The Official Banter Away thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ricky, part of what makes you awesome is that you do care. You can feel bad for the guy and also happy for yourself at the same time, and nothing is wrong with that. Congrats on the soon to be promotion.

I have a little over a week to decide on whether or not I accept this position in Connecticut come July. I'm really torn on this.

I have a little over a week to decide on whether or not I accept this position in Connecticut come July. I'm really torn on this.

For what it's worth, the times I've been in CT (West Hartford/Avon) have been some of the nicest weather/scenery days that I've ever had (outside of my recent trip to Palm Springs, but that's a different animal.).

We're at different points in our lives and are probably interested in different things, but I would think hard about moving to that area if I had the chance.

With that said, I've only been in the Fall. I suspect my opinion could change if I lived there during the winter. But, you're used to crappy winter weather already.

For what it's worth, the times I've been in CT (West Hartford/Avon) have been some of the nicest weather/scenery days that I've ever had (outside of my recent trip to Palm Springs, but that's a different animal.).

We're at different points in our lives and are probably interested in different things, but I would think hard about moving to that area if I had the chance.

With that said, I've only been in the Fall. I suspect my opinion could change if I lived there during the winter. But, you're used to crappy winter weather already.

Seth is wise. New England in the Spring, Summer, Fall is one of the nicest places in the country. Like Seth said, winter sucks but it sucks in Pittsburgh also. I am sure my opinion doesnt mean much but I think you should take the job. Sometimes being out of our comfort zone is a good thing. Whatever you decide, I know it will be the right decision for you buddy.

Fact. My only hesitation is the cost of living -- through the roof up there. And I'm still in school, so I haven't really had a chance to apply elsewhere yet. Only applied at Cigna because it was an early decision type company. I hesitate to accept and get a better offer elsewhere and then have to rescind. I know it happens, but I'd feel like a real jagoff.

Why would anyone ever want to leave Pittsburgh? See, you managed to bring me back around here with this post, haha!

Hope everyone around here is doing well! Football season finally wrapped up for me so I have a ton more free time all of a sudden (we were 16-0, Pennsylvania State Champions..so that's pretty cool!). I need to stop being a bum and get myself active again.

wrong thread

Last edited:
Why would anyone ever want to leave Pittsburgh? See, you managed to bring me back around here with this post, haha!

Hope everyone around here is doing well! Football season finally wrapped up for me so I have a ton more free time all of a sudden (we were 16-0, Pennsylvania State Champions..so that's pretty cool!). I need to stop being a bum and get myself active again.

Congrats on the successful season

I can assure you its not just puppy dogs and ice cream up there. I enjoyed my time, but no where near some other places I have lived. Its very gray for much of the time, its very cold during winter and the cost of living is very high.

COL will be fine if you get a roommate bud! Plus accepting early will give you the chance to find the right roommate, not some loser. Plus, I'm sure there is a commute that can be made to help with some costs.
Fact. My only hesitation is the cost of living -- through the roof up there. And I'm still in school, so I haven't really had a chance to apply elsewhere yet. Only applied at Cigna because it was an early decision type company. I hesitate to accept and get a better offer elsewhere and then have to rescind. I know it happens, but I'd feel like a real jagoff.

There are spots in every city where cost of living can be managable, even though you think it is "through the roof." Also, I don't mean to be blunt, but what are your other options?

I can assure you its not just puppy dogs and ice cream up there. I enjoyed my time, but no where near some other places I have lived. Its very gray for much of the time, its very cold during winter and the cost of living is very high.
I don't mind the grey weather because Pittsburgh is VERY grey haha. And cold. You don't have any pull in the healthcare IT world in Florida, do you Josh? Haha
COL will be fine if you get a roommate bud! Plus accepting early will give you the chance to find the right roommate, not some loser. Plus, I'm sure there is a commute that can be made to help with some costs.
Yeah, absolutely. That's a perk, for sure. But at the same time, I don't know that I want to live with roommates anymore.
There are spots in every city where cost of living can be managable, even though you think it is "through the roof." Also, I don't mean to be blunt, but what are your other options?
At present, no options. But I don't graduate until April and this job doesn't start till July, so it's not like I won't be applying elsewhere down the road.

I don't mind the grey weather because Pittsburgh is VERY grey haha. And cold. You don't have any pull in the healthcare IT world in Florida, do you Josh? Haha

Yeah, absolutely. That's a perk, for sure. But at the same time, I don't know that I want to live with roommates anymore.

Only a healthcare headhunter and I am not sure they deal with first job applicants. Sorry about that dude.
As for the roommate, I agree with you, then add in the few rentals that are even available in the "center" and its hard. We were back up there last year and I casually looked at a few places as we like doing that and the prices are just out of line based on what is there. Then factor in the taxes and its just absurd.

Now the downside is that if you are in your field, there is a whole lot in that area in terms of employment.

Only a healthcare headhunter and I am not sure they deal with first job applicants. Sorry about that dude.
As for the roommate, I agree with you, then add in the few rentals that are even available in the "center" and its hard. We were back up there last year and I casually looked at a few places as we like doing that and the prices are just out of line based on what is there. Then factor in the taxes and its just absurd.

Now the downside is that if you are in your field, there is a whole lot in that area in terms of employment.

Rent doesn't seem to be too much higher than it is for me here in Pittsburgh right now, so that's not that bad I guess. Maybe $200 a month more or so, on the worst end. I've gotta just make a list of pros and cons and see what I get, I suppose.

I don't advocate being a jag, but is there any weird stipulations in there about accepting the offer, and then potentially backing out at a later date? You said you don't graduate until April, and the job starts in July. Could you not accept, and then continue to look into other opportunities? Each job offer I've gotten says either the company or myself could back out at any time.

Rent doesn't seem to be too much higher than it is for me here in Pittsburgh right now, so that's not that bad I guess. Maybe $200 a month more or so, on the worst end. I've gotta just make a list of pros and cons and see what I get, I suppose.

What area of "the center" are you looking to rent in?

What area of "the center" are you looking to rent in?

Preferably West Hartford, as that seems to be where most people my age reside.

Preferably West Hartford, as that seems to be where most people my age reside.

I was referring to West Hartford Center which is a part of West Hartford. Make SURE you go down there and see sections of the town because they are definitely not all equal including much of West Hartford.

I was referring to West Hartford Center which is a part of West Hartford. Make SURE you go down there and see sections of the town because they are definitely not all equal including much of West Hartford.

See, that's another negative for me. The move would be essentially sight unseen. When we interviewed all we saw was the airport, their campus, and a little bit of downtown Hartford.

See, that's another negative for me. The move would be essentially sight unseen. When we interviewed all we saw was the airport, their campus, and a little bit of downtown Hartford.

I see. So you have not seen West Hartford really huh?
I would strongly (and I mean strongly) recommend taking a trip there before moving. Especially to see the little pockets. It is one of the most segmented places I have ever been to and 5 blocks could literally be a completely different area.

I see. So you have not seen West Hartford really huh?
I would strongly (and I mean strongly) recommend taking a trip there before moving. Especially to see the little pockets. It is one of the most segmented places I have ever been to and 5 blocks could literally be a completely different area.

I guess I'm going to have to just go. It's just hard to find time to make a 6 hour drive out there to look around while I'm in school.

I guess I'm going to have to just go. It's just hard to find time to make a 6 hour drive out there to look around while I'm in school.

When you are going to make the trip, I can recommend a few places that are worth seeing in terms of living if West Hartford is your choice.

When you are going to make the trip, I can recommend a few places that are worth seeing in terms of living if West Hartford is your choice.
Shoot me a PM if you have some other recommendations, if you don't mind. I'm more than open to suggestions, being as I don't know the area. I just assumed that West Hartford would be the smart/safe choice being that I don't really know anybody in CT and that most of the young professionals are living in West Hartford.

I don't advocate being a jag, but is there any weird stipulations in there about accepting the offer, and then potentially backing out at a later date? You said you don't graduate until April, and the job starts in July. Could you not accept, and then continue to look into other opportunities? Each job offer I've gotten says either the company or myself could back out at any time.

Missed this one, sorry. But you're right. That's my plan I think. I would just feel bad about backing out, but that's just my nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back