Typically - do you take a FULL practice swing before every shot ?

I rarely if ever take a practice swing on full shots. Chipping and putting, now that's a different story.

Driver: Rarely. Only if it's been quite a few swings since I last used it. For example, our 6th is a par 5 and the 7th is a par 3, so from teeing off on six to finishing 7 feels like a lot of swings between uses, so I'll take a practice swing on 8.

Woods/hybrids/irons: Yes, probably one, sometimes two. Depends on the lie or if I'm trying to shape a shot or something like that.

Wedges: I'll take practice swings until I do two in a row of what I feel is the shot I want to hit, generally. So if I get a good first practice swing, I'll say that's the one, then I'll do it again and say yup, still good. Then I'll skull my pitch shot right over the green.

I used to be one of the people that didn't take any practice swings....just a few waggles to get comfortable and pull the trigger....but I now find myself taking at least once 1/2 speed swing prior to most shots.

I think I posted in the previous thread, but one and done for me. Two quick ones sometimes on touch shots (chips/pitches).

I very rarely take a practice swing unless I need to hit a shot that isn't my typical shape etc. When that's the case I might take a couple swings but never full blooded, just nice and smooth to get a feel for what I'm trying to achieve.

I never really take the swing I'm going to swing unless it's an awkward chip or I'm getting a feel for thick grass. But normally it's a half swing just to get a feel for the club and then Approach the ball. I'm mostly a feel player

Not normally, I don't really take any practice swings. Set up, give a couple waggles and go.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Great Topic!

Best example I can give you is me...giving up free golf...OFTEN just because the guy who wants to take me is the slowest player I've ever met and is so slow it actually gets me off my game.
My father in law, (70ish) started up golf "semi seriously" the same time I did. (about this time 2 years ago).

I must admit I am an athlete and can usually pick up most sports mechanically pretty easily and have learned through many years of hockey that it takes a certian mental state just as mucgh as getting a decent swing on the ball.

My Father in law will do a practice swing when he removes the club from his bag. Practice swing before he walks up on the ball. 2-3 practice swing right before setting his feet and then a waggle or 2 and then he finally swings to hit the ball.
Myself learned from my father with a basic conception, 1,2,100 practice swings it wont matter. your either going to hit good or your not and if your confident walking to the ball the first time you'll be more then ok.

Sorry for the rant, and by the way I stand behind the ball and waggle while picturing where I think I want the ball to go. Walk up, fix shirt, address the ball, wagle swing.

I do, but no more than one or two. I spend most of my time looking at my target, then I'll give a swing while I'm looking at it, step up to the ball, and GO.

Generally two, but sometimes only one if it felt really smooth. I've played with those guys who take about 6 and it drives me nuts!

Personally, it's how many I need to get comfortable. It's normally not many though.

I honestly don't care how slow you are. If you need to take the extra 15 seconds to become comfortable, take it.
This :)

Most often one or two, under 75m maybe three or if delicacy is required even 4-5. It just needs to feel right. If it doesn't I try to step away and do my routine again. If possible I do my practice swings when I'm out of sight of others playing while they do their routine. I try to always look when other players are hitting so I can help them search when needed or compliment when deserved ;)
Oh and I'm not the fastest of players, but I'm not slow either. Played 18 holes today in just under 3 hours with a threeball, walking and carrying. Normally it's 2h40min or so :)

Maybe I'm alone in this one, but it drives me a bit nuts when my playing partners stand around doing nothing instead of taking practice swings when the course is busy.

We played in a scramble with groups teeing off of both 1 and 9 every few minutes, so the course was pretty backed up. We'd be waiting behind a group, knowing another group was right up behind us. I'd pull my driver or whatever other club I was teeing off with while we were waiting, and take some swings so I'd be ready to go as soon as I was up. The other guys would stand around, chatting, checking phones, whatever, and then when they were up, THEN they'd pull their club, walk around the tee box, take 4-5 swings, etc.

1 I can handle, 2 is pusing it, 3 I don't want to play with you anymore.

1 smooth(3/4 speed) swing on full shots and 2 on a chip to get the feel of the grass and length of swing.
When I see those guys that take 3 and 4 practice swings, it kinda gets under my skin....just a little.

When I'm playing well, I don't take any full practice swings for full swing shots. If the wheels are coming off, I may rehearse a swing before the shot.

For touch shots within about 80 yards, I will generally take 1 to 3 practice swings as this is a feel thing. However, this happens very rapidly (within a few seconds).

Yes.......one full practice swing.

When I'm playing well, I don't take any full practice swings for full swing shots. If the wheels are coming off, I may rehearse a swing before the shot.

For touch shots within about 80 yards, I will generally take 1 to 3 practice swings as this is a feel thing. However, this happens very rapidly (within a few seconds).

This is the same for me, if I'm going good it's step up and hit!

So a question for a few of you. If you may take a practice swing when your not doing to well or when the wheels are coming off, wouldn't that mentally hurt you. Knowing that when your doing it your telling yourself your in trouble ?

I would think that I am the kind that takes a couple of swings before the actual shot. Most of the time I am practising at the range instead of playing on course due to the higher green fee where I am located (Singapore).

However, ever since I played an actual course at Batam, I discovered I am the kind of step up, hit and go guy. No practice swings at all except for chip shots on to the green where I need to get a feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't ever take a practice swing. At one time I would when I was putting, but I don't even do that anymore.

So a question for a few of you. If you may take a practice swing when your not doing to well or when the wheels are coming off, wouldn't that mentally hurt you. Knowing that when your doing it your telling yourself your in trouble ?

I don't think so. If I'm hitting horrible shots its obvious and theres not much i could do to make things worse. And its usually a tempo thing. Taking a deliberate practice swing with that swing thought in mind, for example,"make a full shoulder turn and start down slow" may in fact give me confidence I can turn things around.

I don't think so. If I'm hitting horrible shots its obvious and theres not much i could do to make things worse. And its usually a tempo thing. Taking a deliberate practice swing with that swing thought in mind, for example,"make a full shoulder turn and start down slow" may in fact give me confidence I can turn things around.

Makes sense. I was just taught to have the same routine on each shot. So it puzzled me to change it up here and there.

Makes sense. I was just taught to have the same routine on each shot. So it puzzled me to change it up here and there.

I think you're right to have the same routine all the time. And if I'm playing decent I do. But if I'm cold topping or chunking the crap out of everything a change can't hurt.

Back