Current temp in Sioux Falls, SD is -12. That is NOT the wind chill factor.....that's the real temp. :bulgy-eyes:

We got down to -16 here where I live in Colorado and that wasn't even come of the coldest spot in the state. Taylor park got down to -30 and we might not see double digits today. Keep in mind that these temps are without windchill.

What's it feel like to be in -10?

-10 isnt so bad by itself, its usually the wind that comes along with it. I've been in -30*, -50 with the windchill before. The wind always seems to get though your layers, and your eyes (the only exposed part) sting, water up, and then the tears freeze on your eyelids and can start freezing your eye shut. You know the cooling sensation when you breath in Vicks Vapor rub or whatever? Times that by about 10. The cold is so cold it burns your nose, all the way down to your lungs. Oh, and the scarf you wear over your face, when you take it off, it's frozen in the shape of your face from the moisture from your breath hitting the cold.

But when you get inside for a warm cup of coffee or coco, the cold makes it so much more enjoyable!

Re: It's cold.

sacul1573 said:
-10 isnt so bad by itself, its usually the wind that comes along with it.

But when you get inside for a warm cup of coffee or coco, the cold makes it so much more enjoyable!

Isn't that like scraping yourself with a cheese grater because it feels so good when you stop? LOL!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seems cold here
befll006.jpg

Below zero the last 2 nights, but it's supposed to get up to freezing today. The long range forecast is for 40's for the next 6 or 7 days. :banana: Maybe the snow will finally have a chance to melt off the course.

Snow flurries as I type. Our collection of space heaters threw a circuit at the office. Tough call--do we want heat or printers?

Snow flurries as I type. Our collection of space heaters threw a circuit at the office. Tough call--do we want heat or printers?
that's a tough call..I'd say heat but that's just me

that's a tough call..I'd say heat but that's just me

Sadly, it's not my choice, and we have to keep producing year-end reports.

I have been in below zero weather before, maybe -10 at the most, but never for an extended period of time. Just didn't know what it was like when it gets to say -50 with the windchill. How dangerous can it be? Say you got stuck outside for an hour would it kill you in -30ish with windchill?

I have been in below zero weather before, maybe -10 at the most, but never for an extended period of time. Just didn't know what it was like when it gets to say -50 with the windchill. How dangerous can it be? Say you got stuck outside for an hour would it kill you in -30ish with windchill?

I have no idea... if you were dressed for the weather, you could probably ball up w/your back to the wind and survive an hour. For the -50w/windchill instance, I was walking to class in downtown Milwaukee, between all those tall buildings where the wind really kicks up. I would walk a block and then duck inside a building's lobby for a minute or two to warm up my face, then head back out for another block and then duck back into another building. Took 25-30 minutes to get 3/4 mile to class, but there's no way I could've walked it all at once, or even in two stretches.

Measuring a 4,000 to 5,000 square foot house in it is no fun, I can tell you that. Layers of fleece, Sorel boots, face mask, good gloves; you have to bundle up. Doesn't take long for frost bite on your cheeks. I started this thread because I had a couple inspections that really took the steam out of my old body.

Kevin

I'm hoping the south land is out of the deep freeze by Sunday. Toady it only got as high as 25º, it is 22º at 4:00PM, should be around 12 or so tonight. Sunday looks like it may be around 37, next week back into the mid forties to fifties during the day mid twenties at night. At least that is better than this week has been over 8 days now of below freezing in the day time and single digits at night burrrrrrrr.

It truly depends on whether you are properly outfitted for it. I've seen -45 without figuring wind chill, and that is deadly if you aren't prepared for it. Face, fingers and toes will frostbite quickly if you aren't properly dressed. If your core temperature starts to drop, the body shuts off circulation to the extremities, and that just accelerates frostbite.

You gotta remember that wind chill is just a number of what if "feels like." It's really not any colder, it's just windy. The air temperature is still whatever it is. Look at it this way. If you set out water on a 35 degree day and the wind chill is 15, the water is not going to freeze.

Last edited:
You gotta remember that wind chill is just a number of what if "feels like." It's really not any colder, it's just windy. The air temperature is still whatever it is. Look at it this way. If you set out water on a 35 degree day and the wind chill is 15, the water is not going to freeze.

But the human body isn't a glass of water. The wind will draw heat away from unprotected parts of your body at the "feels like" rate, not at the actual temperature rate. It may not actually freeze, but it will still chill you into hypothermia very quickly, especially if you get wet or sweaty.

to give you an idea about -10 just think of the outside of your jacket getting so cold that it makes crackling sounds as it moves like it is breaking. If you have a moustache you could break it off in just a matter of a few minutes. the trick about the scarf around your face is actually does nothing to keep the cold out of your lungs it is mainly to keep any moisture out which takes longer to warm up in you body which also helps lower your core temperature and helps hypothermia set in faster.

0* this morning. I hate winter.

So stop typing!

I don't flatter myself to think I can control the weather.

Not enough snow to keep us out of the garage last night, so I'm a happy girl about that.

I don't flatter myself to think I can control the weather.

Not enough snow to keep us out of the garage last night, so I'm a happy girl about that.
making it back home unfrozen and intact does make for a good night

[YOUTUBEHD]ctB6E_3OyCM[/YOUTUBEHD]

Back