When is it time for new clubs?

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
When do you know its time for new clubs? I've been playing with my set since July! The grooves are fine, the grips and shafts are fine!

If you're like some people around here (sorry scooter, I gotta use you as an example!), when you change the calendar to the next month you are probably a week or more overdue! hehehe

I think it is purely subjective. For your game and where you describe where it is, I would say not yet. I would tell you to wait until your swing is a little more "grooved" and then get fitted for a set that is in tune with that swing.

I think it is purely subjective. For your game and where you describe where it is, I would say not yet. I would tell you to wait until your swing is a little more "grooved" and then get fitted for a set that is in tune with that swing.

That's what I was thinking, its still too soon for me yet to even start thinking about new clubs. But its a nice thought though and I can start saving my pennies for them :)

yup! what he said!

I'd agree and say wait till it all works better. I'm finally upgrading from my initial set I bought 9 or 10 years ago.

I'd agree and say wait till it all works better. I'm finally upgrading from my initial set I bought 9 or 10 years ago.

Clubs will last that long?

Unfortunately yes the clubs last that long. I am still using a set of 845's that I got around 15 years ago and I bought those used. My Dad, Uncle and Grandpa are still all shooting Ping Eye 2 Irons. I don't know when those came out but it has been quite awhile ago.

Clubs will last that long?

Clubs will last a while if you maintain them. I have been stubbornly cheap until now. I also didn't play a whole lot (except for the one summer I golfed every day after work). During the 9 or 10 years, I probably averaged 3-4 rounds a month from April to October. I'm ready to frequent the course more, so I decided to make an investment in my sanity and get some new equipment.

I still have some of my grandpa's clubs that are so old that the irons don't have grooves. I used them for my first couple of outings, but they weren't good to me.

My Dad, Uncle and Grandpa are still all shooting Ping Eye 2 Irons. I don't know when those came out but it has been quite awhile ago.

The Eye 2 irons were introduced in the early 80's. I only know because my old set was a generic version of the Eye 2. Irons can last as long as they are cared for and they still work for you.

It's time for new clubs when you lust for other than you have.But like all things sometimes that lust once fullfilled is a disappointment.Unless they are broken or used beyond being playable or you can't hit them no matter what you try it's problely a safer bet to dance with the one that brought you.

The Eye 2 irons were introduced in the early 80's. I only know because my old set was a generic version of the Eye 2. Irons can last as long as they are cared for and they still work for you.
I have a set that look as good as new.PING makes some pretty durable irons.

The 845's are a timeless classic...

I'm with the others on waiting until you find your groove, you've got pretty decent clubs for now. You may also solicit the advice of your teaching pro, and see what her thoughts are.

I just switched after having a set that lasted through summer but i got my irons for cheap!

A lot of things can go into deciding when its time for new clubs.
If you have suddenly lost confidence in a club, it may be time to more on. Sometimes when you begin to struggle with a certain club, it creates such a mental block that its helpful to try something new. Many people find this is true especially with putters.
If you are playing a set of GI or SGI clubs and have reached the point where you are hitting the ball pretty solidly, you may want to look at getting more of a player's cavity back that would give you more feedback and more shotshaping ability. This is the reason why I went from Mizuno MX-15s to Titleist DCI 981s. Id reached the point where I wanted something with more feedback and the Mizunos simply felt the same no matter where I hit the ball on the clubface.
Another reason is wear. If you wear out the grooves of a wedge or crack the face of a wood; its time for something new.

If you have a beginners set that isn't suited to your game. A real fitted set can do wonders! Wait to you have a legitimate swing that you are happy with, and like JB said get some fit to that swing.

The 845's are a timeless classic...

I'm with the others on waiting until you find your groove, you've got pretty decent clubs for now. You may also solicit the advice of your teaching pro, and see what her thoughts are.

+1....they were the set that I learned on. Loved that set...still have them as a backup set for someone who doesn't have clubs but wants to hit around.

For me it is when I wake up one morning and just decide I need a new set of clubs. No rhyme or reason to it. I just need new clubs. I know I am not going to play any better or worse with them, but I just need new clubs.

Last time there was reason now that I think about it. My wife had just purchased new furniture for the home, which I paid for.:banghead: Next morning I woke up, and knew that I needed a new set of irons.

Actually my irons last me between 2-4 years. My woods last maybe 2 years. It just depends how long the quality holds up with all the playing, and practicing I do, which for the most part is usually played on not so divot friendly turf. BTW, I play a very high quality set of clubs. :clapp:

Dont listen to me.

I've only been golfing 10 weeks now and I'm already on my second set of irons.

Bought a set of Mizuno MX-1000's first and before I ever had the chance to play them I ordered a set of Taylormade Burner 09's.

The mizuno's were great clubs but I really liked the Burners. The mizunos were an impulse buy off of ebay but luckily I was able to sell them for exactly what I paid so no loss of money.

Oh wait I did buy a Mizuno visor to wear when playing with those clubs which I never wore and threw in with the irons when I sold them. So I'm out one visor.

Yes I'm a poser that looks like I should be on tour but cant make a 3 ft put. I've come to grips with it though.

Dont listen to me.

I've only been golfing 10 weeks now and I'm already on my second set of irons.

Bought a set of Mizuno MX-1000's first and before I ever had the chance to play them I ordered a set of Taylormade Burner 09's.

Scooter? hehehe

Scooter?

Dont think I get it

Some people go through multiple sets of irons a year: they just like to have new equipment. Others will hold on to the same irons for 20+ years, for example the Ping Eye 2's.

Believe it or not, iron technology hasn't changed that much since the Eye 2's came out in 1984. Nothing beats a good swing. :)

Scooter?

Dont think I get it

There is a member on here called "scooter" that would do stuff like that. New clubs every month/week/day/hour/minute :D

My answer to the question of when to get new irons.......Whenever you want to. It's your money. The advice JB gave about waiting is sound though.

I had an old set of knock off Cleveland clubs that I played with when I used to play about 10yrs ago. I then took about 3yrs off and when i got back into the game I realized that technology had improved greatly so I thought about it and decided that I would invest money into a decent, though not very expensive, set of irons and then imrpove my woods as well. I think we all agree and accept alot of this game is mental and when I finally decided on the Adams I currently play with it was that after swinging a wide variety of clubs, these felt best to me and I was more comfortable as I stood over the ball. That is huge to me, and will probably be the reason I buy my next set of irons, whenever that will be. I am comfortable when I go to hit the shot, now I might not hit it perfect ever time but that will come in time. Along the same lines it is why I now use two Niblicks for my short game versus normal wedges but I wont go into that here I have done so on other threads.

I hope this has helped.

I've still got my 'ol set of '96 Big Bertha irons that I got brand new as a graduation gift. They're still in great shape, just a lot of cleaning and the occasional re-grip. I upgraded to a newer set last spring because I wanted a switch to steel shafts for a few different reasons, but my old set is still as playable as the day they were made.

Back