ClubCorp - Thoughts?

Is yours a private club or semi private with annual fee?

just semi-private. No real social aspect.
the one I am looking at for next year is a little different, though I doubt I will make the jump to it.

This is an area that I am struggling with right now, trying to figure out if it is worth it for me to have a membership at an local golf course vs. just playing different golf courses throughout the playing season. With our season being at best 7-8 months, I am trying to justify it for myself.

I am a member at Eagles Landing in Atlanta which is part of the ClubCorp family. I love it

FWIW, I just joined a ClubCorp club that is 2 miles from home. For me, the biggest benefits are time and traffic related. The nearest decent public range is still 10+ minutes away and requires a bridge crossing that is a choke point during any sort of high traffic time. If there's ever an accident on or near that bridge, forget it. That has happened about a half dozen times in the 7+ years I've lived here, and it makes life a living hell in the area. The club I joined is on my side of the bridge and only 4 stop signs away. Unlimited range time, a *real* short game practice area (complete with maintained bunkers and green) and a separate putting green that is also well maintained are a major plus. Unlimited greens fees are a big deal, too. It means I can play a full 18, or either side of that 18 (or 3 or 12 or however many I have time for) whenever is convenient. Public courses around here don't publish 9-hole rates (if they even offer them) and not having to worry about wasting money on a round I couldn't finish is a very good thing. Of course that comes with any full golf membership anywhere, but it was a major factor in deciding to join.

As for the ClubCorp-specific things, so far I like what I am seeing. Great discounts on everything from travel to dining. Free sporting event tickets on occasion (I just picked up 4 tickets for this weekend's Stars game for a total of $6 in processing fees). Lots of other privileges that come with their "ONE" membership. Two rounds per month at local participating clubs for cart fee only. Those are only valid Sunday noon through Friday noon, but we also get preferred greens fees for weekend rounds at those courses and a lot of others. For example, a local public course that is normally $99 for green+cart on Saturday morning is $79 as a ONE member. We get access to private clubs like Gleneagles and Las Colinas Country Club, albeit at a pretty high access cost... but those are elite clubs that many will never get to play.

I might have a different opinion once I've had time to really put this ONE thing through its paces, but for now I think there is a lot of good stuff going on there.

There's only 1 Club Corp property in KC, Nicklaus Golf Club at Lionsgate, it's private and membership is invitation only. I've been able to play it many times, not sure if I'd want to be a member there. The course is fantastic and always in good shape. The practice facility is top notch, but interestingly enough the course can play pretty easy when there is no wind. Really wide fairways and big greens, the only defense is the elevation change, mounded greens and bunkering. Jack designed it like a links course, no trees to speak of and lots of native grass. Still a great track though.

Looking into ClubCorp up by me in NJ. They have Cherry Valley CC listed which is only 20mins from my house. Would love to be able to play there.

Great Info! I had no idea there was a deal like this available in Tampa. When I get back there I will check this out. Thanks THPers!!

Great Info! I had no idea there was a deal like this available in Tampa. When I get back there I will check this out. Thanks THPers!!

Tread carefully. I opted out quickly and it was a fight. Slow slow slow slow slow. 5somes allowed every day of the week.

Tread carefully. I opted out quickly and it was a fight. Slow slow slow slow slow. 5somes allowed every day of the week.

That's insane.

5somes allowed at oakmont, too... but frowned upon. I've played behind some twosomes at public courses that were holding up the whole course, though. it's not always the number of players.

5somes allowed at oakmont, too... but frowned upon. I've played behind some twosomes at public courses that were holding up the whole course, though. it's not always the number of players.

Sure isnt. But it certainly doesnt help the odds.

Good to know. I might just stick with weekday rounds on base after work and weekends use paradise golf like I have been.

ClubCorp courses are definitely not all managed the same. I have played Tampa Palms twice and it was extremely slow both times, not a lot of coordination/effort to alleviate the issue. Also have played in Jax and other places where it was definitely bustling and seemed very busy but pace was never a problem, and the staff was more present and involved. Having said that, even my worst ClubCorp experience is light years better than playing at any public course on a weekend.

ClubCorp courses are definitely not all managed the same. I have played Tampa Palms twice and it was extremely slow both times, not a lot of coordination/effort to alleviate the issue. Also have played in Jax and other places where it was definitely bustling and seemed very busy but pace was never a problem, and the staff was more present and involved. Having said that, even my worst ClubCorp experience is light years better than playing at any public course on a weekend.

That must be geography based. Because to give you an example, there are at least 5 courses with in 5 miles of where we live that are all better experiences than the Club Corp clubs we were members of in Tampa. And in Tampa, TPC Tampa is lightyears better staff wise than Club Corp was.

I have a feeling its based on the clientele that they are after.

Looking into ClubCorp up by me in NJ. They have Cherry Valley CC listed which is only 20mins from my house. Would love to be able to play there.

Got all the info last night. Way out of my price range.

our course here (Yellowstone Country Club) is a Club Corp. member....I travel a LOT for work, and it affords me some fantastic opportunities to play courses while travelling...

Bumping this thread. ClubCorps has purchased the Sequoia/Canongate Golf Group. I'm interested to see how this impacts my membership.

I'm glad to see of the programs that allow play at other ClubCorps courses. That is what first attracted me to Canongate with 22 clubs in the metro Atlanta area.

Not happy to see pace of play concerns at some of these. Rangering is already a weakness at many of the Canongate courses on weekends. Doesn't sound like this will improve under ClubCorps.

Thanks for bumping it as I've been interested in ClubCorp. I belong to the Missouri Athletic Club and it launched a ClubCorp option in spring and currently is waiving the initiation fee. It's only $50/month, but there are no courses in the St. Louis area. Unfortunately, I don't travel to places that are part of the network and it looks like after reading a few of these threads, I really won't get much if anything out of my membership. Now that you mentioned pace of play concerns, I am definitely not interested.

I am a part of a ClubCorp Private Club in Atlanta and pace of play is definitely not an issue. During peak I play at 4 hours and off peak I can play in less that 3 hours. I have played many ClubCorp clubs over the years and I can't remember playing anywhere when the round was more than 4 1/2 hours so I am not sure about the pace of play comment. I know Cannongate has a pace of play issue but I believe it is due to volume of play. everyone has to wait at the buffet line when there are a lot of people if you know what I mean. I have been a part of ClubCorp in two different states over 15 years and I would tell anyone to ClubCorp clubs are the best especially if you can travel. The cart fee golf and free meals I have enjoyed on the road have been incredible.

I am a part of a ClubCorp Private Club in Atlanta and pace of play is definitely not an issue. During peak I play at 4 hours and off peak I can play in less that 3 hours. I have played many ClubCorp clubs over the years and I can't remember playing anywhere when the round was more than 4 1/2 hours so I am not sure about the pace of play comment. I know Cannongate has a pace of play issue but I believe it is due to volume of play. everyone has to wait at the buffet line when there are a lot of people if you know what I mean. I have been a part of ClubCorp in two different states over 15 years and I would tell anyone to ClubCorp clubs are the best especially if you can travel. The cart fee golf and free meals I have enjoyed on the road have been incredible.

I think it's hit or miss. Currently live in a community that has a private CC track and we are members for the proximity. The club is probably over subscribed and can get busy on the weekends. What is enjoyable is the access to clubs around the country for no more then a cart fee. I was in Scottsdale recently and in a round at Gainey Ranch which as in great condition on a beautiful day - played with a member in 2:50 for $18.

I think it's hit or miss. Currently live in a community that has a private CC track and we are members for the proximity. The club is probably over subscribed and can get busy on the weekends. What is enjoyable is the access to clubs around the country for no more then a cart fee. I was in Scottsdale recently and in a round at Gainey Ranch which as in great condition on a beautiful day - played with a member in 2:50 for $18.
I looked at joining Gainey Ranch - there are over 1000 members, the resort across the street has access to the course, there are a bunch of tournaments there, and the monthly is as high as other clubs.
Also, given the competition, I did not think the course was all that great, although I did not play all three 9's.

I looked at joining Gainey Ranch - there are over 1000 members, the resort across the street has access to the course, there are a bunch of tournaments there, and the monthly is as high as other clubs.
Also, given the competition, I did not think the course was all that great, although I did not play all three 9's.

Fair comments - I wouldn't join there but having the Club Corp membership it was good to slip in a quick round. The member I played with said he rarely plays in over 3:30. Nice conditions, membership felt "seasoned".

I grew up working, and later joining, a few CCA (now ClubCorp) courses. They sure were good about good member service back then, and I've heard that they are still that way.

It's been my (admittedly limited) experience that American Golf, and other similar organizations, are all profit-oriented establishments that don't seem to give a damn about the members.

Back