Cleveland Smart-Square Putter Review

Im thinking of getting this putter, but I have no idea about how to choose the right length for putters. Im 180cm tall so for other clubs standard length is fine with me. Is there something else to consider with putters? Im a high handicapper and dont really have a clear putting technique yet (plan to get one next season :) )so im not really worried about messing up my putting, im more worried about getting the wrong length for my hight.

Short and simple, what putter length (for the smart square) would you recomend for someone my hight?

Im thinking of getting this putter, but I have no idea about how to choose the right length for putters. Im 180cm tall so for other clubs standard length is fine with me. Is there something else to consider with putters? Im a high handicapper and dont really have a clear putting technique yet (plan to get one next season :) )so im not really worried about messing up my putting, im more worried about getting the wrong length for my hight.

Short and simple, what putter length (for the smart square) would you recomend for someone my hight?

I'm just a hair taller than you and I love 34" putters. However, I think it has more to do with your putting stance/technique than your height. You could go 35" and always cut it down (or even lengthen) if you settle on a technique that would require shaft adjustment.

Thanks, I did not even consider the option of cutting it down. Simple answers to simple problems :) I have to buy it online as there are no really good golfstores here so I wount get to try different lengths before I buy. Il go for 34 or 35 then.

I thought you putted pretty well at El Dorado with the SS. It was a tough putting course. Especially if you had to chut into most of the greens like did.

I was lucky enough to only 3 putt #1 (stupid slope), but none of them were real easy.

Our greens weren't that tough.....LOL! Actually, I talked to some guys that played that day and they commented how slow the greens were compared to a few weeks ago. LOL! Some of the greens were brutal on Saturday. I really think to putt well on our greens you need a putter that has a good alignment aid and good feel in your hands. Did you and Swift think the alignment aid helped more or the feel of the putter face helped more for these greens?

Tons of success around here with this club. I'm loving it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tons of success around here with this club. I'm loving it

Good to hear! It is an awesome putter, isn't it?

I stopped in to the local Golfsmith and they had a couple of these on the putting green. Rolled about 15 balls with and it felt pretty good. Even the mishits stayed on line and really didn't lose any speed. Super nice feel and weight. I would like to see this in a counterbalance set up like the Scotty Futura X or TM Daddy Long Legs, though. I think that would be a killer set up.
The Almost Belly version of this one is pretty sweet. Mine is 35" and playing at 400g, and I love the heft that it has. I am extending it up to 36.5" tomorrow, and adding a larger grip on to it and think it will be just about as perfect setup as I can get.

I'm going to have track one of these down to give a roll....just don't tell my SeeMores.

I'm going to have track one of these down to give a roll....just don't tell my SeeMores.
My Smart Square gets along just fine with my SeeMores. :alien:

Actually rolled a few putts while at Dicks yesterday with the SmartSquare. Initial feel...amazing. Think Santa might just be putting one of these under the Christmas Tree for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually rolled a few putts while at Dicks yesterday with the SmartSquare. Initial feel...amazing. Think Santa might just be putting one of these under the Christmas Tree for me!

A 2-ball convert? Nice!

How did it compare to your 2-ball? Any contrasting thoughts?

A 2-ball convert? Nice!

How did it compare to your 2-ball? Any contrasting thoughts?

Set up compared to the two ball...significantly different. Much easier. I have always had issues with leaving the ball on the low side, representing an alignment discrepancy. Probably put in about 20-30 mins and honestly can say not one on the low side. 80% dead center. Weight of the putter felt great didn't even notice a change. Compared to the two-ball it is slight larger. I haven't even looked at weight difference between the two if any. Time to pass some time and look at comparisons.

Set up compared to the two ball...significantly different. Much easier. I have always had issues with leaving the ball on the low side, representing an alignment discrepancy. Probably put in about 20-30 mins and honestly can say not one on the low side. 80% dead center. Weight of the putter felt great didn't even notice a change. Compared to the two-ball it is slight larger. I haven't even looked at weight difference between the two if any. Time to pass some time and look at comparisons.

Thats good stuff, bro. I never jived well with the 2-ball putters, as I just didnt like looking down at it and never really saw it as a benefit in the alignment part of my putting stroke. However, with the Smart Square and the Dual-Axis alignment aide, I find that the lines of the squares just make it quite simple to set myself up at address prior to putting.

Thats good stuff, bro. I never jived well with the 2-ball putters, as I just didnt like looking down at it and never really saw it as a benefit in the alignment part of my putting stroke. However, with the Smart Square and the Dual-Axis alignment aide, I find that the lines of the squares just make it quite simple to set myself up at address prior to putting.

I'm just going to start saying "ditto" after all your posts in here.

Its just scary sometimes.

No doubt dude. I am extremely glad that others see the immediate success with this one, as when I started rolling it I thought to myself that it had to be some sort of unreal honeymoon phase, but the success has continued.

I have been a strictly 2-Ball putter user for +10 yrs now. The SmartSquare Dual Axis Alignment is just a no brainer when it comes to alignment. Just following along with this thread makes me believe IMO that my initial success on a carpet green can definitely translated and followed up out on a putting service.

Our greens weren't that tough.....LOL! Actually, I talked to some guys that played that day and they commented how slow the greens were compared to a few weeks ago. LOL! Some of the greens were brutal on Saturday. I really think to putt well on our greens you need a putter that has a good alignment aid and good feel in your hands. Did you and Swift think the alignment aid helped more or the feel of the putter face helped more for these greens?
Can't speak for Swifty & his Smart Square, but alignment aids always trump face feel for me. If I can line a putter up on the right line consistently, I don't care what it feels like coming off the face.

In the case of these greens I liked both on this putter--honestly I tried the standard length and did not like the feel of it like I do this heavier CB version. Again, I would say I putted decent that day--I lost way too many strokes on the way to the greens though :angry:

I rolled a few with one of these at golf galaxy the other night, and it didn't feel that great.. not so sure about the squares either..

Can't speak for Swifty & his Smart Square, but alignment aids always trump face feel for me. If I can line a putter up on the right line consistently, I don't care what it feels like coming off the face.

This is a really good point. Seeing the ball drop in the hole trumps feel and misses.

Good thoughts here. I was a two ball guy and this looks to be a very logical improvement on that system. I really can't wait to roll this

Tried one at Dicks the other day. The alignment system is great, but the feel is way off. Just couldn't get a good, accurate roll out of it.

Tried one at Dicks the other day. The alignment system is great, but the feel is way off. Just couldn't get a good, accurate roll out of it.

If you did not already try it--try the Almost belly version--the heavier club and head really make a big difference to me--I did not like the feel on the standard length either although some love it.

Ditto. If you notice through all the posts that all the testers have agreed on everything. War Eagle is spot on with everything about this club

For my third round in a row I've not putted well. It's certainly not the Smart Square itself and just my own head getting in the way. Had two 3-putts yesterday. But mentally I've become very very tentative on lag putts lately. I left several short by 6 to 12 feet yesterday. Again not the Smart Square just my own head full of rocks messing me up.

Without the Smart Square I think the putting round would have been far worse. Made three 2-putt saves from around 8 feet after poor first efforts. Also made two other solid 6-8 footers for 1 putts. Alignment is rock solid and the ball is rolling over my short and intermediate lines.

Got to get over this mental block I'm in on good putt speed. First several weeks of this testing I didn't have that happening.

Back