.

I found this test of irons yesterday with launch and distance data comparing multiple new irons, Apex came out on top, the G25 is part of the group tested. I'm gaming the G25 irons now and have switched to Apex (I ordered them last week). I found the Apex in the recoil graphite to be 2 to 3 yards longer than the G25 in steel I've been playing. Lost in this thread is how good this new Recoil shaft from UST is. They claim it's better than steel, it's the actual shaft UST makes, not a junkie "made for" shaft...I got the 660 F3....can't wait to get them on the course.

http://www.golfmagic.com/equipment-...est-game-improvement-irons-2014/17698-12.html

Hit these tonight and walked away with mixed emotions. Absolutely great feeling club and Cally certainly has a winner in these.

I was hitting a stiff shafted club where I normally go regular. My 6 iron distance tonight was averiging 160 but roll out was giving me 180 -183 range. I asked the sales rep how the heck do I stop it. Perhaps a reg shaft will get higher launch and spin with less roll out. Will have to try it.

Very good club and matching stock shaft. I predict these will be one of the top two selling irons for 2014.

TapAhoy!

Man I really need to hit the kbs tour v shaft in these. My local golfsmith did not have them in... maybe I need to make the 1 hr drive down to pga store...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back