Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Wednesday after work I hit the range again with my combo set of Apexes. This particular post will focus on the 3-7i regulars. Generally on Wednesday evenings, there is the same usual crowd of folks out hitting balls. I hadn't been out on a Wednesday for several weeks what with the holidays, the new job and the side job getting in the way. I was able to hand a couple of the clubs over to some people I'm familiar with to get their reactions to add to my own.

Soft. The word of the night was soft. One of the gentlemen who hit the 6i was a young guy who is immensely talented. A few of us just stood around watching him lay down swings that were perfectly balanced, and he was crushing the Apex. He seemed equally impressed with the feel and feedback, as well as the looks. Another note from the guys hitting the clubs were the KBS Tour-V 110 shafts, and how much they liked the ball flight. Not ballooning, but piercing and allowing for a steep decent.

I wasn't having quite the ball striking night I would have liked, as I seemed to be putting a lot of lazy swings out and was collapsing everything, hitting well behind the ball. When I could muster up the fortitude to relax and cleanly strike the ball, my efforts were welcomed with the familiar pillow sound of the ball being smacked in the center of the face and exploding towards the intended target. As per usual, with well struck shots, the ball flights straight on whatever path you start it on, but I have found with exagerating my face angle and swing path to work the ball. How much movement isn't yet predictable, but that will come with more time swinging these clubs. I'm still incredibly impressed with every aspect of these irons. The only question is: Will the new wear off? I don't think it will, and for the time being my J40 DPCs have been replaced.

I'm going to go hit some more today, but I feel like I'm getting similar, or better, yardages from my Cells on some clubs, but not all of them. It doesn't make since to me really. I can't tell if I'm still trying to groove myself into them, or what, but my mid irons seem to be acting pretty normal, but I feel like I'm not quite getting the distances I expected on 9-AW, and even the 5 iron. Conversely, and confusingly, I'm smashing the 4 iron, a club I haven't bagged in a year.

My thoughts as well. The XP95 were closer to the kbs 90s for me than the kbs tours

I had a tough time maintaining my tempo with the lighter shaft. I'm sure the swing weight had something to do with it as well. Looking forward to these showing up on my door step the middle of next week. Too bad it'll be all sim golf until march. But that just gives me time to more acquainted with these wonderful irons.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

I had a tough time maintaining my tempo with the lighter shaft. I'm sure the swing weight had something to do with it as well. Looking forward to these showing up on my door step the middle of next week. Too bad it'll be all sim golf until march. But that just gives me time to more acquainted with these wonderful irons.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

You and me both, with the exception of Florida in jan I'm all indoors

Today is launch day for the Apex at PGA SS here in Georgia. I plan to go down and demo these beauties this morning. I really hope they have some demo clubs with the Recoil shaft. Sounds like a sweet combination.

SUPPORTING THP’S DREAM TEAM IN THE #GRANDADDY
Hawk, AtlGolfer, GregDan, Pkielwa, jlukes, TexasHacker34, tpluff, TR2GRN18​

Today is launch day for the Apex at PGA SS here in Georgia. I plan to go down and demo these beauties this morning. I really hope they have some demo clubs with the Recoil shaft. Sounds like a sweet combination.

Ken, I don't think you can go wrong with these and I think you are going to like what you see!!! The feel absolutely amazing!!

My set, 5 through SW, in UST Recoil graphite, comes Monday - I have the tracking number!!!!!! Can't wait

I bet u like the xp95 as well

Great write ups everyone!

Jeff you are a monster with that 3i and fabulous write up.

Toad your results pertaining to distance is interesting since you seemed to be grabbing the right club when we played and your yardages seemed good taking the cold in to consideration. Glad your able to game and smash the 4i.

Really like the looks at address. Gonna have to give them a shot when Mike gets them out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My set, 5 through SW, in UST Recoil graphite, comes Monday - I have the tracking number!!!!!! Can't wait

Looking forward to hear thoughts about the recoil shafts. I'm not as familiar with these as the xp95 and kbs offerings.

First off I would like to say thanks to THP and Callaway for the opportunity to be able to test these AMAZING irons. I was fitted for the Apex irons 5-AW with the XP95 regular shafts. Now that I have been able to get quite a few rounds with them in and get them dialed in, they have truly improved my game. I have been playing the Ping G20 irons for the last 1.5 years and I don't think I have ever hit those as consistently as I have with the Apex's. They are just a joy to hit. On mishits there hasn't been any really harsh feeling like I use to get with the Ping's which is a nice bonus. The Apex's also seem to get the ball in the air a lot easier which and launch higher, I really like that since it seems to create a lot more spin hitting into greens. As for the distance I would say they are about the same or just a hair longer than my Ping's. The other part that I have really enjoyed is I am able to hit my 5 & 6 iron a lot more consistently which in turn has helped me score a lot better. I have lowered my handicap by 2 points already since getting these and putting them in the bag!!!! My last 4 rounds have been 84,91,83 and 83 and I owe most of it to these irons, they just give me the confidence knowing that if I take a nice smooth swing I will be rewarded for it. I am already looking to trade my Ping irons in since I don't see them ever making it back into the bag. I did try to hit my Ping's at the range the other day to see if it was my swing that had improved or not and it wasn't, I just couldn't hit them as consistently as I do the Apex's. I just love the feel,look and forgiveness of them, they just seem to have the whole package and it really surprised me since the Ping's are suppose to be a SGI/GI iron and I seem to get better shot distribution with the Apex's. One last thing I have noticed so far is the the Apex's DO NOT dig nearly as much as my G20's did which allows me to hit much cleaner and full shots. They are definitely worth checking out even if you are thinking of getting GI irons!!!!

Great write up man. Those scores you have put up lately are awesome. I can't wait until our next round so I can see these in person.

Well done mq those are solid solid scores and some quick results. Like you said they are are all around amazing irons

Hope you get a chance to hit them. Let us know how they work out for you.

Congrats, man. Keep us posted on how they work out for you.

Great write ups everyone!

Jeff you are a monster with that 3i and fabulous write up.

Toad your results pertaining to distance is interesting since you seemed to be grabbing the right club when we played and your yardages seemed good taking the cold in to consideration. Glad your able to game and smash the 4i.

Thanks. The long irons are great option off the tee. Easy to hit from the deck as well.

First off I would like to say thanks to THP and Callaway for the opportunity to be able to test these AMAZING irons. I was fitted for the Apex irons 5-AW with the XP95 regular shafts. Now that I have been able to get quite a few rounds with them in and get them dialed in, they have truly improved my game. I have been playing the Ping G20 irons for the last 1.5 years and I don't think I have ever hit those as consistently as I have with the Apex's. They are just a joy to hit. On mishits there hasn't been any really harsh feeling like I use to get with the Ping's which is a nice bonus. The Apex's also seem to get the ball in the air a lot easier which and launch higher, I really like that since it seems to create a lot more spin hitting into greens. As for the distance I would say they are about the same or just a hair longer than my Ping's. The other part that I have really enjoyed is I am able to hit my 5 & 6 iron a lot more consistently which in turn has helped me score a lot better. I have lowered my handicap by 2 points already since getting these and putting them in the bag!!!! My last 4 rounds have been 84,91,83 and 83 and I owe most of it to these irons, they just give me the confidence knowing that if I take a nice smooth swing I will be rewarded for it. I am already looking to trade my Ping irons in since I don't see them ever making it back into the bag. I did try to hit my Ping's at the range the other day to see if it was my swing that had improved or not and it wasn't, I just couldn't hit them as consistently as I do the Apex's. I just love the feel,look and forgiveness of them, they just seem to have the whole package and it really surprised me since the Ping's are suppose to be a SGI/GI iron and I seem to get better shot distribution with the Apex's. One last thing I have noticed so far is the the Apex's DO NOT dig nearly as much as my G20's did which allows me to hit much cleaner and full shots. They are definitely worth checking out even if you are thinking of getting GI irons!!!!

That is great to hear and congrats on those scores. I am also seeing better dispersion with the Apex as well. I think the Apex may be going into my bag long-term too.

Ken, I don't think you can go wrong with these and I think you are going to like what you see!!! The feel absolutely amazing!!

I bet u like the xp95 as well

Hope you get a chance to hit them. Let us know how they work out for you.

Well, I did get down there to hit these babies today. First impression is HOLY $H!T! Calloway has hit a grand slam with these! If they give an "Iron of the Year" award, this one should win it.

Got there a little after lunch and surprisingly there were only two guys just finishing up with their demos. The Callaway rep handed me a six iron with the XP95 shaft and told me to warm up a little. The very first ball I hit felt and sounded so good. The monitor said 158 yds slight pull left of target. Wait, this is a forged club. It's shouldn't feel this good, should it? My X-hot 6-iron is my 150-155 club. The majority of my shots with the Apex were 158 +/- a couple. The shortest was 148 yds. There was only one of those and I could feel that it was off the toe . I don't necessarily trust their monitors, but still, the consistency was impressive. For the next half hour or more, no one else showed up. So, I got to have a really long session with him and hit so many balls I lost count. We would chat off and on so that I didn't wear my self out. About half way through I asked if he had a graphite shaft and he said sure and gave me one with the Recoil shaft. The feel and, of course, sound was pretty much the same, but WHAT? 167 yards? Oh baby, I'm in love! I'm getting excited again just typing this.

Just a couple of general observations. I couldn't get over how great the feel at contact was with this club. It felt great even with slight off center hits. No harsh feedback, but plenty enough that I could pretty much feel where I hit it on the face, i.e. a lot off the toe (1), a little off the toe, a little inside, flush. Funny, I would tell him when I hit it and we'd watch the screen and the yardage and see that the results pretty much confirmed it. Distance--these are longer than either my X-Hots or Rocketbladez, especially with the Recoil shaft but even with the XP95's--probably 10 yards more with the graphite, 5 more with the steel. Dispersion: very tight, all slight pull left of target according to the monitor. But, I have a hard time setting up to a target in those booths, so I'm not sure that's right. But, shots were very straight.

That's how I spent my afternoon. It was certainly more fun than playing golf in the very wet conditions at the home course. I know it was just a 40-50 minute session indoors in a booth. But, I can't tell you how impressed I was with the Apex irons. Congratulations Callaway Golf.

I will endeavor to stay away from these clubs until after the TaylorMade Ultimate Club Testing in January. If their new Tour Preferred CB's are an answer to these, we should have a real club war in 2014!

Glad you are seeing the great aspects of these irons we all fell in love with in sept.

Awesome writeup, Ken. Sounds like you have a serious ponder on your hands.

Well, I did get down there to hit these babies today. First impression is HOLY $H!T! Calloway has hit a grand slam with these! If they give an "Iron of the Year" award, this one should win it.
Ken, are you saying these might put you back in the game? Seems like you might be reaching some greens from further away if you went Apex+Recoils! That's some BIG distance.

I play with a guy that is not long at all (225 driver) but is very, very consistent and probably about 4-6hdcp. I MADE him hit my 5 iron today on a par three and I think he about wet himself. In fact, we all thought he was about to ACE the hole but he just missed it. His normal club on this hole is like a 7 wood. He matched it with my Apex. :)

Having witnessed 3 of those rounds, I have to say that I've never seen you hit your irons as well as you have the past couple weeks.

Great reviews guys.

swing your swing

Ken, are you saying these might put you back in the game? Seems like you might be reaching some greens from further away if you went Apex+Recoils! That's some BIG distance.

I play with a guy that is not long at all (225 driver) but is very, very consistent and probably about 4-6hdcp. I MADE him hit my 5 iron today on a par three and I think he about wet himself. In fact, we all thought he was about to ACE the hole but he just missed it. His normal club on this hole is like a 7 wood. He matched it with my Apex. :)

Sean, it may not have sounded like it, but, I was trying to constrain my enthusiasm a little in my prior post. This was only maybe 50 balls, indoors off a mat with a six iron only. But, yes, I was very encouraged with the distance I was consistently getting based on the monitor. If that holds true throughout the set, then yes, I would be back to distances I was getting over a year ago. Kinda like turning the old man's clock back a little. We'll see though.

Kinda like turning the old man's clock back a little. We'll see though.

I would love to see that.

------------------------

OK, today was a wet, drizzly day. The sort of day that would have JB inside with the puppies.

Regardless, I'm determined to figure these things out and I got a little help today after one of the guys I play with on the regular, noticed my tempo was a bit off and he thought it was in transition; being too quick coming back from the top.

I had beat my way to a miserable 48 on the front and he decided to finally notice my situation on #11. I immediately got back on track. Once I slowed down, and made a more subtle move coming back down, I was smashing the Apex again. I actually popped a 6 iron 171 by swinging EASIER than I had been swinging. In other words, farther than I had earlier the same round. This hole was lasered at 162 and I was trying to hit a nice, smooth, easy six instead of a hard 7 to 155-160 to keep the ball below the hole. But no, I buttonflushed this thing and it just WENT. Oh, and it was nice and high and landed on a deep dive.

It was from this point forward I concentrated on a smooth tempo and easier transition. I didn't have much trouble the rest of the day and I can't wait to get back when it's actually dry. I think my last three full rounds have been Freezing cold, post-rain and damp, drizzly and wet. We haven't had much dry air lately.

Finally, another thought popped into my head today. They feel a lot like my old R11s. Not the feel of the club, but the way the club works and the shaft 'moves' and feels. I need to get these in the hands of Miller_Time soon (current possessor of my old R11s). He smokes those things, so I want to see him and the Apex.

Saturday is a "Christmas Ham" scramble and the last place team gets a dozen cans of SPAM. I need to get out after work this week and dial in the new tempo.

Got a chance to hit these today at Golf Galaxy in Orlando. Nice looking iron. Question though. How accurate are the computers used to calculate the swing variables.

Back